If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Going back to school

GAPGAP
edited 2014-04-14 06:57:54 in General

I have taken a long break from school but I wonder if I should go back? There were many things that I wanted to do but I could never decide on what I wanted. At first I wanted to be a doctor but I realized that IO didn't have the passion for medicine. I also wanted to be a programmer but I realized that I am not that good at Advanced Math, I also wanted to be an Engineer although I also realized I need to do Advanced math as well. There are lots of things that I wanted to do but I don't know if I should stick to one career. What should I do?

Comments

• edited 2014-04-14 07:42:20

Don't ask me, I don't fucking know.

That's something you figure out yourself.

Really though, you need to ask yourself what you want to do. Do you want to take a chance on something you really want, or do you want some measure of stability and safety?

• Go for an MBA, you can peddle soulless managerial skills in pretty much any sector.  

• Stop relying on anonymous Internet strangers to make life decisions for you.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

1. Random internet strangers are not good sources of information, though I admit that sometimes they can be sources of inspiration or ideas.

2. I've come to the realization that, no matter what path one chooses, there's gonna be something unpleasant about that path -- long hours in practice sessions for a musician, writing papers in the sciences and social sciences, slogging through highly advanced applied math as an engineer -- and there's no way of avoiding it.  But once you get through that, you will almost certainly feel that you've accomplished something awesome.

3. A lot of people make a career out of one thing, and also do something else on the side.  Some people become more famous for the something else.  Different people put different amounts of time and effort into the two sides, depending on their needs and their desires.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Appliad maths are a bad thing for engineers? What I hate is making papers.

• At least you get to go back to school, some asshole stabbed five people to death at an end of University classes party yesterday.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I'd say stabbing people to death goes beyond what usually gets one classified as a mere asshole.

• I have considered more "choice" words to describe him (the suspect is the son of a senior police officer, god damn it) but I'm kind of in shock at the moment.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Sorry to hear of this, though at least it's good to know you are safe.

• Don't worry about me, I was never in danger from a spree that happened at a house party only a handful of people were invited to. Still, being called the worst mass murder in the city's history doesn't sound too great.