If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Twitch Plays Pokémon part 2

edited 2014-03-01 19:32:51 in Webspace
My arms are falling off!

As amusing and awesome the original TPP was, there's apparently a new adventure coming up, and it's in high demand.

Why does everyone want a new TPP? It's already taking a big enough toll on Twitch, to say nothing of the fact that continuing TPP would just degrade its status from "social experiment where 100,000+ people somehow beat the game" to "deader horse than All Your Base or Arrow In The Knee."

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

1. The original's already over?

2. What do they want to do now?  I mean, it's already spawned a bunch of imitators (playing Mario, playing Final Fantasy, etc.)

• My arms are falling off!

Yep. TPP completed the entire game in 16 days.

They'll probably do Gen 2 or something.

Confirmed: They're doing Gen 2. Time to prepare an advance funeral for the horse that is TPP.

On a less cynical note: I can't wait to see them attempt the ice puzzles, or that one gym that boots you back if you don't follow the hidden path across the floor correctly.

• "Why does everyone want a new TPP?"

1. It will be interesting to see how they fare when the AI isn't as terrible at decision-making as they are. (although the mob also had time to get the hang of things)

2. It ends with Red, a fitting conclusion to the TPP saga.

It's only one new game so far, and a logical next step at that. No need to sound the Ruined FOREVER siren too soon.

One game was good enough. Two is stretching it. Three and I'm just going to forget that anything after Red's victory ever happened.

Twitch had to rearrange their infrastructure because of how consistently populated TPP was for two weeks.

• It's not that I think this thing could be "ruined forever" so much as I think that the height of emotional investment has already been reached.

Doing another game or even 3 more after is just gonna be more of the same, not bad, but not inspirational anymore, which is what TPP became at one point.

• They're somethin' else.

I still have no idea what Twitch Plays Pokemon is.

• edited 2014-03-12 04:49:27
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

1. Hook up an emulator to stream on twitch.tv (the website).

2. Hook up a thing that passes inputs to the chat of that stream as button inputs to the emulator.  (Saying "up" or "a" means pressing the up button or the A button in the emulator.)  Everyone in chat can do this.

3. Announce it to the internet.

4. ?????

5. Become an internet sensation.

• Well, they hacked TPP Red's team into Crystal. Seeing Zapdos curb stomp everyone at first was impressive, but they've finally won. Sure, Crystal was a lot easier, but the Elite Four and Red were still exciting, especially since the former was actually harder the second time around. And while the first TPP was about how people could figure out the system and how to coordinate all those users, this time it was all about how fans could set aside their differences to work together.

TPP's creator says they're going to keep going until people completely lose interest. For me, the story's finished, so I'm probably done following it. But at least they have 5-6 days before Emerald.

I was hoping the mob would time out so that TPP Emerald wouldn't happen. But alas, Red had one job, etc.

Count me out of Emerald, I stopped following pkmn after Gen II anyway.

• I still have no idea why you're so upset over something you're not going to watch. It's not like the creator is going to go back and re-edit the original Twitch Plays Pokemon, and it's transitioned from fad to cult following. I'm not interested in Emerald either, but it's for the 10,000 viewers who still are.

Because it's kind of a dead horse to me at this point? To me it's gone from "legendary experiment" to "same shit different game".

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, I gotta say it's kinda gotten old hat for me.  Even for a person who thoroughly played and enjoyed gen 1, I was at best amused at the concept at the beginning, but then it just became people playing Pokémon very badly, slowly, even in the Red version run.

Though I guess they still have an audience.

Maybe I've been overreacting but my point still stands: I feel the experiment was at its best in its first iteration, because at the time it hadn't been done (with a sufficient degree of popularity) before.