If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How you're always assumed male on the internet until proven otherwise.

edited 2014-03-03 17:40:08 in Webspace

So recently, thanks to the use of a certain gendered pronoun, I discovered that Central Avenue is actually female. The first thing to come to mind was "holy crap, CA's a girl?" The second was "Why am so I surprised by that?"

What is it about the internet that makes you assume everyone is male, anyway? I mean, wouldn't it make more sense to not make any assumptions on gender until you know for certain? But like most others, I have fallen victim to the classic "there are no girls on the internet" trap, and that kind of bugs me how this is a thing.

Comments

• My arms are falling off!

Tumblr is the inverse: everyone is female until proven otherwise.

• Isn't she trans, if I recall correctly? Could explain where the confusion came from. 

• blah blah blah societal preconceptions blah blah blah

• Centie calls herself a Princess a lot, too...

• I'm not really familiar enough with her to have noticed that.

• Replace proven with stated (depending on the site, of course). And it's really just an heuristic, if most people who frequent a place are male, then it's very likely any given person you're talking to is male. Just as Raydere said, the opposite is true in tumblr, a female populated site.

• an heuristic

I know this is supposedly correct grammar, but this really bothers me.

• edited 2014-03-04 11:59:31
    a little muffled

It's not correct grammar.

(Well that's not really true either. It's not any more correct than "a heuristic", though. There are probably accents in which the H in heuristic is silent, which means both of them are permissible in writing. But it looks dumb anyway.)

• > arguing about pronuncations

> English

• Leave them be, it's not their fault their language is so silly.

• This amuses me, because years ago, before I came out as trans, I used to get the opposite

People would be like "whoa, CA's a guy?"

To which I'd be like "well yeah but i sure wish i wasn't"

Kiiiinda still in denial about the whole trangendered thing back then :P

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Well, it's just you got the wrong body. You're past the surgery already, not yet, preparing, whatever? (Or is it a matter I shouldn't have asked about?)

• I'm out to my friends and family and currently going through the whole "therapy" part, since that's all I can afford :V

Fuckin' American healthcare system

• Because society for the most part operates on the function of "Male as Default" because it's still kind of sexist that way. To answer the OP.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Which is funny because we aren't birds, so female is the default.