If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

"I don't like calling that [Washington National] airport 'Reagan'."

"You're such a Democrat!"

In other news, I still make use of Washington National, also known as National.  There's a statue at the entrance of some guy named Ronald I think.  Maybe.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You've got a McDonald-sponsored airport? (lol joke joke)

• I'd rather have a McDonald's-themed airport than yet another thing glorifying that piece of shit Reagan

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You wouldn't like my town then. :)

*flees*

• People despise things I like, and they love things I despise.

Anybody know where there might be a forum filled with people  like me?

• edited 2014-03-01 19:42:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

This is probably the closest one where you'll get real conversation.

Also, today is Chopin's birthday*, so I went to a piano practice room and played some music by Chopin, including the third Sonata, a few études (from the Op. 25 set, the fifth, sixth, eighth, tenth, eleventh ("Winter Wind"), and twelth ("Ocean")), a waltz (Op. 69 #2), a nocturne (Op. 9 #3), a ballade (Op. 38, which tells a distinctive tragic story), and a scherzo (Op. 39).

* Some people celebrate it on 22 February, but he said his birthday is on 1 March, so I celebrate it then.

• Okay, I think I'll like it here.

Heh.

HEY GUIS WHAT WHAT ERASMUS'S BIRFDAY?

Guess what?  Nobody knows.  We know nothing of his first twenty years of life that doesn't come from him, and he gave conflicting accoutns and lied a bunch because he was deeply ashamed of his origins.

• /v/ the Musical is a thing of beauty, although it's a bitch to find a proper playlist on the tubes. 

• edited 2014-03-11 03:39:05

What's a word that begins with L, is four letters long, and is related to the feeling of nostalgia or of calmness after a fairly dramatic story or series of events?

BTW, someone please let me know when cdjapan does a special discount for first-time purchasers.  Last time they did it I think it was like 800 yen off.  And I missed it by like an hour.

• "Lull", maybe?

Is this a crossword thing?

• edited 2014-03-11 20:24:34

Nah.  There's three ballads by Melocure, and all of them are really, really great songs.  One of them deals with love (it is actually titled "Agapé"), one of them suggests (to me) and glorifies the concepts of life and living, and the third one feels very apt as a calming ending theme after (or perhaps, looking back at?) an emotional roller-coaster of a story but one which ends in a satisfactory way.

So one is "love", one is "life", and the last one...I need a four-letter word that starts with L to complement the other two.

• It's weird how my mind seems to make connections between two horrendously shitty things, in this case Atlas Shrugged and Metroid: Other M. Unlikeable Mary Sue characters (John Galt vs Adam Malkovich)? Check. Signature scene that signals to everyone that the work is terrible (The Speech vs Ridley Breakdown)? Check. Even worse scene that makes it utterly unredeemable (Train disaster vs Sector Zero)? Check. Stilted and boring as hell prose? Triple check.

I can't believe I actually want to liveblog Atlas Shrugged all over again, but it almost resembles my motive for re-reading a good book. That is, instead of wanting to find out what makes it so good, I want to find out what makes it so shitty. I guess it's better to be horrible than boring, because at least you remember the former.

• Theme music for the morning:

So the first time I ran into a Mos Def role, it was the role of Left Ear in The Italian Job (the 2003 movie).

Said character is named Left Ear because he is actually deaf in one ear, from playing with explosives too much.

I thought the character's actual name was "Mos Def".  As in, "mostly deaf".

• Happy St. Paddy's Day! 

Landsat is AMAZING.

IJBM: CDJapan is having a big sale...and none of said sale includes works by Ritsuko Okazaki.

• edited 2014-03-18 14:18:41

Welp, we got robbed this morning at home. We got held at gunpoint and tied up. Thankfully we're all fine. My close family lost an insured car, an alarm box (?) and the old laptop I used for everything (it's backed up). My uncle's close family (we live in different residences but share the same land plot) lost another insured car, clothes, some paintings the robbers liked, and miscelaneous stuff I'm not aware of, and he also was beat up and sounded badly hurt (much of his pain was made up, good tip).

Assuming things work out with the car insurances, we got off okayish, although now there's a bunch of security issues around home, including a hole in the front fence (they used a jack to open up a space between two of the (not too thick) concrete beams that make up the fence, I certainly didn't see that one coming).

At my end of the wire, I'm getting the feel like I'll be the last to laugh. My folks called me mad, you know. And now, if they had their way I wouldn't own a hazmat suit, and what? Not so funny, eh? Heh heh. Heh eh heh heh.

But I haven't been robbed, so I'll grant you that (I'm not trying to one-up you or what, just sayin'). Sounds nasty. Good thing the car is insured.

Sorry to hear of the robbery.  Hope things go well for your and your uncle's families and that the thieves are caught and prosecuted.

• I hate to say it, but there is a good chance they'll get away with it. The country, hell the continent doesn't seem super tough on crime.

• Yeh, they're most likely getting away. That said, we'll be fine, nothing that can't get fixed in due time.

• edited 2014-03-19 18:25:15
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Nobody got badly hurt and that's a plus, I guess.

I could put it in one or another thread for cinematics, but here looks like a better place to throw in some discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nv2KEE_RkQ 

So, like, this is an ad for a notable local convention. The joke, besides the dice, is that a company making dice is offering their wares as prizes in some contest or several. What might have been expected, the ad caused some ruckus. You know the trade. Nudity, objectification, blah blah blah.

Well, it's not like the rest of the ad had anything to do with the convention.

I personally don't mind, looks to me like it's, you know, playing with the idea of a sex-based ad, but seems like surprisingly many people disagreed. Which brings me to some thinking on the fandom. Folks like these, those outspoken in the fandom, tend to be veering towards the political left rather noticeably. On the other hand, in my limited experience, fandom commoners seem to be, so to say, removed from that. This is some fun discrepancy.

• edited 2014-03-20 11:43:58

I guess I'm just desensitized to that kind of thing at this point, but it's more absurd than anything. But I'll stop there before it turns into another "overwhelmingly male forum dictates how women should feel about gender issues" discussion. Seriously though, your casual invalidation is annoying.

As for fandom and politics, it really depends on the source. Harry Potter fandom is more left-wing because the books espouse those values; tech fandom (including video games, Apple) tend to be more libertarian because Internet. Also, it's not just lefties that bring on the crazy; remember the shit-heads who sexually harassed Miranda Pakozdi over a fighting game and their enablers?

• edited 2014-03-20 11:59:43
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^ Hey, if he gets a slap on the wrist for that, then it isn't yet that bad. Could've been worse. Although this isn't much of a consolation, I've gotta admit.

^^ You, mhhh-mmmmm, might be reading bit too deep into what I wrote there. I bring up lefties (I'll stick to your naming for convenience) because I've been under an impression that the vocal ones, you know, folks who set up blogs and stuff, seem to be lefties rather than the opposite, while my limited experience with the common fandom folks would rather point me towards that opposite. Shit-heads and sexual harassers and Randroid overentitled nerds being the extreme end. Not to mention I'm speaking about personal experience, which for obvious reasons is limited in scope in various ways. You can complain about generalizations, I am trying to use unclear wording (all these "seems" and "tend to") but I expect it's not always obvious. 

For another thing, you make a point about the source of fandom. Hmm. I was thinking that fandoms these days are rather intertwined. You know, when you go to a convention it usually isn't dedicated specifically to some single work, unless it's really big (Star Trek and Star Wars come to mind), and even then you could probably expect the visitors not to be isolated from, say, the rest of the genre, especially not when the 'Net comes into play. Hmmm-mhhhm... Heh. You know what, this gets me thinking which works or genres could be isolated from the fandom "at large". I have some ideas but I won't say for sure. Perhaps you can tell more of that?

•  "I am trying to use unclear wording (all these "seems" and "tend to") but I expect it's not always obvious."

Yeah, sorry for jumping the gun. Reading intentions from text is not easy, so thanks for the clearing up.

The Internet is interesting. In theory, it should expand people's horizons, but in practice, it's too easy to simply look up your own confirmation biases and ignore opposing views (especially with personalized search being a thing; that deserves its own thread). As for isolated fandoms, I immediately think of franchises like Super Smash Bros which are more Nintendo than fighting game, so perhaps it's a matter of what label dominates most.

• edited 2014-03-20 13:59:42
    Diet NEET

It needs more beefcake. Seriously, how hard is it to dump a male model into the tub and have the lady let a handful of dice trickle of his abs? You almost never hear dudenerds moan about objectification unless it's in response to complaints about bikini armour and the like. 

Also relevant: http://youarenotsosmart.com/2011/06/10/the-backfire-effect/