If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Women are always right"

edited 2014-02-02 00:45:50 in Politics
My arms are falling off!

So yesterday, I was taking a stroll through a shopping district and I see a store displaying this.

(For those who can't load images: It's a pillow that says "Mr. Right", and an accompanying pillow that says "Mrs. Always Right".)

Nice to see that it's 2014 and "women are always right" (or the more extreme version, "men are always wrong [in the presence of women]") jokes are still acceptable. =/ Obviously, if the roles were flipped (such that it's "men are always right"), that would be cause for alarm, but this sort of thing is still okay to display in a store?

This isn't the first time I've seen this; at an art-and-wine festival a few years ago, I saw some cartoony art that read something along the lines of, "If a man is alone in a forest and no one is around to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Am I missing something here? Am I wrong for thinking it's silly (to put it kindly) that it's okay for men to be portrayed as fools and women as always correct?

Comments

• It's just another sign of people marginalizing each other for convenience and cultural inertia.

• It's silly and a double standard in some circles, but ultimately a great honking warning flag that the person in question might be using gender as a crutch for a flawed personality.

• Yeah, it's really kind of silly, but harmless. If you think this is bad, I hope you never look into divorces (or get one, for that matter).

• My arms are falling off!

But would you say the same if it was "Mrs. Right" and "Mr. Always Right"?

• Yes, because that would be an inversion of the typical stereotypes and thus be taken even less seriously. 

• edited 2014-02-04 07:19:42

Maybe I should put an ad in the paper looking for "Miss Right", "Ms. Right", "Mrs. Right", "Madame Right", "Droit de Mademoiselle", "白马公主", and "小姐", all at once.