If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer"

BeeBee
edited 2013-11-15 22:33:43 in General

No you're not.  Those are mutually exclusive concepts.

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Reminds me what a friend of mine told me about an opportunity she'd had to get hired by Google (she didn't apply but regretted it and decided to do so at next occasion). Google's pretty much the dream employer for programmers around here, judging from what I pick up from my buddies. Her opinion on sex parity policy was, she knows it's unjust to get hired because she's the girl in a group of applicants, but she can't complain about the benefits.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-11-16 15:04:40

I can't really blame anyone for pouncing on that at the moment.  There are literally no entry-level jobs -- programming or otherwise -- that aren't asking for gobs of experience.  If you have a way in around that, you pretty much have to take it.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-11-16 15:52:30

Here's another gem.

"2 + experience with professional software development. We are looking for all ranges of experience. "

These are also mutually exclusive concepts.  You'd think IBM would be more familiar with details of language and set theory.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I wonder if someone just didn't program those two to be mutually exclusive in some sort of checkbox list.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-11-16 16:25:12

No, that's in the hand-typed section.

It's kind of silly, because rather few of these positions have particularly stringent minimum requirements otherwise.  They basically outline stuff any CS student would have by the beginning of senior year, then tack on 3+ years experience at the very end because they want to hire each other's layoffs.

Actually, the biggest offenders for requiring scads of obscure things you'll never see outside a corporate environment are typically the "entry-level" positions advertised to new grads.  On at least one occasion I've seen an entry-level position that required experience with the company's own homebrew software.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    No you're not. Those are mutually exclusive concepts.

Only if all groups have equal chances of getting hired without affirmative action policies in place.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-11-19 19:37:23

I'm just facepalming at the wording.  Regardless of one's opinions on whether it's a good idea or not (mostly I just feel like it's an irritating bandaid measure so politicians can feel good while continuing to largely ignore appalling differences in available quality of education that cause the problem in the first place), it's still an artificial hiring preference that often takes precedence over qualifications and thus not equal.