If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I don't like gay marriages...

edited 2013-09-13 15:38:14 in Politics
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...so you can legalize it as much as you want, but I'm not going to get one. :D

Comments

• I'm not going to get one.

Oh really now?

• ...shouldn't you say "I don't like gay weddings" then?  I never say "I'm going to a marriage next weekend."

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No; the joke is that since I don't like gay marriages, I'm going to choose not to enter into a gay married relationship.  Rather than piss on the ability of people who would like to enter into such relationships, to do so.

• Something interesting happened to me once. I was talking to somebody about gay marriage--I think we were talking about how stupid it was that certain people were so resistant to it or something.

Anyway, a woman I knew overheard, came up and said that they were "same-sex marriages", not "gay marriages". I'd never seen her get upset before, about anything, but I could tell she was upset about this and trying hard not to lose her temper. I didn't immediately figure out why, but I apologized and didn't say "gay marriage" again after that.

I could have asked her why she had that reaction, but instead I tried to figure it out on my own. Maybe I should have asked, just to make sure I understood and didn't reach the wrong conclusion.

Anyhoo, after thinking about it here's the conclusion I reached. It wasn't that she was being pedantic. It was that she didn't like the term because it seems to imply that everybody who marries somebody of the same sex is gay, as opposed to bisexual, or omnisexual, or pansexual, etc.

I don't know if this is something that a lot of people would be offended by, but I still try to remember to call it same-sex marriage these days, just to be on the safe side. It's more accurate anyway.

• edited 2013-10-10 17:41:32

Is it?

If you're marrying someone of the same sex, isn't that a 'gay marriage'? Your entire sexuality doesn't need to be accounted for; that'd be kinda narcissistic. 

Maybe she objected to the word 'gay' cos it seems kinda female-exclusive? I dunno. The whole thing sounds really stupid. I have no idea why someone would get so upset over someone arguing in favour of something that's obviously important to her.

e: And it's not like called it "fag union" or "yaoi matrimony" or something. Maybe she was just being pedantic, dude.

• I have to admit, when it gets to that level of pedantry my reaction is basically

• Maybe she objected to the word 'gay' cos it seems kinda female-exclusive?

That could have been it.

• Wild guess: gay is ableist because it excludes homosexuals suffering from depression. 

• Maybe she didn't want people to think you were talking about a totally lame marriage.

• Nobody who gets married is allowed to be happy.

• ^Yeah, marriage sucks! I HATE IT SO MUCH AND WANT TO DROWN IT IN MAGMA. >_<

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Heh, I just read some essay by Brandon Sanderson. The guy says he'd like the gay marriage issue solved by abolishing all civil marriage in favour of civil unions.

• That's pretty much the line of thought my parents go for.

To me, that just seems like pointless pedantry on what you call it (as presumably at that point you'd actually bother making a civil union have all the same benefits).  And as per my response to pedantry...

• edited 2013-10-13 15:54:35
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I personally came to quite the same conclusion as him, that it'd be better if we just scrapped the civil marriage, you know, with relaxation of the rules for, like, visits at hospital and stuff to make up for this. But, I'd put it on the basis of a slippery slope argument. You know, like there already are polygamists and incest afficionados raising their heads, and why should they get any worse treatment than homosexuals? Give it some time, I was thinking, and the definition gets diluted enough that it would be easier to just drop it off.