If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Equestria Girls designs

edited 2013-10-11 03:01:07 in Media

They kind of remind me of designs for DiC shows done in the eight years or so before Cookie Jar (which, ironically, got swallowed up by DHX, the company that does MLP/EqG) bought them...

I'm not crazy, am I:

Equestria Girls character designs

Mary-Kate and Ashley In Action

Trollz

Comments

• I can see the resemblance. Those sort of generic, stiff poses...

• They're stuck in that place between "obviously cartoon horse" and "humanoid" that makes me shriek inwardly, contemplate my place in the universe, and come to very bad conclusions.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-11 03:33:29

That's pretty typical for concept art on the whole (make one puppet and edit it superficially for all the other characters).  It's worse for shows with a toy line.  If we were to compare to the main pony series, the equivalent would be the stock vectors they use on the toy boxes and promotional art that don't even have all the right joints.

Still, yes, I have quite a bit of loathing for the EQG designs.  Reminds me too much of Bratz, which I would've preferred to stay quietly dead.

• I always had a hard time buying that human Rainbow Dash and Applejack would wear skirts on a regular basis. Seems like Dashie would be more likely to wear athletic shorts/pants and AJ would just wear jeans.

• Wow, you guys are late to the party.

Anyway, I think it's obvious why AJ and RD are wearing skirts in their designs. The dolls are mass-produced, which means to save on manufacturing costs they have to have the same type of clothing.

• Well, duh, but it's still annoying.

I can't really imagine what kind of kids would want to play with Equestria Girls dolls anyway. What's the point of My Little Pony toys if you take out the "pony" part?

• Cashing in on Disney high school drama.

• They're stuck in that place between "obviously cartoon horse" and "humanoid" that makes me shriek inwardly, contemplate my place in the universe, and come to very bad conclusions.

Same here.

If I didn't know better, I'd think they're aliens.

• edited 2013-10-12 00:28:06

I can't really imagine what kind of kids would want to play with Equestria Girls dolls anyway. What's the point of My Little Pony toys if you take out the "pony" part?

You'd think Hasbro would have learned their lesson after "Transformers that don't transform".

• edited 2013-10-12 13:32:36
    There is love everywhere, I already know

The dolls are mass-produced, which means to save on manufacturing costs they have to have the same type of clothing.

Halfway prints!

What I'm bothered by is that the dolls don't actually look anything like that picture (But I guess if Barbie./Bratz does it it's cool for them to do too!)

Cashing in on Disney high school drama.

2015: My Little Pony: Really Just Some Live-Action Nonsense And Pretending They're Ponies.

I can't really imagine what kind of kids would want to play with Equestria Girls dolls anyway.

I can't really imagine what type of little girls would want to play with modern toys anyways (Apparently basic Barbie dolls are even less articulated than they were ten-ish years ago) so I'm not sure there's any logic to buying toys for kids anymore anyways.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What is with that very odd waist-/thigh-ish bump jutting out of every character's figure?

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-10-12 14:02:40

You mean the part where artists in children's entertainment think the female pelvis is attached at a 45 degree sideways angle?