If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

TVTropes Is Down

123457»

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

@Bee: I just checked, there's the [note] and the [labelnote] now. The [labelnote] stands for hottip.

• Notes are what replace [=hottip:*:TEXT=], labelnotes for [=hottip:DISPLAYTEXT:TEXT=].

Either way, site's back up, and http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=kiqoyj58taihfp8hpbezck0s&page=3#54 here's an explanation.

I found out why I couldn't get TV Tropes to load again. I kept refreshing the standby page. -slaps myself-

• Interestingly enough, though, Eddie's actual name on his G+ page...is Gus.

• DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN

• edited 2013-09-09 16:11:39
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

THE PLOT THICKENS!

(You know, on second thought, this was a lame joke.) 

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

So the conspiracy theories were right all along.

• Well, it's not conclusive conclusive evidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie/Gus was sockpuppeting from the Buffy days.

• edited 2013-09-10 01:23:46

Wait, you've actually been around since back then?

Also, I can't help but be reminded of a thread on old BTL (back when it still had ".proboards.something" in the URL) where people concluded that "Eddie is/would do a lot of things, but surely he wouldn't pretend he was any of the other admins/founders".

• Nah, I've only been around since 2009 or so, but I've heard that TVT grew out of a Buffy community from news stories about the site.

Also, I can't help but be reminded of a thread on old BTL (back when it still had ".proboards.something" in the URL) where people concluded that "Eddie is/would do a lot of things, but surely he wouldn't pretend he was any of the other admins/founders".

It later turned out that Eddie and Janitor posted for the same IP. So, it sounds very likely that all three admins were in fact one person from the very beginning. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I don't know about Gus, but there's two perfectly mundane reasons for the latter -- one person visiting the other, or logging in as a different user for the purpose of testing software.

• Eddie and his headmates have their own way of dealing with things, and I want you to respect their life-choices and identity. Check your Singleton privilege, cis-scum.

• Eddie and Janitor sounded a lot alike in a lot of ways, but Janitor was so much more reasonable it's hard to believe she didn't just post from his place once.
  • I'm just gonna put it in the category of "willing to give benefit of doubt, but wouldn't be surprised if it's true".

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm just gonna put it in the category of "willing to give benefit of doubt, but wouldn't be surprised if it's true".

I take this position for like, a crapton of things.

• a little muffled

It is true that at any given time one of Eddie and Janitor was always much more active than the other, but it varied which. That part is a little reminiscent of some of the other sockpuppet sagas...

On the other hand, what Bastion said.

• Kichigai birthday!!

Interestingly enough, though, Eddie's actual name on his G+ page...is Gus

So, yeah.

Eddie's real name is Gus Raley.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Is it likely that Gus is not the same Gus that Eddie is? 'Cause it would be funny if Gus's real name was Eddie.

Yeah, I get it. I'm just asking if actually-Eddie-Gus was supposed to be Gus the co-admin, because I might be missing some details.

• edited 2013-09-12 14:47:10

I doubt the "Gus Raley" Google+ page was meant to be "Gus the co-founder". The Tropers/Gus poage says the guy died in '05, long before G+ was a thing.

...unless pages created for people who died years ago are somehow a thing.

Mhm. I'm trying to figure out if we do have enough of a reason to say Eddie is, or was, playing sockpuppets. If, to put it another way, we have reasons to believe the admin Gus really existed.