If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Old Western movies

BeeBee
edited 2013-08-25 15:50:22 in Media

Specifically, the marked preponderance of long, awkward scenes of cowboys singing songs around a campfire.  I get that it's a thing that happens, and it's occasionally not painful to sit in on in real life (hell, my family reunion had one).  But in a movie it completely screws over the pacing, and in a series of movies taken as a whole the songs all sound the same.

Comments

• I think it sort of fits, as so many Westerns are about long, drawn-out shots of landscapes, faceoffs, men on horseback, and people standing over corpses.  Men singing around a campfire are part of the (mostly fictitious) "cowboy mythos," so it makes sense that old Westerns would have too much of it. 

Still, I think that most of the best Westerns avoid it.  I don't remember it in any of the four Leone Westerns I've seen (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, TGTGATU, Once Upon a Time in the West).  No campfire scene in High Noon or Shane.  The Searchers definitely had one, though, and I think Silverado and the original True Grit both did as well.  And, of course, Blazing Saddles had the best possible send-up of cowboys around a campfire.  Whatever.  Maybe you just need to watch different Westerns. 

• a little muffled

TGTGATU
    The Good, The Gooder, and The Ungood?

• The Good, The Great, and The Unladylike

• They're somethin' else.

I know Mexican westerns do have that in abundance, what with their Mariachi stars like Antonio Aguilar and Vicente Fernandez and the like having films in the high double digits each.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

German westerns are mostly about noble Apache warriors and their gunslinger white blood brothers.