If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

edited 2013-08-17 16:19:12 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

You've probably heard of this.  This is that simpleton's JRPG that Square made for US Americans because they were worried people here were too stupid to understand JRPGs.  Not surprisingly, it didn't do very well, and is generally regarded as one of the worst FF games.

This guy has an interesting take on it: Happy Video Game Nerd: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

TL;DR: HVGN enjoys it as a no-commitment, lite JRPG for informal de-stressing.  And more importantly, he theorizes that its failure (along with FFII(US)'s success) may have been instrumental in bringing more (and more faithfully localized) JRPGs to the west in the SNES era.

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Wasn't Mystic Quest actually a game from a completely different series (SaGa, I believe), reskinned with the Final Fantasy name?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

No, you're thinking of the three Final Fantasy Legend games for Game Boy.

Alternatively, Final Fantasy Adventure for Game Boy, which is from the Mana series.

• They're somethin' else.

The music rules, if that's a consolation.

The Final Fantasy Adventure is fucking amazing, though.

• The music does indeed rule.

• Wasn't SaGa made by a different company, then distributed by Square under the Final Fantasy Legend brand?

• I would never, ever play a game just for the soundtrack.  I've tried FFMQ multiple times, but have never made it more than, say, 4 hours in.  I don't think it's a very good RPG. 

And I'm not sure about the SaGa games.  All of the ones I've played have been on the Square/Square-Enix brand; I always assumed it was an in-house Square studio that made SaGa and little else. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It's got a decent soundtrack, though I remember feeling it was a bit generic at times.  Also, I got bored of the battle squares.  I think I dropped it somewhere in the middle of the ice cave.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-08-19 23:56:24

Playing a game exclusively for the soundtrack is a bad idea, yeah.  Otherwise people would think Link: the Faces of Evil is a good game.

Or at least people who really like 80's music.

• Mystic Quest is a fucking excellent game!