If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Steam Summer Sale 2013

edited 2013-07-11 13:22:21 in Media
"I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."
It's happening from today until the 22.
Problem is that it's impossible to log on to the store page right now.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Does someone have the Steam Sale rules handy?  The ones that say things like "don't buy anything that's not a daily deal until the last day" and such.

I'd like to add an addendum to it: Anytime you want to buy something, check whether buying directly from the developer might get you both a Steam key and a DRM-free version.

• My goal: buy Ys, Dishonored, and Dust if they go on sale for more than 60% off, and nothing else.  My wallet needs all the help it can get. 

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Oh hey, Thomas Was Alone at 75% off. Purchases: 1.

• You can change. You can.

I got Bioshock Infinite. Fairly sure I will regret it but meh

• No rainbow star

My rule right now is avoid Steam as I am so fucking broke it isn't even funny

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Got Antichamber and Bastion.

• *sneezes*

So it turns out for every $10 you spend you get a trading card.

Well, I promised someone I'd get 'em Portal 2 if it went to 75% off.  That's $4.99.

If Ys I & II Chronicles gets discounted -66% to $5.09 (as Ys: the Oath in Felghana has been before), that would be a game that I want that also adds up to a minimal amount over $10.

I just need to watch these two.

Is Brave New World worth it for 33% off? I just got Civ 5.

Looks like Portal 2 is heading for a 75% discount at $5.00, rather than $4.99.  Cheap bastards.

On the other hand, the competition is Mirror's Edget at -70%.  So screw that.  Go vote for Portal 2.

• edited 2013-07-12 11:06:10

Welp, I fucked that up. Grabbed Sine Mora and Thomas Was Alone. Both 75% off.  And yeah, GMH, I already own Ys Oath and Ys Origin but I have my eye on I+II. My big target is still Dust AET, though.  If that hits 75% off then I'll trip over myself buying it. 

I might also pick up Go Home Dinosaurs since a meatspace friend of mine worked on it.  That said, that would put my total expected spending on the summer sale up to about $12.50.

• edited 2013-07-12 12:34:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh screw you GTA IV for beating out Portal 2.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

Aaaaand there's FTL on daily deal. Get my whole wishlist out of the way now, why don'cha? Purchases: 2.

• a little muffled

Bought XCOM: Enemy Unknown on flash sale because I forgot to get it when it was on sale a little while ago.

• edited 2013-07-13 06:45:43
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What kind of time was this to bury a Ys I & II Chronicles flash sale?!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223810/

$5.09 for another less than seven hours or so.  Basically, until 1 PM eastern U.S. time.

Same goes for Ys Origin: http://store.steampowered.com/app/207350/

and Ys: the Oath in Felghana: http://store.steampowered.com/app/207320/

That said, Ys Oath has gone down to $3.74 (-75%) before, and Ys Origin has gone down to $4.99 (-75% again) before too...so, buy or no buy?

• I jumped on it.  $5 versus $3.75 is forgettable.  I just spent $12 on laundry detergent.  I think I can buy it guilt-free over the cost of 10% of a jug of laundry detergent. 

now all I need is Dust: AET for 60% off or greater and I'll be done with the sale.  I'm giving up on Dishonored.  I won't be playing that for a year, probably, so I can wait for a future sale. 

Yeah, I picked it up too.  I figured if anything I could see the "extra" cost as an added investment to help bring these sorts of games to Steam and more generally to western PC-gaming audiences.

In other news, I'm still having to fend off people trying to tell me to get Antichamber (which does look interesting) and The Walking Dead (which allegedly has great narrative but I'm not sure is my sort of thing).

• I got Bioshock Infinite. Fairly sure I will regret it but meh

You won't. Bioshock Infinite is an amazing game.

In terms of my finances, not of the quality of the game.

I forgot to say I got FEZ and XCOM while they were daily deals.

That's 5 purchases already, and still 10 days to go.

And I only have $14 left.

So here's an example of "checking out a developer's own website":

Legend of Grimrock on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/207170/

-66%, $5.09

Legend of Grimrock, direct from developer, on Humble-based storefront: http://www.grimrock.net/store/

$5.09 as well.  "Purchase Legend of Grimrock for Windows and get it DRM-free and on Steam."

The only difference during this sale is that buying it direct won't count toward your total for getting specific Steam Summer Sale trading cards for throwing money at Steam.  In return, you get a DRM-free copy along with a Steam key.

• Considered buying Anno 2070 but then I found out it was published by Ubisoft and I was all "nope!"

I still remember the bullshit I had to pull to get From Dust to run at all.

In brighter news, I bought Antichamber and the Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim the first day, and I'm considering buying Universe Sandbox right now.

Well there goes a counter to all the little inclination I had to get Anno 2070.

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

Okay, looks like today is a GOOD day for sales:

* Total War: Shogun 2, $7.50

* Portal 2, $5

* Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition, $5.00

* ArmA II: Combined Operations, $8.50

• The problem with today's (actually yesterday's, I guess) sales is that all the good stuff is so good I already had it.

• edited 2013-07-15 06:15:57
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Yeah, it would seem most of the stuff catching my eye in the sale is stuff I already have, so I've only actually bought two titles so far — namely, Bioshock Infinite and Kerbal Space Program.

I got Mark of the Ninja.