If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Xbox One Gripe Thread

edited 2013-06-01 20:47:24 in Media
Wired asked Microsoft if installation would be mandatory. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” the company responded in an emailed statement. Sounds mandatory to us.

Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc.

Seriously, Microsoft? Goddamn, I never thought you guys would actually go through with this sort of bullshit.

Comments

• a little muffled

lol, microsoft

• I would say let them see what happens when they try to kill the used market during an economic downturn, but unfortunately a sufficient legion of frat boys will prop them up just fine...

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

This is nothing new. Several games have had this exact system for a while now.

• @Crimson: One, this is for the entire CONSOLE, not just a few games that might be on it. Two, it's still an absolutely horrible business practice.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Nobody is denying that.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Looking at the Xbox support Twitter, the fee thing apparently is not true. Also it seems it won't be backwards compatible

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport?p=s
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, it kinda makes sense from the publisher's perspective to consider used game sales (and temporary transfers like borrowing) akin to piracy, since they get no new money from that.  This doesn't justify what they're doing, not to mention that used game sales have been a thing for decades now.

• Then what's the point of having game discs at all?

Physical feelies for fans.

• Also, it puts less stress on some people's limited console hard drive space.
  • edited 2013-05-21 19:24:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> consoles with hard drive space

I don't know what you're talking about.

[/newest system is PS1]

([/outdatedness joke])

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I wonder if the always online thing is going to be an actual thing. Microsoft's decisions concerning the upcoming XBox seem to be pretty uniformly terrible, so between this kind of thing and the WiiU's poor performance, they might end up handing this console generation to Sony on a silver platter. 

• I really hope that the new Xbox will be always online, because then, I won't have to buy it.

thug lyfe
  • It's almost like these companies WANT to die out...

• Microsoft dying out?

Of the video game industry, maybe, but I've heard rumors they have a somewhat respectable market share when it comes to certain other tech products. :P

• a little muffled
    lol, windows 8
  • lol Internet Explorer

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

laughing at Microsoft and nobody even fucking mentions Windows Phone

i am so disappoint it hurts

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    Honestly, have Microsoft made anything good recently other than XNA?
  • Not really.  It's like they put everyone who knew their ass from their monitor onto their indie development kits, then staffed the rest of their projects with mildly-trained monkeys and the most clueless of focus groups.

• The thing about Windows 8 is that...well, it honestly doesn't matter how much it sucks, because it's gonna come preloaded on every major manufacturer's computers and thus people will use it anyway.

• Windows 8 is awful enough that I'm seriously tempted to go Linux on my next desktop.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

What is wrong with windows 8 exactly?

• The big picture is that it's a tablet OS that they tried to shoehorn into a desktop OS.

People who have actually used it can say more.

• a little muffled

@Bee:

Windows 8 is awful enough that I'm seriously tempted to go Linux on my next desktop.
    Well, it's not as though you can't use Windows 7 anymore, right?

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

One of my good friends is a PC gamer who currently has Windows 8 installed on his RoG laptop. Next time I see him, I'll make sure to ask him how he manages to live with it.

• a little muffled
    From what I hear, you can basically turn it back into Windows 7 if you want.

I've actually heard a surprising number of non-negative reviews of Windows 8 (not pro reviews but actual users).

As for good things Microsoft has done recently, probably the updated re-release of Age of Empires II.

• Yes I meant the gaming division of Microsoft. Not the company itself xD

• People who have actually used it can say more.

It's perfectly serviceable as a media consumption station (which tablets mostly are), but the moment you want to do stuff, it becomes somewhat uncomfortable.