If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

How strongly music genre is tied to instrumentation

edited 2013-05-14 10:40:12 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

In the course of my complicated ponderings of which genres of music I like or dislike, I gradually came to realize that a large number of genres are defined by instrumentation.  For example, feature violin and piano and people will think "classical", feature a saxophone and people will think "jazz", feature electric guitars and people will think "rock" or "metal".  On the other hand, there's much less emphasis placed on things like musical form (most popular genres use the verse-refrain song form, while things like techno use textural forms that have more in common with the fugue than with verse-refrain pop songs) or musical content (which disappoints me since things like harmony are apparently the first-order approximation of my tastes, based on my self-analysis).

Comments