If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2013-05-07 19:32:23
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You know, whenever you post anything of this sort, I feel some grim sort of smug self-satisfaction. I mean, I've been, so to say, unsupportive of Chavez and his lot the whole time. Now it turns out folks agree it actually wasn't a Glorious Bolivarian People's Revolution of the People, and you likely aren't even a paid CIA agent. It feels like I was right, or some other stupid shit like that. Yeah, I know it's silly. I just wanted to say that.

edit: I don't speak Spanish, what does "breves del machete" mean? "Short Knife"? 'Cause a news program with "machete" in its name sounds kinda badass.

• edited 2013-05-07 19:40:51
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

Out of curiosity, what is our IRC channel?

See my title line. Here's a webchat if you don't want to/can't grab an IRC client for any reason.

Also, this is probably one of the very few times I've ever really looked at the activity page for any length of time.

• edited 2013-05-07 20:04:47

You know, whenever you post anything of this sort, I feel some grim sort of smug self-satisfaction. I mean, I've been, so to say, unsupportive of Chavez and his lot the whole time. Now it turns out folks agree it actually wasn't a Glorious Bolivarian People's Revolution of the People, and you likely aren't even a paid CIA agent. It feels like I was right, or some other stupid shit like that. Yeah, I know it's silly. I just wanted to say that.

Oh don't worry, it's always good to be right on the internet.

You know, looking at the people who were working under him, it's actually kind of impressive that he managed to keep them at bay. "Chávez was the contention wall for our crazy ideas." as the president of the parliament and huge lunatic once said.

edit: I don't speak Spanish, what does "breves del machete" mean? "Short Knife"? 'Cause a news program with "machete" in its name sounds kinda badass.

"Short [news?] of the machete". I have no idea what machete it's referring to.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@TheConductor: As UE said.  Our channel is #ijbm on the network Espernet.  You can get to it quickly through the webchat link he provided (http://webchat.esper.net) or by using any IRC program to connect to irc.esper.net and #ijbm.

@Counterclock: I'm replying to that in the thread where that came up.

• a little muffled
    People are actually going to use #ijbm again? Well that's something.
  • A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Well, shit. Any recommended IRC clients for OS X? And while we're at it, any recommended clients for Android?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I've heard of Colloquy, X-Chat Aqua, and Adium for MacOS, and AndroIRC for Android.  Dunno if they're any good though.

• No rainbow star
    I've used AndroIRC. It's solid, albeit a bit annoying in how it makes it piss easy to accidentally sign out
  • edited 2013-05-08 13:58:23
    a little muffled
    AndroIRC is pretty good in my experience. It's what I use on the rare occasion I want to IRC for my phone.
  • edited 2013-05-08 18:58:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Due to recent changes to the modteam, I've updated the rules thread.  Their text should be a bit more streamlined now, too.

• For some reason I find it dorkily charming that you continue to number the various incarnations of the thread.

Also, I use AndroIRC on my tablet. It's good for when I'm too tired to operate a computer properly but refuse to go to bed. :P

• edited 2013-05-08 22:07:48
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

Another AndroIRC user here.  Works nicely for me, aside the send button only working in portrait, but that's apparently something weird on my end as a friend of mine says it works fine for him.

As for Mac clients, the ones GMH listed are pretty much the decent ones I know of, but Colloquy has a tendency to enable a disconnect-after-channel-idle-for-x-amount-of-time option by default.  Also, Adium = Pidgin for Mac, so it could be handy if you have other IM services you use too.

Also, just remembered to mention: if you have Verizon service, they block IRC over mobile data.  Something to keep in mind.

• edited 2013-05-09 08:45:16

I tried to use XChat but for some reason it failed to connect. Maybe my connection just sucks.

Also, stupid user title ahoy!

• edited 2013-05-09 08:49:16

Does Madoka make bad puns in the series?  Like, is that behavior in-character for her?  It seems like it might be but I don't remember any instances of it.

• edited 2013-05-09 08:52:13
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

^^ Try Pidgin or Adium (it would help at this point to actually know which OS you're using).

• There is love everywhere, I already know

She made that Dog-Alien pun early in series with Lan.

• edited 2013-05-09 09:00:51

I'm on Ubuntu.

Okay, Quassel fails to connect too.

^ I don't remember any alien puns early in besides a reference to the "ware ware wa uchuujin" thing.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Aside from that, I think there was something...

• edited 2013-05-09 09:06:57

Okay, here's what Quassel got

Connecting to portlane.esper.net:6667...
    Connection failure: Connection timed out
    Connection failed. Cycling to next Server
    Connecting to nova.esper.net:6667...
    Connection failure: Connection timed out

I am supposed to put the stuff listed here in the "server" box, right?

• edited 2013-05-09 09:11:35

If you're using a version of X-Chat, you should just put "irc.esper.net" in the server list, or "irc.esper.net/5555" (or some other number) if you want to choose a specific port.

I think my school blocks port 6667 for some reason but I get away with an alternate port.  Try 5555.

If you're using standard URL notation, it's irc.esper.net:5555 .  Possibly irc://irc.esper.net:5555 .

• Huh, the 5555 works. Thanks.

• About 40 percent of my wardrobe consists of sweaters, polos, t-shirts and jackets I've obtained with committee/board/crew volunteer work. The end goal is 80 percent.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

my aunt gave me a useless lecture full of useless advice and now I have to find a summer job in less than four weeks

yay

• ^ Ouch, good luck.

Well, shit. Any recommended IRC clients for OS X? And while we're at it, any recommended clients for Android?

I use Colloquy and it's always worked really well for me. The only problem I can recall is that automatically blocking users isn't as user-friendly as it could be.

• edited 2013-05-10 04:26:12

• Now Joe Biden joined Obama and Roberta Jacobson (some Secretary for Latin America thing) in denouncing Maduro. Come on Nicolás, stop selling them oil, stop buying them gas. You know you want to.

• The ghost of RCTV (the TV channel that got closed down something like 6 years ago) strikes back. The Inter-American Human Rights thing is, just now, challenging the government on its closing down.

• The economic crisis is starting to be felt. 4.3% inflation in April only, and 30% basic products shortage. Did you know that thanks to the raise in oil prices since a decade or so ago we've been going through the biggest bonanza in our history? Yeah...

And I guess I want to let this one out. I know I've sounded candid and everything when posting about Venezuela, but the truth is that I've been on an emotional rollercoaster, feeling full of hope one hour (and probably feel like posting) and desperate the next, and being single-mindedly focused about these things all day long. And well, I'm worried...

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read
    Are you still planning to get out of Venezuela? If so, how are those plans going?
  • Not really...

The thing is, I really, really, really don't want to have to leave. That, plus being too focused on this, well, I haven't really done anything. At all.

Also, just to clarify, I'm not worried about the economic crisis, I'm worried that the roblutionary boligarchs might survive it, too. Things simply won't get better while they stay in power.

• edited 2013-05-12 06:13:22

I was going to make yet another Venezuela post on some dire news, but I no longer feel optimistic enough to bring myself to do that. Instead I'll talk to you about this country. I'll try to make this the last time I post about this unless something big happens. As you can tell from the video, it's going to be corny shit, but whatever, it's important to me.

Once upon a time (not right before Chávez, earlier than that) Venezuela was a land of progress, we built lots of hospitals, great universities (including the one I'm currently in), the dam with the highest power capacity in the world at the time (now third), and maintained a top tier oil company, among other things. It was a haven for refugees throughout the hispanosphere, for victims of economic difficulties, civil wars, Colombia's guerrillas and paramilitaries, and dictatorships such as Franco's or those on the South Cone, etc.

About that, when our deputees went on a denouncing tour a few days ago, some Argentine congressmen particularly sympathised with them because they had themselves been refugees here during their 70's dictatorship. I tear'd.

Anyhow, some party politics here, some neglecting the poor there, catching the dutch disease, corruption like whoa, culminating with the XXI's Century Revolution.

So, sometime during the mid-to-late 00's I became convinced that the revolution wasn't getting anywhere anymore (the good things Chávez did, he did early on), so I was hoping that it would end soon, so that whatever came next could make use of the opportunities the revolution had been missing and give us a chance to work towards restoring what had been wasting away, and if that new government doesn't, no matter, we'd elect another one.

Oh, how wrong and naïve I had been thinking that Chávez had been doing anything but to turn our country from being a place to live in, to being a place to form part of a system to perpetuate him, his image, his views and his circle of friends, and friends of friends, and so on. And here we are.

So...

This country had me, educated me, gave me the chance to live a fulfilling youth. It's my home. I love Venezuela, that's why I wanted to be there and be part of it to see it grow and prosper, to become what it once was and then more.

Alas, there's a good chance that won't happen in my lifetime.

So...

Living through a nationwide crisis has taught me a few things that I thought I'd share.

• Politics can be cruel and disheartening, and is involved in many things it really shouldn't, but despite the frustration, that is precisely why everyone should be politically conscious.

• Personality cults are scary as hell.

• Fuck the UNASUR.

• Slacktivist support messages are cheap, uncreative, and very uplifting.

• I've noticed I've been using the word "we" to refer to Venezuela more often.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^ you know, I'd have posted some random shit, but this post makes me feel like I should first post something equally thought-out, or at least relevant.