If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Harry Potter didn't do much for me

124»

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's about context. And ultimately, IJBM isn't a context where that word is going to go over well, no matter how devoid of actual racism its user may be. It's a case of "too soon"; while some other racial slurs have legitimately lost their strength because of time and changing social context, racism against black people (and other people of non-white skin tone) is still a common reality. Terms used by the English to discriminate against their immediate neighbours, for instance, currently have no power because the current social paradigm enforces equality between "Celts" and "Saxons". Conversely, however, the UK currently has a problem with discrimination against Eastern European immigrants, especially the Polish. 

So while there's a solid argument that, perhaps one day, the word "nigger" will cease to be a slur, I doubt that day is in sight yet and when it ceases to be a slur, I doubt it'll be considered a word that refers only to black people. 

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

racism against black people (and other people of non-white skin tone) is still a common reality

Absolutely no one said it wasn't. I'm black, so I know this well enough but even without that everyone can see it.

when it ceases to be a slur, I doubt it'll be considered a word that refers only to black people.

It isn't now. That is all I was trying to say.

• Le sassy GIF:

mHYxsIc.gif

On second thought, is 'sassy' a problematic word to use in the context of white folks appropriating AAVE?

• Whaaat? I didn't know you were black, monica.
  • edited 2013-05-06 19:38:27
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I'm not one of dem folks dat done belief only us can say it, sheet.

• edited 2013-05-07 02:35:07
    Definitely not gay.

Yes people take offense to a word that was (and still is) used to oppress a whole race of people. It's not really a complicated concept.

It's a case of "too soon"; while some other racial slurs have legitimately lost their strength because of time and changing social context, racism against black people (and other people of non-white skin tone) is still a common reality.

I aten't white. I was victimized at an early age for not being white (Well, among other things). But I think racial slurs are OK when they're used in the context Saturn's using them in. I don't think being thin-skinned is very helpful towards racial relations.

I'm not one of dem folks dat done belief only us can say it, sheet.

the concept of "n-word privileges" is stupid btw

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    ^ wut he said

• the concept of "n-word privileges" is stupid btw

Eh, it's a bit silly to ignore a word's cultural baggage just because one's not really associated to it. That's not to say that a white person saying nigger or whatever is always offensive, it's pretty context sensitive, but that really doesn't undermine the concept.

• Did somebody say nigga?

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

• They're somethin' else.

Never crossed my mind to read Harry Potter. I might have given it a change eventually, until i read a status update on fb that was all "If you've never been a Harry Potter fan, you need to rethink your life."

Haha no, fuck you.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Around here, the reaction to this kind of status is a hearty "fuck you, Witcher FTW".

Also: niggardly.

• I stopped reading after the fifth book. Dunno why.

• edited 2013-05-08 11:17:23

nvm

• I have read all the books, and whilst they were magical as a child (my dad read the first two to me as bed time stories), they do lose a bit of there charm as you grow older. They are still really good books, but the magic fades a little.