If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Harry Potter didn't do much for me

Comments

• edited 2013-05-04 02:47:54
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I know why Snape acted so antagonistic, but unless he had to do it to seem convincing as a Death Eater, I really don't like the fact that he was outright abusive towards his Gryffindor students.

Again, see my earlier post.

In later books, while Snape was extremely antagonistic towards non-Slytherins, he was never abusive towards them.

Maybe I am misinterpreting the books, but what I recall is that Dumbledore had to plan with his death in mind because he made a hugely silly mistake. His death was never part of the plan to defeat Voldemort and he just had to roll with it.

He had to prevent Voldemort from gaining control of the Elder Wand- which would have happened sooner or later, because Voldemort would never rest while Dumbledore was alive, and the person to kill Dumbledore gains control of the Elder Wand.

Dumbledore's original plan was to have Snape kill him, transferring ownership of the Elder Wand to Snape, because Voldemort would never kill Snape (unless, of course, he found out from other people entirely about that fact).

So, yeah, Dumbledore's death was necessary- the same way Harry's was; he changed his plans later to accomodate the death, because he originally didn't plan for either of their deaths.

• Frankly, I think Harry Potter is overrated. The world building is unbelievably awful.

• I wouldn't say it's awful, merely that there was no work done on it at all. Which is fine, if it can carry itself in other ways.

But I wouldn't know, I read the first three books in one month and saw the very last movie and that was it.

• edited 2013-05-04 05:59:46
    a little muffled

The thing about the world building is that it was all done by retcon. The first two books (even the third to an extent) were basically fairy tales and didn't make any effort to have a consistent world. Then suddenly it turned into epic fantasy and Rowling had to find a way to make everything sorta-kinda fit together, which led to a world full of things that seem very arbitrary and which doesn't really make sense.

• Did somebody say the Cho Chang part being awful?

• But you never had any to begin with.

To prevent any confusion on the matter, that is not Cho Chang's actress.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

that entire clusterfuck was such a bizarre sequence of events.

• Could you please explain it to me?
  • Could you please explain it to me?

Basically, since the poem she's reading is written from Cho Chang's point of view, some people on Tumblr assumed the woman reading it was the actress who played Cho in the movies. Leading to a bunch of people going "WHY DID YOU PLAY THIS CHARACTER IF YOU HATE HER' and such.

This despite the fact that THEY DON'T EVEN LOOK ALIKE.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Americans thinking chinese people look the same? Huh.

• All you white people look the same to me.

(I tell lies)
    Who are you calling white, nigs?
  • You can change. You can.

oh brother you didn't

• Has friends besides tanks now

^^ uhhhhhhh

please don't

For what is worth and last I checked, Saturn isn't exactly white >_>

• Has friends besides tanks now

Still.

• edited 2013-05-06 01:01:29
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Huh.

Still.

yeah kraken isn't black so i don't really understand either

• I'm really not!
  • edited 2013-05-06 02:06:21
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I sometimes forget people still get offended by that word. Sorry.

^^>implying that term is only used to describe a black person.

I was at the mall the other day and I saw these two asian guys and one said "Naw, nigga, it's taht way!"

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-05-06 02:21:15

Dumbledore's ultimate plan did involve Harry dying (when he found out about the Horcruxes, and not before- he didn't know that Harry would need to die before that).

There's also the question of what the hell else he was supposed to do about that particular curveball.  Even if he didn't set up his own death as well, it's honestly difficult to fault him for not being able to find another way around that given how few ways they already had of getting rid of inanimate ones, all obnoxiously destructive and risky enough to have killed Harry anyway.

Dumbledore's original plan was to have Snape kill him, transferring ownership of the Elder Wand to Snape, because Voldemort would never kill Snape (unless, of course, he found out from other people entirely about that fact).

I thought it was even better than that.  As it was a consensual suicide pact, nobody would have bested Dumbledore and transferred the wand's ownership at all.  The wand would have futzed out for everyone after that and never worked properly again.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Pretty much the only option I can see that doesn't involve killing Harry is contacting muggle rocket scientists, building a prison that can't be apparated out of, and launching him into space.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-05-06 02:25:49

Which is, y'know, kinda sorta worse than just having him get killed in a highly specific relatively painless way that had an off-chance of him surviving.

I mean...yeesh.

I wish there was a way for me to put Earthbound on my 3DS. I would like to play it mobile.

As it was a consensual suicide pact

- snort -

• Kichigai birthday!!

^^ Get a flashcard with a SNES emulator on it

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

There's also the question of what the hell else he was supposed to do about that particular curveball.

Yeah. My point was more that I can't condemn Dumbledore because everything he asked of everyone else, he asked of himself too.

I thought it was even better than that.  As it was a consensual suicide pact, nobody would have bested Dumbledore and transferred the wand's ownership at all.  The wand would have futzed out for everyoneafter that and never worked properly again.

That is correct. My mistake, sorry.

I was at the mall the other day and I saw these two asian guys and one said "Naw, nigga, it's taht way!"

yeah and charlie sheen called denise richard the n-word too.

that doesn't mean you should use it as if it meant "dude", tho

• Definitely not gay.

People still take offense to that? My friends and I toss it around like a Frisbee.

• edited 2013-05-06 13:19:32
    But you never had any to begin with.

Yes people take offense to a word that was (and still is) used to oppress a whole race of people. It's not really a complicated concept.