If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Would a hero care if the people he's trying to save deserve to be saved?

edited 2013-05-04 11:28:38 in Philosophy
Definitely not gay.

So I was listening to The Protomen and this question came to mind.

The people portrayed in The Protomen are portrayed very unsympathetically. They force Mega Man to kill his own brother who he thought dead, and show zero empathy for him when he does. What's more, the entirety of Act I reinforces the fact that by inaction, they're reinforcing Wily's control over them. This creates the general impression that they don't deserve to be saved, which was the point. 

Then it struck me. Would a hero care if they didn't deserve saving? Ungrateful or not, they're still being deprived of what should rightfully be theirs. There's still something intrinsically wrong that needs to be corrected, and a hero needs to correct it because that's the right thing to do. Right?

I genuinely don't know about this. Can I get some input?

Comments

• You can change. You can.

If we're talking a straight-up hero like Supes? Of course he wouldn't. But he'd do every damn thing in his power to make them better.

• Definitely not gay.

Wouldn't care or wouldn't save them?

• You can change. You can.

dude

we are talking about superman here

what do you think

• Definitely not gay.

...OK yeah, it wouldn't be very Superman-ish for him to ignore them.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Yeah, any traditional do-gooder hero is going to save people who have done wrong, or made significant mistakes, just as heroically as they'd save the rest of the victim menagerie. 

• edited 2013-05-04 12:11:52
    Definitely not gay.

It was Ocarina of Time that inspired this. The Hylians don't try to put up as much as a token resistance: they just hide out in Kakariko as political refugees. What makes this more jarring is that other peoples, such as the Gorons and the Zoras, are actively trying to fight Ganondorf's influence. So why does Link save them along with those other two, if they won't fight for themselves?

That's when it hit me. Link is portrayed as, above all, selfless to a fault. He wouldn't care if they didn't do anything. Ganondorf still wrongfully took something from them. What does it matter if they deserved it or not?

This contrasted sharply with Megaman and Protoman, who were demoralized because the people they were trying to save didn't really deserve it. Their apathy and blind fear paralyzed them and actually did more harm than Wily could by himself. 

I still don't know who, at the end of the day, is a better person. If you save ungrateful and easily cowed people who aren't actively trying to improve their own condition, does that make you a hero or a tool?

• edited 2013-05-04 12:19:12

This probably depends more on which hero you're talking about. As mentioned, a straight-up do-gooder would more likely try to save as many people as possible. Although I'm not really familiar with less straightforward heroes, so I'm not really sure which characters specifically care. Maybe The Punisher?

• Wait... so, you're saying that since the Hylians didn't try to fight back, they don't deserve to be saved?
  • Definitely not gay.

Yep, pretty much.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Um...can't we assume that the fighting back was done during the massive timeskip?

• Definitely not gay.

There is a mention of the king's guards fighting Ganon, but at that point he hasn't seized control. And given that there are no signs or mention of resistance (and it would be stupid not to mention it), it's easier to assume that they turned tail the moment Ganon came into power and hid in some pokey village.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Except that that's not easier to assume because it's stupid.

I kind of figured there was a big battle, they got their asses kicked, and then they went into hiding because they didn't want to all die.

Meanwhile, the Gorons and Zoras have their forces intact, so of course they're still resisting.

• Definitely not gay.

Well, that's something I never considered.

Still! The spark of inspiration was there.

• edited 2013-05-04 13:28:05
    Diet NEET

It's kinda useless to fight a King of Evil that only the chosen hero can defeat. Besides, Ganondorf does fuck all besides sit at his organ and letting the land rot. There isn't much you can be fighting against other than random monsters. 

• Definitely not gay.

Maybe I'm just reading into things too much.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Does everyone actually know that only the chosen Hero and the chosen sword can defeat him though?

• edited 2013-05-04 16:45:11
    But you never had any to begin with.

Presumably he's killable without the Triforce of Power, since his execution in the Child Timeline would have succeeded had it not been for the terrible timing of its appearance. Thing is, he normally has the Triforce of Power, hence the Master Sword.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Maybe I'm just reading into things too much.

You do things that aren't this?

• edited 2013-05-05 00:29:10
    Definitely not gay.

OK, the Link analogy was the second comparison I could make. The first thing that popped to mind was Jesus. And frankly, Jesus comparisons are cliche.

^ Cute.