If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Harry Potter didn't do much for me

edited 2013-05-03 22:13:42 in Media

I am probably one of the few 2000s kids who wasn't really into Harry Potter, and I just recently read all the books. And they were rather underwhelming to me, yet a lot of people act as if Harry Potter is great (probably mostly out of nostalgia, but still).

Makes me feel weird.

Comments

• edited 2013-05-03 22:17:44
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    The movies are better. And it is mostly nostalgia. Sticking with something through childhood, especially a cultural movement that big, and seeing it end is awesome.

That is why I still follow Naruto.
  • I do feel kind of miffed that I lost interest when I did, though looking at the books themselves without the surrounding Pottermania, I feel like I didn't really miss out on much.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    The pottermania helped, for sure. I only fully read threr of the books anyway.
  • The extent of my familiarity, until recently, was viewings of the first two movies on VHS when I was much younger.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    My favorite movie...is proooobably the 3rd.

I like the new direction they took from that point on.

• Harry Potter didn't do much for me

Ask not what Harry Potter can do for you.

But what you can do for Harry Potter.
    Or something like that.

• I can shove giant cheeses up his ass.

• Also, there's one thing about the universe that doesn't make sense to me: Why does the wizarding world have to be kept secret from the Muggles? Wouldn't both sides benefit from openly coexisting?

• Also, there's one thing about the universe that doesn't make sense to me: Why does the wizarding world have to be kept secret from the Muggles? Wouldn't both sides benefit from openly coexisting?
    That always bugged me too. It seemed like something that was just sorta arbitrarily explained away because examining it in too much detail would make the whole setting fall apart.

• IIRC, persecution of witches and wizards was very much a thing in the HP universe. That might be reason. I'm not sure if there's really an explanation given. But wizards society seemed kinda... xenophobic towards muggles anyway. Not just the Death Eater-related people, but in general.

• I know it.

But things changed. Maybe people would think that magic was awesome now!

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Sure, it's possible, but would you want to be the one to test that?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Voldermort is an awful villain. He can't take control of the UK because a bunch of kids continue to kick his butt, and even if he did control it and openly take up the position of an actual dark lord, he'd have the rest of the spellcasters in the world to contend with. As well as a bunch of militaries, internal resistances and whatnot. 

a bunch of kids continue to kick his butt

Because he was in a weakened state on account of having pretty much died.

even if he did control it and openly take up the position of an actual dark lord, he'd have the rest of the spellcasters in the world to contend with

He had a significant amount of support, on top of being more-or-less immortal.

• edited 2013-05-04 00:51:58

^^^I dunno...

^^He's also kind of boring, somehow.

I can't quite put my finger on why, but as a character he doesn't feel like he has a "presence" to me. Maybe that's not the right word...

• edited 2013-05-04 00:56:42

But things changed. Maybe people would think that magic was awesome now!

Considering thatmuggle society was mainly represented in the Dursleys... eh.

As for Voldemort, he wasn't the kind of villain you're supposed to really be impressed with, I think. His inability to understand love was an outright weakness.

• @Anonus: If you tried integrating wizard society and muggle society, wouldn't you likely end up with something vaguely like the world of The Legend of Korra?

• edited 2013-05-04 00:57:48
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Voldemort was basically magic Hitler. But the thing about Hitler is that he doesn't hold up as a fictional character because of how unrealistically, one-dimensionally evil he was.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Because he was in a weakened state on account of having pretty much died.

The dark lord frame of reference chart includes guys like Sauron and Darth Vader, though. Voldermort is absolutely pathetic compared to these guys, not only in terms of influence, skill and power, but presence (as Anonus pointed out). Not only would those guys take Voldermort to school, they'd do it in a way that's more interesting than anything Voldermort did. 

He had a significant amount of support, on top of being more-or-less immortal.

A significant amount of support among spellcasters, who are a tiny minority of the planet's population in the HP setting. Voldermort doesn't strike me as the kind of person who'd be clever enough to hide their occult powers and take control via manipulation of policy and economics; as soon as the UK was his, he'd probably go to the world "hey dudes, I'm a wizard". 

He may be the most powerful person, but he's only one person, and all his Death Eaters are mortal. And I suspect they'd run into trouble against, say, assault choppers. Or snipers. Or basically any reasonable kind of combat professional. 

Mind you, Voldermort taking control of the UK would provide an excuse for militarisation of the Inquisition as an elite anti-spellcaster force, which would be pretty awesome.  

• edited 2013-05-04 01:06:03

The dark lord frame of reference chart includes guys like Sauron and Darth Vader, though. Voldermort is absolutely pathetic compared to these guys, not only in terms of influence, skill and power, but presence (as Anonus pointed out).

And they're appropriate enemies for adult characters. Sauron isn't the villain in Harry Potter because if he were, everyone would die.

• edited 2013-05-04 01:10:42

Again, I maintain that Voldy's not the kind of villain who's supposed to impress you. His real name is Tom, for God's sake. There should've been more moments of people insulting him with his real name.

• edited 2013-05-04 01:12:04
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ All the adult characters were afraid of him, too, and HP definitely took a turn towards targeting an older audience when compared to the initial books. 

Oh, also:

He may be the most powerful person, but he's only one person, and all his Death Eaters are mortal. And I suspect they'd run into trouble against, say, assault choppers. Or snipers. Or basically any reasonable kind of combat professional. 

Remember that he also ordered the Dementors around. They pretty much completely demoralize anyone who goes near them, and cannot be fought off without magic.

• You can change. You can.

Honestly, I think that Harry Potter was overrated, but I still think it was great for the most part. It's just that there are a lot of worldbuilding issues.

Having said that

Voldemort had giants dude

hell, muggles thought they were hit by like

a million hurricanes at once

jus saiyan

• edited 2013-05-04 01:26:45
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ They can, you just have to give a very limited amount of shits. 

• edited 2013-05-04 01:28:46
    Definitely not gay.

The dark lord frame of reference chart includes guys like Sauron and Darth Vader, though. Voldermort is absolutely pathetic compared to these guys, not only in terms of influence, skill and power, but presence (as Anonus pointed out).

Sauron is literally a demon lord. Darth Vader was formerly the potentially most powerful Force user alive, and was mentored by the incredibly powerful Sith lord Palpatine.

You need to take scale into consideration. LoTR literally had the fates of entire countries (plural) hanging in the balance. Star Wars spanned an entire fucking galaxy. It's not hard to be outclassed by those two.

They can, you just have to give a very limited amount of shits.

Kinda hard not to give a shit when a spirit of pure negative emotion is breathing down your neck.

• edited 2013-05-04 01:31:48

Honestly, I think that Harry Potter was overrated, but I still think it was great for the most part

Really, something rated as highly as Harry Potter is can't not be overrated. Nothing is that good.

They can, you just have to give a very limited amount of shits.

Except that's not something most people can just consciously decide to do, especially if you don't know what's happening.

• You can change. You can.

Darth Vader was formerly the potentially most powerful Force user alive, and was mentored by the incredibly powerful Sith lord Palpatine.

Actually, he is the most powerful Force user during most of the trilogy. In fact, Vader himself is the one who ends the war. Luke's true victory comes from him managing to reach his father, not from him outdoing his father. 

^^ They can, you just have to give a very limited amount of shits. 

Not everybody can be Gary Oldman, tho

• edited 2013-05-04 01:34:27

The Dursleys were a minority when it came to Muggles, at least, I think they were.

Also: The way Voldemort dies/is defeated is kinda anticlimactic. Like, his killing curse backfires on him and now he's out of the picture. There's no struggle to beat him. Harry was never being seriously pushed, or at a disadvantage, to defeat him there.

• edited 2013-05-04 01:36:16

There's no struggle to beat him

except, you know,

the battle of hogwarts, the entire book up to that point, the series as a whole, and some of the backstory from before that

Seriously, that's like saying that killing Osama bin Laden wasn't difficult because someone just had to shoot him.