If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2013-04-25 00:29:02
    a little muffled

Why is every major commercial platform moving toward hiding the settings and nuts-and-bolts and giving people only pre-made packages that only work one way?
    Choose one from: a) because they want to make things easy for the Jen Barbers of the world, b) because they think they're smarter than everyone else, c) because they hate you.

• edited 2013-04-25 00:34:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> the Jen Barbers of the world

These are people who have not been properly introduced to computers and thus still see them as magitech.

By proper introduction I don't mean someone sitting down and explaining everything in a class lecture.  I mean telling people, in quick summary, what terms like "internet" and "browser" mean.

• Dragons slain by St. George: 1

Dragons slain by Earth: 0

I see a clear winner here

Clearly, you've never heard of Ultraman Gaia.

at some point in the future, all computers would have touchscreens

I never liked touchscreens. I worry they'll smudge or something. Even if I can be careful, someone might borrow it for whatever reason.

• edited 2013-04-25 10:28:54
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

^ At some point in the future, all touchscreen surfaces will be extremely oleophobic.

• edited 2013-04-25 15:40:42
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Well, here's some news.

Serbia is supposed to bring a new, more capitalist-friendly labor law this year, and the labor unions, being under party control, aren't helping to make it better. Unfortunately, it's pretty much inevitable.

So, me and one other guy from my faculty have been tasked by the others from Marks21 to try forming a group of left-leaning students and staff that is supposed to make a draft of the new law that will respect the interests of workers more than the current draft. Then we'll try to push it via some associates and sympathizers in labor unions.

Although I'm far from sure how successful this is going to be, it theoretically means that I am going to be directly involved in the making of a new labor law.

ERMAHGERD

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Touchscreens do smudge really easily (unless they're the non-glossy kind), and they get versatility in exchange for speed -- while the screen can do anything, in principle, you have to wait for the screen to finish doing whatever it was doing to do the next thing.

On a keyboard, you can (and I do) frequently key in some command very quickly, sometimes even before the appropriate window opens, and then just wait for it to be executed.

This is very pertinent on my cell phone.  On a non-touchscreen phone, I could do the following in quick succession: button combo to unlock phone, type out phone number to be called, press talk, put phone to ear.

On a touchscreen phone, I need to do this: button to activate screen, wait for screen to turn on, swipe to unlock phone, press call button, wait for numpad to slide in, press each number in a well-articulated and distinct way (no fast typing with two hands), press call, wait for call to connect, put phone to ear.

• sounds like whatever touchscreen phone you're using is pretty shitty if you have to do all that waiting

• edited 2013-04-25 17:56:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

They're all momentary waits, not really long at all...unless you're used to things happening faster-than-instantaneously in a fire-and-forget fashion where you don't even need to care what happens on screen because you know the exact key sequence that will cause the result you want and your only objective is to type that sequence in as quickly as humanly possible.

• On my phone, I just put my thumb where it needs to be, and BAM-- I've typed a masterpiece. I can also do this with my nose

I'm sure that's not possible.  You have to put your thumb where it needs to be over and over again.

That's key to my point.

Can you do it faster using two thumbs?

• edited 2013-04-25 18:04:41

Yeah, if she is up for doubling her pleasure 

Two thumbs on her touchscreen makes things go faster than they ever could with a lame old keypad

I didn't know people used feminine pronouns to refer to their phones.

• a little muffled

I don't. My phone is named Harry.

• I didn't know people used feminine pronouns to refer to their phones.

Well, her pronoun wasn't very feminine when I got through with it.

• I use feminine pronouns to refer to my laptop, oddly enough, but not my phone.

That's why placing program files in folders of your choice and then creating shortcuts to them yourself is always the best method.

Too bad it seems no one likes doing that these days.

I've done that before, but most of the time I tend not to bother because when you have a lot of stuff installed on your computer, manually organizing shortcuts to everything gets tedious really fast.

Ideally an operating system's UI would be designed in such a way that manually organizing this stuff on that level shouldn't be necessary, but I do get the impression that that's too much to ask.

How often do you install stuff on your computer?

Organizing only takes a one-time cost of maybe two minutes.  All I have to think about, really, is whether I want a shortcut in my start menu pinned area, in my Quick Launch, or on my Desktop.

• You can change. You can.

My laptop is a dude

It helps a lot I called it Nightwing cuz I am a nerd though

• My PC is a dude.

He's still called Sovereign.

I think I spent a lot of time talking about him in various threads back on TvTropes, 'cuz I'm a weirdo sometimes.

• IJBM: the only place where shitposting leads to a chat about what pronouns we use for our items

My computer is named after a magical device that has a male voice, but I refer to my computer with neuter pronouns.

• My computer is a gender-neutral demon whom I only refer to as "You Bastard".

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

so I watched Fallen Angels today in Intro to Film and I think I might be doing a binge of Wong Kar-wai's filmography pretty soon

or I might just shove a bunch of his films into my bottomless IMDb profile and forget about them

either one

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Juan - so are you saying your laptop smells fantastic?
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

My laptop is Teletraan-1

because

well

reasons

• Much like America's horse, my laptop doesn't have a name.

Well, I mean, I guess she has whatever default hostname Windows requires connect her to the network, but I don't call her anything.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Yeah, I don't name any of my electronics or anything.

• Me neither. I suck at deciding names anyway, so I don't want to care about that.

• I should name my car too

I briefly called her "Terezi", because she's roughly the color of Terezi's blood, and also Terezi and Toyota both start with T

But I stopped doing that for some reason

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Well, here's some news.

Serbia is supposed to bring a new, more capitalist-friendly labor law this year, and the labor unions, being under party control, aren't helping to make it better. Unfortunately, it's pretty much inevitable.

So, me and one other guy from my faculty have been tasked by the others from Marks21 to try forming a group of left-leaning students and staff that is supposed to make a draft of the new law that will respect the interests of workers more than the current draft. Then we'll try to push it via some associates and sympathizers in labor unions.

Although I'm far from sure how successful this is going to be, it theoretically means that I am going to be directly involved in the making of a new labor law.

ERMAHGERD

Wow. That's really cool.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

>wake up for a 7 AM shift
    >shower
    >vomit more than i thought my stomach could even contain

This day is off to a lovely start.