If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Is it just me, or...

edited 2013-04-09 16:26:15 in IJBM meta
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
Is IJBM kind of unpleasant lately?

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today, but it kind of seems like it to me.

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

it hasn't been unpleasant since its inception?

don't get me wrong, there have been ups and downs, but I've never made an effort to be pleasant on here simply because I feel that it wouldn't be appreciated if I did.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I'm getting that feeling too.

It might be because of all the recent politics chat, and we all know what that does to people.

• When has this place ever been pleasant? Then again, pleasantness doesn't necessarily appeal to me anyway.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

It's a hell of a lot more pleasant than the old IJBM was. That's why I've stuck around for as long as I did.

• It's been as pleasant as ever for me. Then again, I've been involved in those politics talks.

• edited 2013-04-09 16:40:25
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I haven't felt anything out of place lately, but I can't think of many times I've thought it was pleasant around here. The only times I feel like that are when I'm binging the Images thread or time warps or something.
  • We had that exact problem over on BTL. Politics chat is like playing a game of Monopoly; it brings out the worst in everybody after a while.

• a little muffled

I've never found it unpleasant here. :(

• Me neither. Even when I'm already irritable.

Also...

...have I been unpleasant?

it's probably way more tolerable if you hang out in the media threads and junk. Personally I either have conflicting opinions with the majority here on certain media, or I simply don't care about said media, so I'm rarely in those, and when I am, not for long.

I've also raised my concern here that most of the folks here seem to be stuck in debate mode for lack of any better way to put it, but w/e.

We had that exact problem over on BTL. Politics chat is like playing a game of Monopoly; it brings out the worst in everybody after a while.

the difference is that winning a game of Monopoly is very easy.

• But you never had any to begin with.

the difference is that winning a game of Monopoly is very easy.

Is this some kind of version of Monopoly where empires don't topple in the time it takes to play it?

I didn't say it didn't take forever. It's just not a terribly hard game to win.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    I wouldn't say it's UNpleasant (mostly), but we're a very argumentative forum, so "pleasant" doesn't seem quite right.
  • edited 2013-04-09 17:54:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, even when arguing, there's civil and respectful arguing that concentrates on the contentions, then there's snarky, smart-aleck arguing, then there's insult-ridden, Godwin's-Law-tripping arguing.

• I'm an incredibly pleasant person, and therefore accept no responsibility for this.

Also, my sweat transforms toxic waste into penicillin.

• No rainbow star

Noimporta: But what about the people allergic to penicillin?

• I'm a damn twisted person

don't get me wrong, there have been ups and downs, but I've never made an effort to be pleasant on here simply because I feel that it wouldn't be appreciated if I did.

That doesn't seem like a self defeating attitude at all.

That said, I wouldn't say the forum is unpleasant so much that folks have their own particular brands of denseness. Mostly when folks get wonking about their wonk and saying the stuff everybody else has heard 300 times already. Or just frequently nattering about dumb ideas that really aren't worth correcting or arguing with them about. So occasionally headache inducing instead of instilling the desire to punch multiple folks like the early days of the forum did. 

That doesn't seem like a self defeating attitude at all.

Oh, I know it is. I went through a period of trying to meaningfully contribute here and was unable to do so, so now I'm just sort of here.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

I only found it unpleasant when it comes to discussing video games, namely because of an inability to distinguish opinion from fact.

Other than that, we're more or less the same as far as politics go, but I ignore Alex's giant wall of text 90 percent of the time.

• edited 2013-04-09 18:51:03
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^^ Hmph, sounds like a plan I could try out.

• I'm not even sure if I do contribute meaningfully, sometimes, and I don't care to find out right now.

• edited 2013-04-09 23:32:38
    Loser

Naas_H_Sapiens,
    What does meaningfully contributing to a forum look like anyway? Would it be something like bringing up a bunch of good points in well articulated posts?

I kind of feel like the main goal is being considerate to other people and not escalating conflicts. I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that things can get even worse when people focus too much on who is and is not a making a "valuable contribution" to a internet forum and that sometimes posting quality actually suffers when people get overly self-conscious.

As for the unpleasantness, do people think that doing some IJBM community thing (e.g., movie watching on plug.dj, livestreaming, having an online gaming night etc.) might help alleviate that a bit?

• No rainbow star
    *coughattrpgthatdoesn'tdieforoncecough*
  • I'm a damn twisted person

I'd be up for a simple system trpg pbp game, or just a freeform one. Something simple and what not. 

• edited 2013-04-10 00:05:50
    FATE seems the simplest system I've seen, by my reckoning. But it's also one of the most abstract.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ What kind of free form are you looking for?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Thinking back on it, I think this thread was mostly the product of my being in a bad mood and some recent happenings leading to politics talk, rather than an actual downward trend. I mean, we don't have Chagen or Tnu, so things can't be worse than they were then.

*coughattrpgthatdoesn'tdieforoncecough*

Yes. Want. So much. My schedule doesn't allow for non-PbP gaming these days, so I really want one to work.

FATE seems the simplest system I've seen, by my reckoning.

Call of Cthulhu is probably the simplest overall, but it has a very specific function.

• No rainbow star

^ I honestly really want to play Call of Cthulhu, to the point where if nobody runs one, I may have to come up with a campaign myself (although I'd much rather be a player)

• edited 2013-04-10 01:53:45
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I was going to run one, but it fell through. Would be willing to revive/sort-of-revive that.

I'm also working on a simple horror RPG in addition to the fantasy one I've already done some testing on.

• No rainbow star

Please do revive it o.o