If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The map territory thing rationalists are obsessed with

edited 2013-03-26 22:54:57 in Philosophy

It's basically "Hey! Correspondence theory of truth! be amazed by my insight"

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I have no idea what map territory thing you are talking about.

• You should make a thread called "The Myrmidon Thread" where you can post all the contextless, inane, one-sentence OPs you want.
  • Basically it's a metaphor, that a map or a diagram does not exactly represent the territory or principle, but is the closest thing we can come up with until we know or can imagine better.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You know what, Myrm is like reverse Alex. While one will argue for his point in too many words, the other will in too few.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

man it's almost like Myrmidon uses this website for its intended purpose or something.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

This site has not really been about things that bug you for a long time.

• edited 2013-03-27 11:01:06
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Well, that's what I use it for (sometimes). And I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to. He's not doing anything wrong.

Besides, he's at least trying to contribute, as opposed to the deluge of people who come into half the threads he makes and basically tell him to shut up.

I don't really care what Myrmidon uses the site for and I don't want to tell Myrmidon to shut up. I just think that saying that the forum's "intended purpose" is to talk about things that bug you is silly.

Point taken I guess but the site is called "It Just Bugs Me".

• Yes but even when It Just Bugs Me was a board on TV Tropes nobody really actually used it to talk about things that bugged them.

I will calmly direct you to the trilogy of topics I have made about mint flavoring.

• Nobody is telling him to shut up. People are telling him to do the exact opposite of that.

Kraken explained it fine though

• It's a good thing Kraken's explanation went back into the past and attached itself to the OP so nobody felt they had to say anything.
  • I am good at the time-loops.

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

Hey now, obscurantist references can be fun...

...though granted, Myr has not actually said just what bugs him about "The map is not the territory".

• I think it's pretty obvious that what he's bugged by is that people on LW think that "the map is not the territory" is a profound insight.

• Before Yudkowsky, people thought they could get rid of inconvenient mountain ranges through use of an eraser.

• Has an aspect of representation shapes reality. Profoundly relativist.

In a meta-example, the thread makes us perceive postmodernism as willfully vague nonsense and needless deconstruction of Captain Obvious notions. Furthermore, since we can never be sure if OP does this on purpose, or is annoyed by the rationalists creating this perception, it embodies the multiplicity and uncertainty of said school.

Or am I overanalyzing this stuff?

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

Well, looking what problems some border in the world which were simply drawn on a map can make, there is actually a very practical application of that saying. The same holds true for all issues where the saying stands for symbolically, so... yeah, actually the people upholding that saying do have a point. People all too often only look at the abstractions and only work with them, instead of what is behind them.

• Surely it's more of a reminder than an insight, than.

Still a reminder you need to formulate first. Kinda an "Egg of Columbus" kind of thing, I guess.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yes but even when It Just Bugs Me was a board on TV Tropes nobody really actually used it to talk about things that bugged them.

I did.

And I still don't know what the point of this thread is.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

LEAVE HIM ALONE! You are lucky he even made a thread for you BASTARDS! LEAVE MYRMIDON ALONE... Please.

• edited 2013-03-27 21:10:05
    A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

^ ...seriously? 5 and a half years after that video was first uploaded?

A classic!

• remember when "all your base" was a thing

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Remember when you couldn't triforce.

Remember when the hat was yours?

...okay, obscure, but it was my first meme!

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Remember when Kilroy was around?