If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The computer/OS/interface/webpage annoyances thread

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think you're the only user or you're like one of two users here that has the additional line problem.  It's most likely linked to the particular WYSIWYG editor that's in use right now; UE's been thinking of dumping that but I'm not sure when that's happening.  Mostly because we need to find an appropriate substitute.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I always manually clean up the HTML in my forum posts before actually posting them, so when I get the extra line I don't really notice. It's just... yet another bit of useless code that I need to get rid of.

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

I've been considering just dumping a wysiwyg and just adding in custom formatting buttons for the plain textbox since there's a preview button anyway. But a lot of the trouble with wysiwyg + vanilla is due to vanilla using the same ID for both post editing textboxes and post comment textboxes; it causes this editor to flip out and blow things up.  The spacing issue is due to something within this editor; they seem to have a fetish for wrapping /everything/ in

tags, which is annoying (and has a tendency to break some of vanilla's parsing of stuff like youtube links into embeds)

deviantArt and Photobucket now feature web interfaces when you're looking at search results or album pictures where pressing the left or right keys goes to the previous or next item in the list/album.

This is a problem because I use Alt+left and Alt+right to go back and forward in my browser.

• While on one hand it's sort of annoying that it introduces key conflicts, in pretty much all other respects having something like that is a positive and it's kind of terrible when you can't press a key to go to the previous/next image in an album.  I guess the best solution would be to allow remapping keys though.  But for some reason that isn't normal even in non-web applications, and of course web applications tend to be even worse at usability.

• It seems like the simplest solution would be to have the webpage respond only to the left and right keys alone, not any other combination of them. That way you could still hit left/right to page through the album without stealing the Alt+Left or Alt+Right combinations from the browser.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

^ Another good design rule I'll have to try and remember for the future.

• edited 2013-03-13 22:17:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What Centy said.  Failing that, map it to PgUp and PgDn.

Fun fact: My image viewer is XnView and it uses PgUp and PgDn to browse through folders of images.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Alternately, get a 5 button mouse. :P

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

>close program
    >be notified that it has stopped working 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Are you playing Fallout: New Vegas?

It was Adobe Reader, actually.

Just installed the newest version of PDFCreator, the thing that lets you print to PDF.

I had to tell it not to install this browser helper object, as well as Frostwire.

But nevertheless, it still installed PDFArchitect.  I couldn't pick installation directory, and I didn't even see the license agreement for it.  What the heck even is this thing?

Windows Explorer, I really hate your instant search feature.

Because you think you're so smart and start searching for me, except in my Documents folder (a few sub-folders in) I have like ten thousand .eml files from when I saved batches of my e-mail inbox from years back as local files (not knowing that they're maintained by Thunderbird if you just preserve the account even if it doesn't exist on the server anymore).

So you're just being very slow.

It would be much better if you could stop searching for "*." and let me type "*.pub".  At least I think that's how a wildcard search for a certain filetype works...

Oh, y'know how you can click the pop-up "add a search filter" to add "date modified" or "size"?  Why not "filetype"???

• Oh, y'know how you can click the pop-up "add a search filter" to add "date modified" or "size"?  Why not "filetype"???

You can if you're in a library, it seems.  (or maybe it's some other silly requirement, I dunno)

But even if you're not, you can just do it manually, by searching for "type:=."

Apparently "*.pub" works.

On a brighter note, it seems that GMail has enabled keyboard navigation of its links and e-mail entries. :D

>attempt to print a black and white document
    >"cannot print! Replace magenta ink!" 

Ink manufacturers tend to like it when you buy more ink.

Yeah.

Not that I actually buy ink from the company that manufactured the printer because fuck that price-gouged shit.

• That pisses me off too.

I suspect they sell the printers for a very low profit margin and expect to make the real money from continued ink cartridge sales, though I have no idea if this is true.

>give up on finding a workaround, replace Magenta ink
    >"CLEANING! :D"
    >printer proceeds to emit horrendous noises for about five minutes

At least it finally printed. 

• "Cleaning" being printer-speak for "wasting massive amounts of ink for no noticeable gain", naturally.

• edited 2013-03-25 15:50:29
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'm amazed I still had Cyan ink after it cleaned. It was listed as "low" before, and I was expecting to have to replace it afterwards.

I kind of wish I could have a B&W printer, but photography.

>try to print another thing
    >adobe reader crashes 

• edited 2013-03-25 15:55:55
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, I still need to figure out how to optimize making the printer do the least number of cleaning cycles.

Y'know there was one moment a few years back when a printer finally stopped working.  Why?  It complained that the waste ink tray was full.  What the fuck.  If only you hadn't been wasting so much ink to put in the waste ink tray.  There's also no way to clean it out either.

^ Use Foxit Reader.  I do.

Welp. Tried printing it from Chrome's PDF reader, and no luck there either. Which is weird, because it appeared to be a known issue with the current version of Adobe Reader.

• Is it possible you've just got a bad PDF file? I stumble upon those on occasion...can read 'em just fine, but then when you go to print everything goes to hell.

Well, given that I made said PDF...very possible, actually.

So, next I'll try to print from the original Adobe Illustrator file.

• edited 2013-03-25 16:04:35
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

...nope, still crashing.

Okay, what the fuck? Is it the printer? I  just used the printer!

No, wait, I had the wrong printer selected when trying to print the AI file. So maybe it's that?