If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: I don't really have mental images for the posters here

edited 2013-03-10 14:38:13 in IJBM meta

And the fact that this somehow bothers me itself bothers me. (botherception?)

Also, feel free to tell me about what mental images (if any) you guys have for anyone here.

Comments

• Who says you need mental images of the other posters here, waste of mind-space imho.

• a little muffled

My mental images of posters are usually just old avatars of theirs.

• A vague notion of generic frumpy nerds and hipsters, mostly.

• My mental images of posters are usually just old avatars of theirs.

More or less this.

Though for some posters who've posted pictures of themselves, I sometimes think of them as how they actually look.

And by "some posters" I think I just mean All Nines.

• edited 2013-03-10 14:55:00

Who says you need mental images of the other posters here, waste of mind-space imho.

Which is why my desire for mental images bothers me too.

My mental images of posters are usually just old avatars of theirs.

For me, this is how I see @MadassAlex. Specifically, it's that blonde guy he used to have.

A vague notion of generic frumpy nerds and hipsters, mostly.

How vague, exactly?

• a little muffled

@DYRE: Didn't he use a picture of himself as an avatar at one point? So that's not really an exception.

• How vague? A bit unkempt, t-shirt and jean combos, bad haircuts, pudgy/skinny and skin tones indicating the indoors life. Anything more exotic than North America is imagined as the most iconic stereotype. F. ex., someone from Spain walks around in a flamenco costume 24/7.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

For me, this is how I see @MadassAlex. Specifically, it's that blonde guy he used to have.

I just picture a suit of armor.

• edited 2013-03-10 15:15:07

^^ Does a person's religion (or lack thereof) affect this?

^ A suit of armor with cheese leaking out at some places

• But you never had any to begin with.

That's silly. Everyone knows that Alex is an enchanted, sentient longsword.

• But if Alex were a sword, then he wouldn't be able to use swords.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Again, enchanted. Are you going to argue the laws of physics with a living weapon?

• It all makes sense. Only a sword could know that much about swords.

• The only people here I really have mental images of are the people I regularly contact elsewhere. I don't know why.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    So InsanityAddict imagines me in a flamenco outfit. I could live without knowing that.
  • if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Guess I look somewhat like this then.

cetnik

Me:

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

how do you type in those biking gloves

and do you ever take off your mask

with difficulty

and no

• edited 2013-03-10 19:10:13
    Has friends besides tanks now

Usually, if I've seen a picture of an IJBMer (and this extends to CU, CA, IA, Forz, Nova, Malk, Juan, DYRE, Nyktos, Crimson, Ironweaver, and Bastion, off the top of my head), I imagine them as they look IRL, but otherwise I imagine them by old avatars.

GMH: Philosoraptor
    Counterclock: Cat
    Alex: Blonde dude/suit of armor flipping the bird
    Naas_H_Sapiens:  Yui + Azusa (so I guess this is an exception since this is your most recent avatar)
    SuperLazuli and Saigyouji: Varies with avatar (I guess they're double-exceptions, considering that I've seen a picture of each of them)
    Nohay: King Harkinian

Though for some posters who've posted pictures of themselves, I sometimes think of them as how they actually look.

And by "some posters" I think I just mean All Nines.

Always glad to be the token camwhore. :3 (And like Nyktos said, I've used selfies as avatars before)

Speaking of which, I might do that again.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

With some sadness, I have to admit I have it worse than just lacking mental images. Save for a couple of distinct ones - by that I mean they have some superficial trait by which I label them - you guys blend into a mass of generic posters. Perhaps with time I'll find enough labels for the rest.

• edited 2013-03-10 17:31:26

DYRE

:c

I wish you'd imagine me as a cute animu girl instead.

(or more like, I sort of regret posting pictures of myself back on TVTropes and I kind of don't like my real identity being associated with my online identity, even if it's just appearance-wise)

• edited 2013-03-10 17:31:16
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

I don't have mental images of anybody. Except when I saw a photo of them. Which happens pretty much never.

I never picture posters by their avatars (unless it's a photo of them, of course). I see those as what they usually are: An expression of interest in something or an attempt at humor.

• edited 2013-03-10 17:36:51

I find my mental images tend to change over time. Currently mine are.

Counterclock: Her current avatar if she hasn't changed it recently.

Nyktos: Toshiro Umezawa (his current avatar).

Insanity Addict: Himself.

DYRE: A loli (the one in his avatar if there's only one and it's identifiable, otherwise a generic one).

All Nines: Depending on his current avatar, either himself or Yui.

Naas H Sapiens: All Nines. None using any other avatar.

Saigyouji: Yuyuko Saigyouji.

Bastion: A Homestuck troll if he's using one as avatar, otherwise none.

Central Avenue: A pony, sometimes.

nohaynicklibre: Currently a generic moe girl who happens to be a dictator. Used to be Chargeman Ken, and King Harkinian before that.

Ironweaver: Either himself if he's posted a photo recently or an avatar he used on BTL, though come to think of it it might've been somebody else's.

Clockwork Universe: Jesus Christ.

Glennmagusharvey: The first retro or memey thing that comes to mind, or a blue long-haired girl if his avatar is one.

lrdgck: A bottle of Poland.

(Am I a Touhou character yet?)

Ninja edit: Nyarly: Generic animu girl.

> Jesus Christ.

It's the Avatar -_-
  • That's what you get for not being Ryuugamine Mikado.

• edited 2013-03-10 18:15:13

I identify Clockwork Universe with that avatar so strongly that I didn't even notice until just now that he changed.  Despite that happening forever ago.

CU, I still see you as that guy from Durarara.

• edited 2013-03-10 18:15:50
    Has friends besides tanks now

That's Ryuugamine Mikado, glenn. :P

Yeah I got ninja'd in mentioning him.

As for other people, you and Forzare both look like the person in your photo. :P