If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Animation Thread

edited 2013-02-27 11:30:17 in Media
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Simply a thread for all those animations that just don't fit in Anime/Manga. Western cartoons, web animations, whatever.

I'll lead off with a couple of videos from RWBY... in the next two posts because IJBM is stupid and won't let me link them here.

Comments

• edited 2013-02-27 11:30:45
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

• edited 2013-02-27 11:31:38

And, yeah. That's what's been revealed of RWBY so far.

I'll link any further trailers, etc. as I find them.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I like the White trailer. Both for whatever tidbits of characterization present in her song and her fighting style. And cause she's an idol singer in twintails.

I'll definitely watch it when it comes out in 2+ years.

Now lets talk about the sad state of the mainstream 2D Western animation industry!

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I like Red, personally, but you know that already.

> dat smirk

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

what is RWBY

I have seen it on tumblr.

• edited 2013-02-27 12:02:32

It's an animation project by Monty Oum (who did Haloid and currently is with Rooster Teeth, who did Red vs. Blue and such).  It's about girls fighting monsters or something.  Currently there are just those two trailers though.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

what is RWBY

What you see is what you get.

Oh, plus confirmation of their names: Red is called Ruby, and White is called Weiss Schnee, which means 'White Snow'.

oh wow

I figured it was something that was out already given the amount of fandom there is already. Also the shipping, but the shipping is less surprising.

"girls fighting monsters" is as good a premise as any though. I'll probably watch it when it comes out, webseries (which I assume this is?) are good.

I honestly don't know if it's a webseries, but probably, yeah.

We also don't know if the premise is 'girls fight monsters' or if that's just incidental and they wanted to show off their combat animations.

But yeah, I'm definitely watching it when it's released.

Also, there's a whole lot of Red/White shipping fanart and such already. I guess that's what you get when you pair a cocky/confident heroine with an elegant, lonely princess-type though. (Plus, there's the motif- Ruby fights on white snow, which is Weiss' thing, and Weiss bleeds and stains her face with red, which is Ruby's thing. Enough to provide some basis for shipping I guess.)

I suspect this will turn into a Touhou fandom situation where the fanon ends up more popular than the canon.

I may be wrong though.

I guess it depends. Touhou's partially so popular because there's relatively little to go with in terms of characterization of characters, and no particular story to get in the way. RWBY seems like is has actual characterization and story and stuff, which gets in the way of that.

There's actually a ton of story and characterization for Touhou, it's just that most of it is lost in translation due to the relative (compared to the games anyway) obscurity and in a few cases unpopularity of the handful of official manga that exist, and that ZUN has put an unofficial ban on people spoiling the games' endings for others, which tends to be followed.

So it's not so much a lack of characterization as much as an inacessability to it.

Of course I understand what you mean regardless.

• You all should watch this.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Not enough AT talk in this thread.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu4x3uHnqv1qkd4ago1_500.gif

• Speaking of Pendleton Ward, Bravest Warriors is a pretty fun show, and everyone should give it a try because it's on Youtube and every episode is just shy of five minutes.

That said, I'm pretty stoked for RWBY, because everything that Monty Oum does is visually exciting, and the visual language and allusions seem interesting.

• "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

I binged the entirety of Adventure Time a week or so ago. My sister's still catching up, but she's enjoying it as well.

(Also, I need to put my Animation 12 final project on the 'net somewhere, for people to see. Eventually.)

• I don't watch Adventure Time (or Regular Show) as often as I should, despite DVRing them... >_>

Well, having looked up more about RWBY, it has been confirmed that all the character are girls. And the premise is, indeed, 'they fight monsters'.

RWBY brings four very different girls together for one legendary purpose. These four fighters will come face-to-face with menacing creatures, devious villains, and an incredible cast of characters.

The first episode of the show is also set to premiere in July, at the Rooster Teeth Expo this year. Sweet.

So, there have been two Genderbent Adventure Time episodes. One focusing on Prince Gumball, voiced by Neil Patrick Harris, and another focusing on Marshall Lee, voiced by Donald Glover.

I wonder what cult male actor will voice Flame Prince. I think it should be Dante Basco, both for the injoke (prince of the fire kingdom?), and Zuko has a fitting voice for the prince.
  • Come to think of it, I think that Adventure Time is popular enough to warrant its own thread, if there isn't already one for it here.

I made one, but it went dead.

• I'm a damn twisted person

I present to you all The Reward 

• edited 2013-02-28 01:08:56
    "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."

^ Hey, I just watched that! My sister and I were swapping vids earlier. I guess I'll post this one instead.

• edited 2013-02-28 01:22:10

The Reward is pretty fun.

I once spent one whole day watching nothing but animated short films. I'll go poke through my memories and see if I can remember any good ones.

We should talk more about established cartoons on television.

Good ones still exist, you know :p

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Not sure if I should talk about the new Gravity Falls episode that was leaked here or the actual thread.

Normally I'd say here, but there's enough people who'll discuss it that it'd clutter the thread, so I'd say its own thread, much like MLP.

• edited 2013-02-28 01:23:28
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Agreed.

Who else is gonna watch Korra Season 2? Here's hoping they can bounce back from that crappy ending. (Excluding Amon-related awesomeness)

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^I'm optimistic, since they seemed to have brought back most of the writers from TLA instead of leaving it to only Mike and Bryan.

• You can change. You can.

Kinda pessimistic, really. If it gets better, I'm sure people will holla.