If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General politics thread (was: General U.S. politics thread)

Comments

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Do they seriously not realize how fucking crazy having an enemies page with addresses makes you look?
  • a little muffled

"Look, we're not advocating violence, all we're saying is, you guys have guns and these guys probably don't."

• Champion of the Whales

^

Maybe someone should tell them that the UK just passed a law about legalising SSM

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I thought they said it'd get killed in the House of Lords?

• Champion of the Whales

The Tories hope that

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

YES.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Better than Greg Killmaster or Barry Steakfries?

Actually, come to think of it, he DOES face stiff competition from Lawrence Eagleburger.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    The House of Lords can only delay a bill, not kill it entirely. Besides, the party with the most Lords Temporal is Labour.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

so drone strikes and Congress trying to buy the military tanks that they don't want.

whelp.

• edited 2013-02-08 21:27:21

This is... what the hell?

Planned Parenthood of the Heartland President Jill June called the effort to restrict abortion rights “the most extreme yet.”

“This bill would imprison a woman and her doctor for attempting an abortion,” June said in a statement on Wednesday. “A victim of rape or incest would be forced to carry a pregnancy or be put in jail, just like her assailant. Extremists pushing this bill are blinded by their ideology to eliminate abortion, and do not realize how this bill could hurt women and families in our state.”

I doubt this is going to pass, but the fact that somebody actually proposed this? Who votes for this kind of people?
  • Evangelicals.

People who believe that simply by declaring and believing something is, it becomes so.

• edited 2013-02-13 14:44:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

In other news, Marco Rubio (R senator from FL) brags about still living in the same working-class neighborhood as he used to...and he's selling his house at the same time.

• edited 2013-02-13 17:26:07

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130213/NEWS/130219767/

Nebraska's lieutenant governor recently resigned because of a scandal (I think).

Governor Dave Heinemann (R) appointed a replacement LG.  Said replacement is former state senator and current U of Nebraska Board of Regents member Levon Heidemann.

Well, well, well, what do we have here.

http://w3.newsmax.com/newsletters/franklin/zero_tax_2013_video_text.cfm?promo_code=F847-1

(WARNING!: Newsmax site with "informational" advertising)

This guy spends the first several minutes complaining about "big government" and offering several anecdotes exemplifying government waste.

About three minutes later, he promises you that this book will tell you how to buy a car and take a vacation on the government's dime.  And the page's description text promises something that "allows you to sit back and collect tax-advantaged paychecks without having to lift a finger."

Oh, did you hear that guy say that he's not against paying is fair share for roads and schools?  Why don't we take another look at the title of that page...

How to Pay Zero Taxes . . . Legally!

For the record, said "fair share" appears to be zero.

Anyhow, this just goes to show that money-minded conservatives aren't actually interested in government efficiency.  They're interested in how to make government completely penniless and useless and kick it aside.

FYI, this is the sort of book marketed to people who are the "one day I'll be rich if I do everything like the rich people do" sort.  Which just doubles how much of a morally-bankrupt scam it is.

In case you're not familiar with it, Newsmax is a publisher of "news" directed toward a conservative audience.  They're very well known for, especially around election times and when major policy debates are going on, putting up these web ads with very simple white-background blue-and-red-bordered banner ads telling people to vote on whether a dumb-looking Democrat's associated policy idea is a bad idea (or, less often, whether a less-dumb-looking Republican's associated policy idea is a good idea).  If you click those links, you often get directed to pages asking you to sign up for stuff, as well as associated pages asking you to sign up for or buy other stuff.

Sadly, they're only mediocre at picking out dumb photos.

• edited 2013-02-16 08:03:22

Not actual news, but it's saying something:

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA—Numerous sources confirmed today that it would not shock you in the slightest if this newspaper article was about 12 isolated mass shootings occurring across the country this afternoon that together left 318 people either wounded or dead.

(...)

Sources added that should you, during the course of your day, see pictures of thousands upon thousands of shaken and weeping bystanders standing outside the 12 unrelated massacre scenes, with countless ambulances and police cars behind them, it would elicit in you emotions of sadness and disgust, but no feeling remotely close to disbelief.

(...)

At press time, sources confirmed that the only thing that does come as a surprise to you is the fact that this sort of thing hasn’t already happened yet.

How much truth is in this, anyway? Would it be unsurprising to one day read about 12 mass shootings that altogether leave 318 people dead?

Actually, considering this is The Onion, I'm almost inclined to take the article to mean that something like this has happened. Or maybe I'm overthinking this.

• edited 2013-02-17 21:35:14

I think the headline here says as much as I can convey:

Rep. Rayne Brown, North Carolina State Republican, Introduces Bill Criminalizing Nipple Exposure

• edited 2013-02-17 22:58:57

1. In other news, some Republicans have claimed that President Obama and Democrats are attempting to impose Sharia law on the country.

2. In other news, Republican in general have complained about Democrats being wasteful of taxpayers' money.

3. I don't see a provision criminalizing bulges in pants.

• Someone on another forum I go to (rhetorically, perhaps) suggested criminalizing butt cracks.

• >"You know what they say-duct tape fixes everything"

>in b4 people suggesting the senator tapes his gob shut

• ^^ Well of course.  Crack kills, you know.

• edited 2013-02-18 10:56:11
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

(WRONG THREAD.)

Whatever you linked to was a Facebook page that no longer exists.

• edited 2013-02-18 10:58:53
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

That is entirely the point, but I still put that in the wrong thread. Sorry. Will correct soon.

For something completely different: wouldn't a person introducing Sharia law also try to criminalize nipple exposure? Or the other way round, the latter would find support from the former.

Religious extremists have a hilarious way of opposing both reasonable people and each other.

Anyhow, I was just reviewing in my head the party control of all the country's state legislatures.  I forgot a few of them, but one of the more curious cases was asking myself about Oklahoma.

I was like, it's Dem-controlled if the other shoe hasn't dropped yet, Repub-controlled if it has.

/me looks up Oklahoma state senate and state house, finds Republicans in control

Yep, it has.

• ^^ Well of course.  Crack kills, you know.

> butt crack

> drugs

> taking drugs via butt

@_@

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I heard some people do it, honestly.

Though the most bizarre method some of my friends use to get high has to be taking ganja through a gas mask.