If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Sexual abuse and harassment of women in today's Egypt

edited 2013-02-12 02:00:29 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I am not familiar with this source, but sadly I would not be surprised if everything mentioned here is true.

That said, it seems that if there's at least one good thing about the Egyptian Revolution, it's that everything has become far more transparent. Life may still be hell, but at least there's the tiny glimmer of hope that someone else who understands will find out about it, especially if people speak out.

Again, discuss.

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Watched a thing on this earlier this month on Aljazeera, what really angers me is the smug sheiks/community leaders who say "See, letting men and women exist in the same room will obviously lead to sexual assault! Told ya so!" Which aside from the victim blaming kind of takes away from entire point of why the people of differing genders are standing together in this protest >_>

• No rainbow star

Because a vigilante group is always stable and perfectly impartial and always catch the right guy

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well I think vigilante groups have generally predated institutionalized civil security.

• No rainbow star

Just saying. The pendulum's gonna swing REALLY hard back by the looks of it

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

It is a tough balance. What happens when you can't depend on the law to defend you?

[insert appropriate Dark Knight quote]

• It's better than nothing. Besides, I'd like to think a spray and a scolding aren't that far from what you'd get as a group reaction if you'd molest someone in broad daylight on a street in any of our countries.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

While I'm not generally one to side with vigilantism, there is something heartening about the fact that the extremists and harassers are the subjects rather than the propagators here, particularly given the smug assertions by certain Western commentators that the Egyptian people were "too backward" to establish a liberal democracy.

• No rainbow star
    Malk: You put on a ski mask and murder extremely rich parents right in front of their son, then wait about twenty years
  • You can change. You can.

Well, that can either lead to Batman or

uhhhh

not batman

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

The outcome, however, will almost certainly be moe. 

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

"S-Stupid revolutionaries! It's not like I want you to write my constitution..."

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You put on a ski mask and murder extremely rich parents right in front of their son, then wait about twenty years 

Ah. I guess this explains why there's no real life Batman. Tyrants and bandits have been generally careful enough to avoid fulfilling every of these conditions. Even if they checked all others, they just weren't wearing the mask.