If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Pope Benedict to resign

edited 2013-02-11 06:24:24 in Meatspace
But you never had any to begin with.

Article

Not so much an IJBM as much as a completely unexpected thing to happen, considering the last papal resignation was in 1415.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...he hasn't even been in the post for very long, has he?

• But you never had any to begin with.

8 years.

• edited 2013-02-11 06:40:00
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

...it's been 8 years since John Paul II kicked the bucket, already?

...it's been 11 years since Metroid Prime came out, already?

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Life is so short.

• What a pansy, he didn't even get shot.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Perhaps that's the point? John Paul II got shot, and came back as John Paul II... uh, wait... actually, he was the White even before that...

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

As much as I detest Ratzinger's interpretation of the Catholic faith and deplore many of his actions, there is something a touch sad about feeling that one is too old and frail to properly serve the faith that one has given one's life to.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I actually agree with the "too old" assessment, but I am a tad cynical about such things.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

He was pretty ancient when he was assigned papalcy. Maybe they'll pick someone slightly younger?

• You can change. You can.

And then Darth Vader became Pope Vader.

• No rainbow star
    I for one look forward to the next Pope force choking someone
  • You can change. You can.

"You have failed me for the last time, Camerlengo"

I don't know the average age range of the current pool of Cardinals (they can technically pick any baptized male to be pope, but I don't think that's happened since the Middle Ages), but I would not expect us to have a 20 year old pope any time this year.

50s or 60s maybe.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Just a matter of time before there's a visual novel called My Girlfriend is the Pope.

• edited 2013-02-11 15:23:54
    But you never had any to begin with.

The youngest pope at the time of election in the last century was John Paul II, at 58. Which I guess is kinda unfair, seeing as he took up a quarter of said century. In fact, the youngest pope in the last 500 years was 37, and that was back in 1513.

• No rainbow star
    ^^^ BRB going to convince the Cardinals to Popitize me for laughs
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-11 16:02:04

Well, good on him for recognizing his limits.  IIRC Benedict didn't even want to be Pope in the first place and was hoping to retire before he got elected, so I guess between that and the massive scandals and hateboners that got thrown at him from the second he started...well, it's gonna wear on a guy.

Despite his more disagreeable positions, I do greatly respect how hard he's been fighting on matters of economic justice.  Caritas in Veritate didn't hit so hard in the US (Paul Ryan would rather you have never heard of it, or heard that he got pretty much uniformly castigated by the See every time he proposed a bill), but it caused enough waves in Europe to do a whole lot of good.

"Hateboners" is a funny way to spell "people pissed off because he had a hand in covering up a massive scandal".

You're entitled to respect the man if you want to, but I find it difficult to see him as anything resembling a positive figure.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Just a matter of time before there's a visual novel called My Girlfriend is the Pope.

My Little Sister Can't Be The Pope! (and we can still use the acronym Oreimo!.. maybe Oreimopo?)