If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Aaron Swartz didn't hate John Searle

edited 2013-02-05 13:34:23 in Philosophy

Previously I had thought programmer nerds despised the Chinese Room like they despised INSERT THING PROGRAMMERS DESPISE HERE so this is kind of breaking my perception of reality.

http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/searle

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

why would you hate Chinese Room.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

nevermind I thought you meant the game developer.

• Stop relying on stereotypes so much Myr. Programmer nerds are not a monolithic whole. 

Note as a programmer nerd, while I find the Chinese Room a weak argument, I don't despise it. I feel it has too many assumptions built in such as understanding Chinese to be able to map the symbols to dictionary definition. 

• I'm sorry, it's just that every programmer nerd I've met so far has despised it.

• I could see it as a reasonable assumption to make if you've met a large number of programmer nerds and they all despised it. Still I find it better to assume there is at least on exception to a stereotype. 

• edited 2013-02-05 13:55:40
    (void)

His name is Aaron Swartz.  Not Schwartz.  Swartz.  Swartz.  Swartz.  NO "SCH".

Edit: Thank you.