If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• I'unno, I like looking forward to playing games to buy champions and stuff, and they're quite cheap unless you like lots of them. Runes are a scam, though.

Trivia time: Orianna was inspired by Youmu (and Youmuu's Ghostblade too, duh).

• edited 2013-02-03 20:09:18
    I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

They said her ult was inspired by marth (I mean it is his melee attack).

Orianna was inspired by Youmu/Myon's combination and Glados, moreso than Youmu herself.

There is also wriggle's lantern.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Fire Emblem: Awakening is out, and I'm downloading it as we speak.

I can't remember the last time I was this hyped for a game.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The information surrounding that game got really confusing. Half the people claim the Avatar can hook up with anyone, while the other half claims that the Avatar can only hook up with people of the opposite gender.

Plus, it'll probably be harder than The Sacred Stones, so I won't pick it up.

^It's just the opposite gender, unfortunately.

Also, there's a casual mode that disables perma-death, with that on normal mode it's probably easier than Sacred Stones.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's just the opposite gender, unfortunately.

That kind of annoys me.

Also, there's a casual mode that disables perma-death, with that on normal mode it's probably easier than Sacred Stones.

It also doesn't let me level/get heaps and heaps of gold, like TSS does, though. While I wouldn't permanently lose any of my members, I'd also have a much harder time on missions.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

That kind of annoys me.

It will annoy me depending one thing: Is the hooking up married to a descendant system like in Seisen no Keifu?

• edited 2013-02-04 02:01:38
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

It also doesn't let me level/get heaps and heaps of gold, like TSS does, though. While I wouldn't permanently lose any of my members, I'd also have a much harder time on missions.

Actually, Awakening has a world map and random skirmishes just like Sacred Stones. And they kinda throw money at you in this game. Grinding is really easy.

You don't go to skirmishes to level up, that's silly. :|

• edited 2013-02-04 02:21:37
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Steal all stealables, win all winnables, no weapon breaking, assign specific ships beforehand, get all characters, get all secrets, lowest levels possible (unless conflict with previous conditions), Fox only, final destination.

Steal all stealables, win all winnables, no weapon breaking, assign specific ships beforehand, get all characters, get all secrets, lowest levels possible (unless conflict with previous conditions), Fox only, final destination.

Funny enough, I'm already planning on doing most of these.

Who even plays Fire Emblem without stealing everything, winning everything, getting all secrets, and getting all characters :|

• edited 2013-02-04 02:32:38
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Terrible people. Terrible people who don't deserve to play this wonderful game.

also there actually isn't any stealing in awakening

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

what

I don't believe it!

• edited 2013-02-04 03:25:33
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

So, some thoughts on DotA2:

The biggest obstacle I see in "mainstream" success for DotA (beyond the mainstream of competitive gaming) is how counter intuitive successful gameplay strategies are in relation to the theme. That is, DotA is themed around fantasy battles where exaggerated caricatures of various fantasy cliches are the main players. So the first conclusion any new player is going to make, based only on the premise, is that the game is based around balls-out courageous heroism with an emphasis on very fine micromanagement. 

That's very much not the case, so the main reason for DotA2 still being in beta isn't surprising -- Valve can't work out how to teach people how to play the game intuitively. To succeed, you have to do some strange stuff. For instance, rather than hitting the frontlines against enemy creeps with gusto, you have to hang back behind your own creeps and snipe for the last hit against enemies so you get the gold reward. You also get passive experience points just for being near a battle, which disincentivises taking part due to the HP drain. Oddly, it's good form to attack your creeps if they're at low HP, because that way you can prevent an enemy hero from getting the gold reward for the last hit on them.  

All this stuff makes a lot of sense from a gameplay perspective, but very little sense of a theming perspective, and wrapping one's head around these concepts and the player skill requirements for them is no doubt a large obstacle for new players. The game obviously has a lot of depth to it, but succeeding at general gameplay is just so terribly counter intuitive that I doubt gamers outside hardcore competitive scenes are going to really take to it.

DotA, I think, had to be a mod for a popular game to ever take off, because it's so grounded in competitive logic from its foundations all the way to top. While it now has enough of a playerbase and reputation to succeed as a product in its own right, one can speculate about what might have happened if DotA was released as a standalone game all those years ago -- probably nothing. Coming from WC3 was the best option for something like the original DotA, because players of WC3 would have already gotten used to many of those strategically useful concepts that are required for successful play of DotA to make sense.

Or, in short, DotA is very much geared towards the highly competitive mindset and makes a lot of sense from that perspective. From a more general perspective of "casual" play, wherein a link between theming and gameplay is necessary for any kind of complex game, it leaves much to be desired. 

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Better question - who plays Fire Emblem and leaves troops to die?

Speedrunners, probably.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Except losing troops would make later battles take longer.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I do really wish there was Same-Gendered Marriage in FE:A.

But let's start with real-life, eh? :p

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So, some upcoming Steam games have been leaked.

Quantum Conundrum 2

God fucking damn it.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Meanwhile, La-Mulana and Fez.

And possibly an SNK showing on Steam? The myriad of KOF titles suggests so.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about those two.

Still, though...Quantum Conundrum is like my arch-nemesis game. I've played worse games, but Quantum Conundrum is bad in a particularly unforgivable way.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

So The Witcher 3 has been announced via Game Informer.

I thought some of you might like to know if you didn't already.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

:D

Why PSV NIS WHY?

And only one of those portented Steam games is a good game.

t. Trollish Critic

And only one of those portented Steam games is a good game.

Yeah, Yogventures is pretty great.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

So, The Witcher 3 news is pretty exciting. The gist of it is that they're going to refine the gameplay of The Witcher 2, but make the whole game much wider in scope and more emergent. The quickest explanation I can give is if you combined The Witcher 2, Mount & Blade, and Skyrim. 

I have faith in CD Projekt Red. But it's certainly a tall order. 

It's really hard to sum up my thoughts on The Witcher 3 without resorting to the phrase "Yay, something besides XCOM for everyone to wank about for a few months".

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

It's not out until 2014.

So we'll be wanking to it until then. And we'll only stop there if it sucks. If it's good, you'll be hearing about it for years after the fact. 

Apparently they're going for an approach that pretty much mirrors the other games in terms of narrative structure but in context of an open world environment (which is reportedly 20% bigger than Skyrim's, if that's worth anything. Probably still smaller than Oblivion, though). Like, there are certain linear events that can only take place in a particular order, but your actions are supposed to have drastic influence on how they pan out, which characters are involved, how they respond to your contributions and so on. 

Another thing I like the sound of is how monster hunter is going to be handled. In previous games, you got "contracts", which were pretty much quests -- slay X of Y monster, bring back pieces of them as evidence, and then collect your XP and cash. In The Witcher 3, they want the approach to monster hunting to be more synchronised with the rest of the game. So they happen more "naturally" -- a village you waltz into for supplies might have a basilisk problem, for instance, and they might not front much cash for it (being poor peasants and whatnot). But monster hunting is good for other reasons -- reputation, for one thing, as well as keeping your skills sharp. Unlike other games, though, monster remains will have very specific and exclusive ingredients that are of major benefit to you. While monster remains really aided the ingredient economy in the previous games, it looks as though actually taking down monsters will be a bigger deal in this one. 

Interestingly, they want to keep a similar combat system to the second game but have over 90 combat animations for Geralt. For reference's sake, the previous game gave Geralt 20 combat animations. Furthermore, they're removing "running" from combat. As in, you and your enemies will walk, with your techniques and actions providing the majority of your maneuverability. It's a very interesting concept and I'd like to see how it pans out. Perhaps they're going to map different tactical options to keys rather than specific actions?

Also, you get a goddamned horse. I know this has been in open world games since Ocarina of Time, but it's been an egregious lack in context of Witcher stuff. Mounted combat is a "maybe", depending on how they get things ironed out.