If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

If you'd like, PM me about it, I can give you a bunch of tips on how to make the game's combat easier on yourself without breaking it (getting Hard Edge and Carbon Bangles in Shinra, etc).

Or get a walkthrough I guess.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I can't actually name a time where he's angsty other than in his appearance in Kingdom Hearts. Was he particularly angsty in Advent Children/Crisis Core? (I'm pretty sure it's no for Crisis Core.)

I haven't played Crisis Core, but hell yes he was angsty in Advent Children.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I need to watch that when I finish the game, I guess.

Watching it when I was 15 before I knew the first thing about the game was not my wisest choice.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I really wanted to like the game. I LOVED the materia system. But man, the fights just drag on by now.

To be fair, Final Fantasy has never really excelled at interesting combat. The carrot over our nose is never quite the combat experience itself but the narrative reward for continued success. Having an ATB bar is great for the purposes of tension, but it often boils down to a more visual representation of turn order. For my money, contemporaries like Chrono Trigger and Tales of Phantasia blew it out of the water in terms of interesting combat. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think the battles of FFVII are easy enough as is.  That said, like others here, I take objection to the fight wooshes, the spell animations, and everything of that sort -- it just makes the game drag on.  Random battles are frequently the most boring part of JRPGs, constantly interrupting my exploring places and advancing the narrative and generally doing stuff.

Additionally, FFVII felt (much more than FFVI, at least) like i was constantly being shuttled between plot events, cutscenes, and such.  It didn't help that maps other than the overworld looked open but generaly had maybe two or three exits all the time.

One thing I like about FFIV (that's 4, not 6) is its extremely quick spell animations.  Compared to later series at least.  This is generally true for all the older games, but especially noticeable for spells like the very powerful and very quick Lit-3 in FFIV, which were quite literally just a zap and a splash, and that's it.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Quick spell animations kinda get cancelled out by ludicrous casting times.

The only one with a ludicrous casting time is Meteo, and as you're waiting for it, the rest of your party can do stuff.

Comet, tier 3 magic, yada yada.

I think back then I actualy categorized Meteo as a 6th-order spell.

Fire1, Ice-1, and Lit-1 were 1st order spells, -2 were 2nd-order, -3 were 3rd order.  But they had, respectively, just 16x, 64x, and 256x magic attack power multipliers.  Meteo is actually 800x (even though it's mostly wasted thanks to damage cap).  In comparison I think Bahamut is 400x or 480x.  IIRC, White (Holy) is 445x, though it uses the white magic stat (will, I think) rather than the black magic stat (wisdom).  So those would be 5th-order, and something in between is probably 4th-order.

• They're somethin' else.

Shadow Man's pattern is both amazingly simple and fucking infuriating.

• I can vouch for this. That's why I like to stay away from him so I can better react to what he does.

• They're somethin' else.

I find that where I often think I can take on his slide, I jump too early and he'll decide to shuriken me instead.

I gave up and used top spin. I'll try again in the afternoon.

• You guys actually used Meteo in FFIV?  I think I settled for Flare or a tier-3 elemental whenever I wanted the mage to break out something.

Also Rydia was terrible and Palom was better.

No one used Meteo in FFIV except because super cool, or because they didn't know better, or because casting a 99 MP spell with 0/90 MP thanks to cutscene power.

• I just spammed the fuck out of Flare and Bahamut. And maybe Bio.

The Advance version makes things ridiculous with Kain's Lance, which can activate Tornado.

• edited 2013-02-03 15:58:01
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Flare is 400xB and Bahamut is 480xB, come to think of it.

So Meteo, clocking in at 800xB (800 times black magic intermediate modifier stat), really is insane.

• edited 2013-02-03 16:01:38
    But you never had any to begin with.

Well, there's always Twin Meteor in the GBA and PSP versions. Also, Meteor is handy in NG+ in the DS version  because you can get the Limit Break augment to make the damage limit 99999.

get the what??

• edited 2013-02-03 16:05:03
    But you never had any to begin with.

In the DS version, you can get Augments, which are essentially extra skills you can apply to one character for the rest of the game. For example, the Item Lore augment, which doubles the effect of healing items. They also increase your stat gains past level 70.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2013-02-03 17:09:08

They're reporting shipping delays for FE: Awakening. I know this is common whenever Nintendo releases a game on a Monday, but for the game that's poised to be the "OOT" of the Fire Emblem series(great reviews, an actual advertising campaign, already sold out at most retailers), that's kind of a killjoy.

• Champion of the Whales

I found the game too boring. Mind you, I "only" played the first four hours... but four hours into a game, one ought to be into the meat of the experience and I hadn't found myself at that point yet.

FFVII suffers from the fact that the first four hours are shit and the game only gets going in the first town you visit

FFVII suffers from the fact that the first four hours are shit and the game only gets going in the first town you visit

I'm kinda confused by what you mean here. I mean, Midgar could easily be considered a (very very big) town.

Here's the problem with Midgar.

Story-wise, it's extremely interesting.  In fact, I just about thought that the entire game would take place in Midgar, for a while.

Gameplay-wise, however, it feels like I'm being shuttled from cutscene to cutscene, playing out random battles along the way in order to gain enough levels to tackle the next boss, and practically all the bosses are giant space fleas from nowhere.

• Champion of the Whales

I'm kinda confused by what you mean here. I mean, Midgar could easily be considered a (very very big) town.

I mean the town of Kalm

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

They're reporting shipping delays for FE: Awakening. I know this is common whenever Nintendo releases a game on a Monday, but for the game that's poised to be the "OOT" of the Fire Emblem series(great reviews, an actual advertising campaign, already sold out at most retailers), that's kind of a killjoy.

I'm not really surprised, Nintendo's always really underestimated Fire Emblem's demand in the U.S.

Though I gotta say, I'm felling mighty vindicated by going for the digital copy.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Dota 2 has the advantage in that, as far as I have seen, all the items are cosmetic and you get all the heroes (all 110 of them) free.

LoL plays a game where it makes you pay for heroes, even if offers free heroes on a cycle. Given that some of these heroes are pretty OP, I just prefer DOTA 2's F2P system.

Even though I love Riven since she is basically a cross between Youmu and Marth.

Are there also heroes called Myst and Uru?

Sounds like LoL uses the same scheme as Rise of Immortals (now known as Battle for Graxia), which is the only such game I've played before.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Dota 2 has the advantage in that, as far as I have seen, all the items are cosmetic and you get all the heroes (all 110 of them) free.

LoL plays a game where it makes you pay for heroes, even if offers free heroes on a cycle. Given that some of these heroes are pretty OP, I just prefer DOTA 2's F2P system.

Even though I love Riven since she is basically a cross between Youmu and Marth.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I'm pretty sure Riven is FVII Cloud with Advent Children's Fusion swords.