If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Meatpuppet Theater Thread

Comments

• I feel Cloud Atlas is kinda meh, myself, but I'm apparently alone on that one.

Nah, it got a pretty mixed reception, and while I did say I liked it a lot, I wouldn't say it's a great movie, I just thought that, given the general movie output this year and the expanded number of nominees, it could've snatched a nomination... if anything for it's scale and scope.

Beasts of the Sothern Wild is called manipulative and insincere? How come?

I don't remember the exact criticism, sorry.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Less doomsaying and more irritation at irrelevant crap. I wonder any nominations for Seven Paychopaths? It deserves more recognition than it got.
  • So, Golden Globes:

Predictable wins: Les Miserables (Best Comedy/Musical... what the fuck's up with this category, anyway?), Daniel Day Lewis (even though many people claimed Phoenix did a much better job).

Not so predictable but not unexpected: Homeland (undeservingly this time, in my opinion), Jessica Chastain,  Brave (lolpixar).

The shocking twist: Argo wins best drama, and Affleck best director (he's not even nominated for the oscars).

• You can change. You can.

(Best Comedy/Musical... what the fuck's up with this category, anyway?)

Considering how award shows hate comedies, I'm actually OK with it getting a separate category and winning recognition over there rather than nothing at all. 

• Oh, yeah. But the thing is, the Comedy or Musical thing seems so arbitrary. I mean, Les Miserables is much more of a Drama than Django... of course, maybe I'm bitter because I wanted Moonrise Kingdom to have a chance to win.

Also, apparently it was mentioned repeatedly that making Les Miserables was "very brave", which is odd, considering it has over 50 movie adaptations.

But the thing is, the Comedy or Musical thing seems so arbitrary.

Oh it is, I just thought you were complaining about comedy getting a separate category.

Also, apparently it was mentioned repeatedly that making Les Miserables was "very brave", which is odd, considering it has over 50 movie adaptations.

Letting Russell Crowe sing considering his musical career is very brave if you asked me.

• So I saw Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain.

It was good, but exhausting.

• I finally saw Django Unchained.

It was pretty fun, especially seeing Dicaprio ham it up.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'm hopefully seeing that on Thursday.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

i tried watching the first episode of supernatural but my internet was being too slow for it to buffer and then netflix crashed and then my ceiling caught fire

should i take this as a sign y/n

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

n

yeah god wants you to watch the wire

• All of the gods, actually. Well, not Loki, but he's a dick anyway.

Old Loki or Kid Loki? Kid Loki would totes watch The Wire, just for hipster cred. I really should pick it up again, but the first episode is such a horrible hook. Yes yes blah blah blah it rewards long watches and close attention, but the first episode just comes off as flat for me.

I totally feel you on that because really, I only really enjoyed the show once I started watching it as a whole rather than piece by piece. It's definitely one of those "bigger than the sum of its parts" shows. 

so yeah i dunno what to tell you except lock yourself in a room with food for about ten hours and let the episodes play nonstop until you finish the first season and if you didn't enjoy any of it, then I don't think you will enjoy what comes next.

• Twitter Marxists tell me that The Wire is on par with Birth of a Nation in terms of sheer racism.

boy you're the soul of the party aren't cha

Maybe twitter Marxists are a warped oracle for our modern age. With the right ever shifting lense we can look past their inanity and wrongness and learn hidden truths of the world. Although one wonders what they did before twitter. Perhaps they just whispered weird shit to dogs for their immediate human peers grew weary of their company? Or perhaps they are an emergent psychic life form, opportunistically seizing a new niche in the mental plane.

Man, none of that even has him or LucasArts confirming such.

• edited 2013-01-25 21:08:37
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I haven't seen it, but from what I've heard, every single time torture is used in that movie, it results in bad intel, and people are just angry because the characters don't turn to the camera and go "TORTURE IS BAD DON'T DO IT."

• a little muffled
    Gotta be better than Lucas, right?
  • No, it will be a thousand times worse than Lucas. Careers will be destroyed by the movie. The Star Wars franchise will become a sick joke. People will order copies of all the Star Wars movies from netflix just to smash them with a hammer, not carrying about the price. J.J. Abrams will publicly commit seppuku as an apology. We will all miss the days old George handled the franchise.

• a little muffled
    I guess that's possible too.

Business as usual, then.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Saw Ralph Fiennes' adaptation of Coriolanus, set in an alt-reality Serbia.

It was really, really odd to see a multi-racial cast with Latin names reciting Shakespearian dialogue with a dozen different accents, in contemporary Belgrade "that calls itself Rome". Good movie, though, if kinda boring at several points.

• So, the Screen Actors Guild awards held no real surprises, and the only highlight is that Marion Cotillard looks extremely attractive with short straight hair.