If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Collecting animu figures

edited 2012-12-22 20:38:27 in Media
My arms are falling off!

I never really saw the appeal in it. I mean yeah, for I dunno, $50-80, I get this figure that looks all nice and detailed and...that's it.

Meanwhile my friends have slews of them and show them off on myfigurecollection and the like and I can't imagine having such a huge collection. I don't even have shelf space in my room anyway.

Comments

• Do Gundam models count?

(I had some Gundam figures as a kid, figure the non-adjustable glue-it-yourself models are the ubernerd equivalent of models of ships or aircraft.)

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I'd probably buy a few if I had the disposable income, but food and comic books come firt.

• I'm a damn twisted person

These are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I have quite a few strung out around my shelves. Granted most of them are mini things, on a small scale, but there are a few normal sized statuettes and the Clone Trooper bust.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Always struck me as a touch absurd, I must say...

Doesn't strike me as any more absurd than being really passionate over a bunch of guys throwing a ball around a field, really.

Yeah. Granted I've gotten to the point where I realize most of the things I like are fairly absurd and don't really give a fuck about trying to look respectable or serious. I mean I've inherited a set of china that I'll never use and a nice looking full encyclopedia that is functionally pointless thanks to the internet, or the rugs that are functionally pointless thanks to the near shag carpeting* but I kept them around since they look nice and give the room a certain style.

Granted the figurines just have the style of "I'm a nerd" but eh.

*my apartment building is very, very 70s.

• edited 2012-12-22 23:50:27
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

One of the Christmas gifts I got was a video game artbook that's one of those coffee table books.

The thing is some of the games it has art for are lolicon games and the cover of it is Catherine so I'd feel uncomfortable actually putting it on my coffee table.

Solution - bury it under other coffee table books. Granted opening a book of Mucha or Erte art, or hell Bruce Timm or Amanda Connor art is substantially less skeevy than opening a book with lolicon art. 

Yeah, it's a shame because there's a lot of great art in it, a good deal of which I really like. I don't even mind the other sexy full-bodied anime girl because let's face it: With me that's no surprise. Lolicon art is just uncomfortable for all parties involved. Nobody, not even actual lolicons air the laundry in public.

I'd also like to stress this is actually a great gift because aside from those few instances of lolicon there's some really great art in here, and any book with an Aigis full-page spread gets a plus from me.

• Cut out the lolicon pages and the cover and turn them into a daring, edgy art project somehow.

I am not desecrating a Christmas present!

Even if you got one of those magic logs that shits candy when you hit it with a stick?

• Take out some whiteout and cover it up.

Anyway, who gave that to you? And did they skim through it before they did? I think Amazon lets you do that, at least for the first couple of pages.

The weird loli stuff isn't until later on. And it was in my wishlist as well. Neither of us knew about the loli content.

It's really not a big deal. It's just not going to be on the coffee table. Though Alk's suggestion of Bruce Timm and Amanda Connor art sounds good.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well if it's worth anything I don't mind it being on your coffee table when I come visit.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I, on the other hand, would probably be creeped out if it was opened to the pages with it, or if I knew it had it in it.

Yeah, Nova's kind of got it there. I personally don't mind it that much but I know other people would be bothered by it, and consequently probably make untoward assumptions about me.

• edited 2012-12-23 01:22:14
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Better question: Is the art actually ethically questionable itself, or does it just have art of characters who hail from an ethically-questionable source?

I really wouldn't care much if it were the latter, but if it were the former, that would be a far bigger issue.

Depends on your definition of ethically questionable. It's basically lolis in skimpy clothing. It's not explicitly sexual like the Catherine or even Persona art.

On one hand I want to ask you further to try to draw the line somewhere.

On the other hand, I don't want to ask you because that path leads to madness.

• My arms are falling off!

I've dealt with enough friends who also happen to be into lolicon (or shotacon for that matter) that I'm not too badly phased by it. Still annoying though.

Hell, I hate Otomedius (Excellent) less because of the fanservice, and more because the game as a whole is terrible.

• Well, good.  Because hating a game called "Otomedius" because of its fanservice would feel like... missing the point, kind of.

• edited 2012-12-23 05:50:00
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I think hating anything because of fanservice is a little dumb. I could be biased though.

I don't see a problem with hating something because of its fanservice.  Especially if it's rather obviously just pandering and in a very obnoxious, unsubtle way.

• edited 2012-12-23 12:23:40

I never really saw the appeal in it. I mean yeah, for I dunno, $50-80, I get this figure that looks all nice and detailed and...that's it.

I can see how one would feel this way for normal figurines and ani-statues, but have you ever heard of Figma? They look good, and they have joints with a pretty good range of movement. Comaparable to... Marvel Legends, as far as American figures go. Plus the cost is below the $50-80 range, generally. I'd own more of these, if only the character selection was more interesting.

That being said, yeah, a lot of figures just aren't all that appealing.