If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Steam Winter Sale 2012

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> Chrono Trigger

Okay, fine, add Castlevania: Symphony of the Night to my list.  And Super Mario RPG.  And Chrono Trigger.

• edited 2012-12-22 12:38:47
    You can change. You can.

Yeah, I'll wait on Dark Souls.

For what is worth, I expect to get a TV relatively soon so not really an issue for me.

As for L.A Noire, I'm iffy about it considering Malk's experience with the game, but hey, it could turn out he was wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time. :P

^He said chrono trigger because it was on the list ya douche :|

Also I already played both that and Super Mario RPG. Never really dug Castlevania (Let's not even start there, folks)

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

L.A. Noire is worth playing.

But it isn't great. There's lots of good, and there's lots of bad.

• I could likely play the Witcher 2 at 720p on my laptop but I do have a fairly high end gpu and a third gen i7 processor. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Basically Juan's gunna Juan so L.A. Noire is probably worth looking into. For all of its flaws, it's still one of relatively few games that tackle investigation and mystery as primary game mechanics. 

Yeah. A truly excellent game to be made in the future will use L.A. Noire as its foundation.

• You can change. You can.

For all of its flaws, it's still one of relatively few games that tackle investigation and mystery as primary game mechanics.

How so? Is it like in Arkham Asylum where you just entered a room, picked up a clue and then ran around in detective mode following a trail? (Actually, that is the most accurate portrayal of Batman's detective skills but you all know my thoughts on Batman as the World's Greatest Detective by now)

Or like in Condemned, where you actually examine things and have to deduce and induce based on what you find in the crime scene.

Also, most importantly, do I get to punch my alcoholism in the face like I did in Condemned 2?

The latter.

Also there's an interrogation mechanic, which would be pretty cool if they hadn't decided to exaggerate the tells to make the game easy, causing all liars to briefly have seizures.

• edited 2012-12-22 13:13:31
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Daily Deals for December 22nd, 2013:

• Bloodbowl Franchise 33-75% off

• Dawn of War Franchise 75% off

• Train Simulator 2013 66% off

• Dungeon Defenders 75% off

• Dead Island 66% off

• Dota 2 50% off

Flash Sales:

• F1 Race Stars 50% off

• Magic: The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 50% off

• Amnesia: The Dark Descent 75% off

• XCOM: Enemy Unknown 33% off

• Counter Strike: GO 50% off

• Unmechanical 75% off

• Universe Sandbox 75% off

• edited 2012-12-22 13:15:06
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Dead Island 66% off

Obligatory warning not to get it.

• You can change. You can.

Ooooh, I've heard good things about Amnesia.

• edited 2012-12-22 13:18:58
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Alex, I really think you ought to play Digital. Analogue takes place in the future of that game, and deals with very similar themes in a very different way.

Also by the same woman, "Don't Take It Personally Babe, This Just Ain't Your Story", is very good, but quite different from the other two, because you play as a new teacher that has the ability to snoop on the Facebook posts of students and use that knowledge to help or hurt them, but it's still really good. A small group of people hate it just for being so different from the rest of the creator's work.

In fact, I'm going to go play all three of these games again.

^^It's excellent.

I can't play it for more than like five minutes at a time, but it's excellent.

The Walking Dead is still the best Steam game, though.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Dungeon Defenders 75% off

That's also a fairly decent game, so long as you have some friends to play it with.

• The Dawn of War complete pack is a complete steal at $10. 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^This. That's over 200 hours of awesome content for $10, and that's not counting multiplayer.

Well, except Soulstorm. Soulstorm sucks.

I already have a bunch of DoW stuff I need to get around to :/

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

^ This.

• @Crimson:

Except for the SPESS MEHREENS and METAL BAWKSES part, natch. Those are just hysterical. :P

I like Dead Island from what I've played of it but in retrospect I think Dead Pixels is a better zombie game for the buck.

If only the Kenshiro hack for Dead Island worked in multiplayer.

Anyway, the best game on my list is The Walking Dead, FWIW.

I have to disagree with this, if only on the basis of pedantry. 

So I've just played a fair bit of the first chapter and so far it's been an excellent character story framed by video game software... but not much of a game in its own right. In a lot of ways, it owes more to visual novels than the system-based problem solving that characterises most conventional games. So as well as it tells its story (at least so far) and as great as the characters are, I think considering it a better "game" on those grounds is missing a fundamental aspect of the gaming medium. 

I would certainly recommend The Walking Dead as a narrative and media experience, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't recommend it as a game, because its problem-solving is entirely narrative rather than systematic or really logic-based. It's kind of like Heavy Rain with a lot of the kinks worked out and sapped of all pretension, but by that token, it doesn't lend itself to a deep experience of "play" so much as it invites you to participate in a film. 

There's little doubt that The Walking Dead is going to be an important milestone moving forward when it comes to expressing a story through a video game engine, but it ultimately fails to make that story an organic result of play. The game with the writing quality and characterisation of The Walking Dead and with the gameplay depth and freedom of Dark Souls is going to blow this industry away. 

How far are you in Chapter 1? If I'm remembering right, it has a really cool stealth-action segment.

It does and I've done it. And it was certainly cool. But it was also heavily railroaded, with scripted outcomes for, well, everything. 

True.

So are a lot of game-games, though.

I'll agree that it isn't a game you play for the gameplay, but it's enough of a game that it is a game.

The greatest success and the greatest failure of The Walking Dead is that I'm not making decisions based on the  information the game systems give me, but how I think things ought to go, or how they might best work out. On the bright side, this is highly organic in the sense that I make decisions based on very natural information. Conversely, though, it also means that I'm not partaking of a system of play where a variety of emergent options are available through the interaction of different systems.

Even a heavily railroaded game-game gives me freedom of movement and position, and has a system for resolving combat and the like. In the game-game version of The Walking Dead, I don't have context-sensitive points of interaction that are constructed of linked cut scenes -- I have a consistent system for interacting with the environment and entities within it. 

• I feel it has more to do with Sierra point-n-click games than visual novels in terms of the type of interactivity.

Less pixel hunting and more decision-making than Sierra games, though. :V

I say visual novel because of the emphasis on characterisation, plus the visual emphasis on the characters themselves. 

• edited 2012-12-22 19:23:05
    My arms are falling off!

I already have most of the games I want. (Exceptions for Fairy Bloom Freesia and Dark Souls; the former because the Steam version uses Steamworks, the latter because it costs a non-trivial amount of money.)

I'm mostly just using the sales to gift my friends games. :3

• CHIVALRY CHIVALRY CHIVALRY

HOPY FCUK WHY ISN'T CHIVALRY MORE DISCOUNTED YET

NEED TO MASH SCREAM KEY AND STAB THINGS

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> recommendations against Dead Island

Is it better than Dead Meets Lead?

> Amnesia

I know a lot of people have praised it, but I saw a bunch of it and it felt either hilarity-inducing or very forced.

I say visual novel because of the emphasis on characterisation, plus the visual emphasis on the characters themselves. 

Well, to me, the difference between the media is the presence or absence of gameplay. TWD's gameplay may not be why the game is good, but it's there.

Is it better than Dead Meets Lead?

I don't know much about DML, but I doubt it.