If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

the 2012 United States elections thread

Comments

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I thought she was french.

• a little muffled

She actually went by Marie Skłodowska-Curie in her personal life; I'd hazard a guess that the French media are largely responsible for her being known by her married name exclusively.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I prefer "Fryderyk Chopin" over "Frédéric Chopin".  In part because it's easier to type.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-13 00:57:54

^^

é = Alt+130

Yes I only know this because I assisted in cleaning up the Pokémon trope pages when the parser started fucking up that character.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

If "Red America" is dying, all I can say is good riddance.

I think most of the decent Republicans have since become mixed-voting Democrats or Libertarians anyway. Social Conservatism is not wanted or needed in modern America, and I am not sad to see it die.

• You can change. You can.

I found ´ + e to be more useful :3

• That only works on your silly Spanish keyboards.

• You can change. You can.

that's the joke yes

• I'm a damn twisted person

> Implying Libertarians are any better than Republicans

• edited 2012-11-13 01:07:31
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

> Implying Libertarians are any better than Republicans

I'm not going to lie, Libertarianism is a pretty naive philosophy as far as I can tell, but it drops the social conservative aspect most of the time, which is my main problem with the Republican party anyway.

Don't get me wrong, though, Libertarian economic policy is....weird.

• edited 2012-11-13 01:10:01
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Implying Libertarians are any better than Republicans

Well, here's the thing...how to put this mildly...the Libertarian party is not evil.

Say what you will about Libertarians competence-wise, but being better than the Republican party, at this point, is not very difficult.

• edited 2012-11-13 01:11:06
    I'm a damn twisted person

Libertarian policy in general can be boiled down to "Fuck you, I got mine".

Clockwork Universe - fine not evil. Just completely uninterested in actually improving the lives of anybody except rich folks who stand to benefit from looser regulation. 

• edited 2012-11-13 01:11:38

Yeah :/

Still better than "fuck you, I got mine. Burn the heathens!"

Well actually lets revise that. Republican/Libertarian policy can have the addendum of "Fuck you, I want mine" from poor folks who support those parties. 

• edited 2012-11-13 01:15:52
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I think most Libertarians are either naive people who genuinely think that less regulation=more money for everyone! or folks who are just desperate to get rid of the two party system.

And on that note, I think sometime in the future--maybe not soon soon, but within our lifetimes, certainly--we'll start to see a shift where it's less Republicans & Democrats and more Libertarians and Democrats.

Do Libertarians have a party color and animal? I don't remember.

• edited 2012-11-13 01:18:10

maybe not soon soon, but within our lifetimes, certainly

I think it'll be within 8-16 years.

The Republican party is putting a lot of effort into disemboweling itself.

• edited 2012-11-13 01:21:04
    I'm a damn twisted person

And on that note, I think sometime in the future--maybe not soon soon, but within our lifetimes, certainly--we'll start to see a shift where it's less Republicans & Democrats and more Libertarians and Democrats.

I sincerely doubt that. The popular vote split was about 51%/49% split. There are plenty of people out there who buy the Republican party line. 

CU - and for all that effort they spent into disembowling themselves, they still nearly swung half the popular vote.  Republicans don't vote because they like their candidate  but because they think the other guy is worse. Granted, that's the rationale for a lot of Democratic voters too. 

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I think 8-16 is also rather likely, with the stipulation that if they get their shit together they could probably hold on for another decade or two on tradition alone. But they're going to fall apart soon, I think.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-13 01:21:46

Meh.  If you want conservatism to look good in any way, at least bother rooting it in reality and don't dictate your particular branch of your particular religion as policy.  Pick a candidate who isn't a flagrant corporate shill who says whatever he thinks his side wants to hear regardless of facts and is on video record repeatedly contradicting himself to appeal to his audience at any given moment.  Back up his party with people who aren't completely fucking insane.  Pick a VP who isn't endorsing AYN GODDAMN RAND has his role model and whose proposed policies have been repeatedly denounced by his own church denomination as "failing a basic moral test".

Like, Obama did not start out on good footing here -- not as automatic shutout bad as Republicans did post-Dubya, but still pretty bad.  Republicans would've had this in the bag if they'd picked a candidate with a head on his shoulders and who was willing to tax the rich and start regulating business -- but no, we had to narrow our primary down to four of the most odious people the legislature has ever seen, and then pick one who proceeded to piss off almost the entire fucking world in the opening weeks of his campaign, then directly insult almost half the population as worthless trash and try to suppress voters.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

There are plenty of people out there who buy the Republican party line. 

And a lot of them are really, really old.

And medicine continues to prolong lifespans. And Republicans tend to have more children on average. 

Bear in mind that the Republican party pretty much wants to kick out the fastest-growing demographic in the US, so they're not getting any votes from them.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-13 01:26:58

And we're endorsing policies that fuck over anyone newly entering the labor force.  So we're directly alienating young people regardless of moral creed.

God dammit I want my party back.  Fuck you Nixon for picking up the deep south.  There's a reason the Democrats didn't want them.

Fuck you Nixon for picking up the deep south.  There's a reason the Democrats didn't want them.

Now, hey, speaking as someone from the deep south...

Help! Get me out of here!

I dunno, that's the beauty of the Republican media machine. Anything that screws people over can be traced back to liberals and their parasite supporting policies that rob hard working folks of their money. 

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-13 01:47:20

I'm aware.  Hell, my dad didn't believe me when I told him that our whole family would technically qualify as part of the 47% not paying income tax.  Despite...regularly getting tax refunds.

He also didn't believe me when I told him the EITC that's the main factor in giving us said tax refunds was enacted by Ford and expanded by Reagan, both Republicans.  Despite showing him the goddamn bill.  And that Eisenhower supported Social Security and implemented the biggest expansion the program's ever seen.

This is the kind of fanatical delusion the party has turned into.  Someone who'll demonize anyone taking tax breaks as lazy fucks, then blame the existence of said tax breaks on Democrats when this is trivially shown to be factually false.  And then take the same tax breaks because since he's a hardworking guy who regularly pulls 60 hour weeks it's okay, but anyone else taking it must be a layabout and can't possibly be in the exact same situation.  He's not a sociopath, mind -- this is the kind of guy who pulls a terrifying amount of unpaid overtime at a hospital -- but he is for lack of a better word brainwashed and paranoid.

• edited 2012-11-13 03:49:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I want my party back.  Fuck you Nixon for picking up the deep south.  There's a reason the Democrats didn't want them.

Holy shit, this quote.

I'm not a Republican but the force of this quote is clear as day.

• I want my party back.  Fuck you Nixon for picking up the deep south.  There's a reason the Democrats didn't want them.

Related: fuck the Southern Strategy forever.