If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny (Diary)

edited 2012-11-09 22:06:24 in Liveblogging
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I have returned to Britannia.

So, I was in bed when suddenly a glowing blue Codex symbol appeared over me. From it dropped a coin with the symbol engraved on it.

I rushed over to the case I keep my Ankh amulet in, grabbed it, and headed back to the stone circles, where the Ankh and Coin were able to open a moon gate. Of course, I stepped through.

I arrived in Brittania, but my joy was tempered by a general feeling that something was horribly wrong.

Shamino quickly darted up to me, excited to see me again, but said that someone named Lord Blackthorn would likely have noticed the summoning and we had to leave.

Then he shouted "Shadowlords!" and I turned to see three...well, basically Ringwraiths, appearance-wise. The leader (or at least, the one in front) cast some sort of spell to shoot Shamino in the chest with a magical arrow.

Fortunately, the Coin started to glow blue at this point, and the Shadowlords appeared to be frightened off by it.

Shamino told me that we had to get to Iolo's house for help. He wasn't able to walk on his own, but with my support he was able to get us to a hut hidden in the woods.

Iolo helped fix Shamino up a bit, at least enough that he wouldn't bleed out, and explained the current events to me.

Shortly after I returned to Earth, Lord British called a meeting of his Great Council (some lawmaking body, I think?).

First off, the Council sealed all of the dungeons in order to keep all the monsters inside. Good call. Apparently a few get out occasionally, but they're rarely seen during the day.

Next, they raised the Codex from the Abyss. Unfortunately, this disrupted something underground. Lava flowed up, so now the Isle of the Abyss is a massive volcano, and now there's an immense underworld under the entirety of the continent.

Lord British decided to lead an expedition into the Underworld, but only one of his party managed to return. In his absence, a man named Blackthorn took the throne as a regent. Apparently he was doing okay, but then around the time the Shadowlords appeared, he became an oppressive dictator -- apparently they've done something to corrupt him.

Iolo, Shamino, and some of my other allies have formed a rebellion, and decided to summon me for help.

So, now, we'll get Shamino back into good condition, then head out and start looking for ways to undermine the new regime.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Started off by heading to Britain.

First I went to the weapon shop, but I couldn't really afford anything. However, the owner, Gwenno, was talking to me and mentioned that they sell Iolo-made crossbows. Then she leaned forward and said, "yes, I suppose it is a bit strange that we carry Iolo's bows even though he's an outlaw."

I asked if she wanted to join up with me, and she did. So that's a good start.

I also talked to a few people at the local tavern. The busboy, an expert on glassware, told me a bit of trivia: Malik, in Moonglow, knows who can make glass swords, which are apparently extremely powerful. Good to know. Spent the night in the inn. Next I'll check out the small settlements that seem to have sprung up around Castle British.

Explored the three villages of Brittany.

Nothing really noteworthy. One farm owner from the northern one said she was a warrior "before...", then trailed off. She wouldn't clarify.

Other noteworthy features: a shipwright and healer in East Brittany, and a stable in North Brittany.

Went South to Paws. A man there told me that he fears the Shrine of Spirituality may have been destroyed. Apparently he thought magic gems could help him seek it out somehow, though I don't entirely understand what he meant. Either way, I can't afford them at all right now.

Just arrived in Trinsic. The new roads make travel much easier.

From a sign at the entrance:

BLACKTHORN'S LAW OF HONOR

IF THOU DOST LOSE THINE OWN HONOR, THOU SHALT TAKE THINE OWN LIFE.

Um, look, dude, I like honor as much as anyone, but that's a bit overboard.

Trinsic didn't seem to have all that much I could work with right now, so I headed North to Yew.

BLACKTHORN'S LAW OF JUSTICE

THOU SHALT CONFESS THY CRIMES AND SUFFER JUST PUNISHMENT, OR THOU SHALT BE PUT TO DEATH.

This...this is insane.

Okay, stepped inside, and found a poster:

Wanted:

• Sam

• Shamino

• Iolo

Dead or Alive

Oh, dear.

A guard demanded 40 gold in tribute from me. After all, you have to be charitable.

Quickly found the local stocks. Currently, they're occupied by a father and his son. The father only donated 40% of his income to charity, and the son dishonestly failed to turn him in.

What the fuck, Blackthorn?

Naturally, I let both of them out.

Yew is also home to the head of the Inquisition, who enforces all this bullshit.

He's going to learn the meaning of Justice, but it's probably too early for that right now.

After that, I headed to Empath Abbey, where a bard named Toshi joined me. He was here studying Love, and after I demonstrated an interest in the subject, he decided to come along.

Shortly after meeting Toshi, I was fortunate enough to happen upon Julia! It seems she too had been staying at the Abbey.

Needless to say, she joined us.

Afterwords, I met the lord of the castle, who told me that the three castles of the principles were the only places the Shadowlords wouldn't desecrate.

He also told me that I could learn about one of the Shadowlords, the Lord of Hatred, from a daemon in the eastern desert.

Okay, so it seems the Shadowlords are dedicated to the antitheses of the principles, so I guess that would be Hate, Fear and Lies.

Traveled to Minoc. On the way, we set up camp and were visited by a regal spirit that reminded me to keep to the virtues. I...was already planning to, but thanks for that, spirit.

BLACKTHORN'S LAW OF SACRIFICE

THOU SHALT DONATE HALF THY INCOME TO CHARITY OR THOU SHALT HAVE NO INCOME

I can't help but notice that it doesn't mention being beaten or confined to stocks.

The Smith in Minoc told me that Blackthorn had been very beneficial and asked if I agreed. When I said "yes," he said to ask the Judge in Yew of the Oppression, and say that Tactus sent me. I'm...not 100% on that suggestion.

So, we got ambushed by some Headless and Ettins, which killed Shamino. We managed to have him resurrected. Would have had some gold to spare, too, except that a guard told me that it was time for me to follow the Law of Sacrifice, so I lost half of my gold.

I kind of hate Blackthorn.

Took the Moongate to Moonglow. When I entered the town at first, I felt this really weird feeling. Same one I felt before the Shadowlords attacked. So I left, camped out for a bit, then returned.

BLACKTHORN'S LAW OF HONESTY

THOU SHALT NOT LIE, OR THOU SHALT LOSE THY TONGUE.

Need to find Malik.

Met a fortune teller, who seems strangely familiar. I asked her a few questions, and was pretty impressed: she told me that Blackthorn can be found on an isle of three volcanoes, to the south, in the great sea (isle of the Abyss again?)

Also, a local noble told me that the man in the tower at the center of town sows seeds of dissent and that I should avoid him. I think I'll be doing just the opposite.

Couldn't find Malik. I'll check back after making a stop at the Lycaeum.

Great news: I ran into Mariah in the Lycaeum. She's recovering from a Shadowlord attack, but wants to join us. Iolo, though, says that he wants to keep our active group size to 6. Six wanted outlaws already attract too much attention.

Returned to Moonglow at night and visited the tower. Turns out the guy there is an astronomer, hence why he sleeps during the day. He told me something about three comets that likely represent the Shadowlords. I tried to tell him I was the Avatar and ask about the Resistance, but he wouldn't believe me without a password.

Okay, it's probably a good thing in the grand scheme of things that I'm not recognized on sight, since I wanted to be a role model rather than a religious figure and because it makes sneaking around doing rebellion stuff easier.

But on the other hand, it would be really nice if I could just go up to people and go "I'm the Avatar; you can trust me."

Oh, well. I guess I'll just need to find out the password.

After that, I gated to Yew. Traded a bit with the blacksmith, but didn't go see the judge. Maybe later if I decide he's okay, but for now...too obvious a trap.

Afterwards, I headed to Britain, checked Toshi into the inn and bought myself a skiff. This will come in handy.

• edited 2012-11-12 14:45:24

In rowing southward from Britannia, I met a lighthouse keeper, the royal composer. He showed me how to play the Britannian Harpsichord. I used to play piano, but Britannian harpsichords seem to have a different setup, making them slightly unfamiliar to me. He showed me how to play the piece "Stones," one of the better-known songs in Britannia, which, according to the book I learned it from, was composed by Iolo. Damn, Iolo's quite an artist. First crossbows, now this. The first bit of the piece, in Britannian notation, goes:

678 987 8767653

I also met the royal coinmaker, now a wanted man after making a magical coin the current regime disapproved of, meant to summon the Avatar. I showed him the coin, told him I was the Avatar, and thanked him.

I also met the composer's mother, a lighthouse-keeper who was favorable to the current regime. She asked if I agreed with Blackthorn's laws. Since I didn't intend to stick around any longer, I answered honestly and she kicked me out. Oh, well.

Later on, I ran into an island containing nothing but a signpost: "This is the island of Sherlock the Strange."

Um...okay?

Reached Skara Brae.

BLACKTHORN'S LAW OF SPIRITUALITY

THOU SHALT ENFORCE THE LAWS OF VIRTUE, OR THOU SHALT DIE AS A HERETIC

Lovely fellow, that Blackthorn.

Seriously, that's bullshit. It doesn't even have anything to do with Spirituality, which I always felt was more about self-understanding and less about...well...enforcing the law. Seriously, how do you screw that up?

Met a little kid hiding in the woods of the island because his father, Greymarch, spoke out against Blackthorn and was dragged away.

This is just fucked up. I am going to Yew and I am raiding the shit out of that jail.

Broke into the jail and unlocked all the cells. Met a man who was incarcerated for believing that Lord British was alive. So I guess Blackthorn isn't even pretending to be a legitimate ruler.

Also met Greymarch. I told him where to go to find his son. In return, he gave me what advice he could: Lord British apparently left a powerful scepter behind when he went to the Underwold. Sir Simon, in a mountain keep on an isle west of Spiritwood, can tell me more, it seems.

Looking at my map, I don't think my little skiff can make it there. I'll need a bigger ship.

Also met the wizard Felespar, formerly of the Great Council, now a prisoner, who helped seal the dungeons.

And, of course, on the way out of town, a guard robbed me collected a charitable donation from me.

Continuing around the coast, I arrived at the Shrine of Justice. As I meditated there with the mantra BEH, the altar spoke a quest:

'Tis now thy sacred Quest to go unto the Codex and learn the weakness of the unjust! Return again when thy quest is done!

I'll do that...if I can find the Codex. Is it still on the Isle of the Abyss? I guess I'll try that, once I get a ship that can get there.

Arrived in Minoc again. A beggar I'd given some gold last time told me that Shenstone, the Armorer, has been sneaking around town every day around noon. I happen to remember that he's a loyalist. This bears investigation.

Okay, while waiting for noon, I went into the back room of Minoc's shipwright. Turns out, there are two indentured servants sewing sails, one of them but a child. I talked to them for a bit, and when I assured them that their conditions were unjust and that I was working to bring them to an end, they advised me that the guard who collects the "sacrifice tax" is off-duty around lunch, and thus can be avoided then.

So I waited for Shenstone to leave work, and followed him. I witnessed him placing several strange keys in a hollow in a tree. Not the normal magic keys we use to pick locks -- some other kind.

I do remember that the building at the center of Skara Brae had strange locks that we couldn't pick. I'll check that out next time we're there.

Swinging around the eastern part of the continent, I returned to the Lycaeum and picked up Mariah. Good to have her back.

I also found a hut in the Eastern desert with a Daemon living in it. It apparently served Astaroth, the Shadowlord of Hatred, until it met Lord British, who taught it the virtues. Remind me to high-five that guy after I rescue him.

Anyway, very important note: Do not say "Astaroth" out loud. Doing so will summon it.

Arrived back in Britain. Decided to try sneaking into the castle. It went surprisingly well.

I managed to find the treasury, which I looted thoroughly -- not something I'd normally do, but I figure Lord British would not be okay with Blackthorn having all his stuff.

Also managed to unlock all the cells in the prisoner, but the one prisoner in there attacked me. It seems he was actually legitimately in there. Whoops. Well...he's dead now. I...don't feel particularly heroic about that part.

Afterwards, I managed to break into Lord British's private quarters. I couldn't really find much initially, but there was a harpsichord in it, so I took the opportunity to practice. When I did so, a secret door opened. Behind it was a strange sandalwood box. I'll just hold onto it. It must be important, and I wouldn't want Blackthorn to find it.

Also, some of the doors in the castle had those weird magic locks on them, so I'm out of the special keys now. I'll have to get more.

Afterwards, I found a Great Council member hiding out in Britain. It seems Blackthorn is after all of them. He was able to tell me that with the word of power VILIS, I can open Despise. He also said that the young sailmaker in Minoc is the daughter of another Great Council member. If I ask her about her mother, she may be able to tell me something.

• edited 2012-11-13 14:36:50

Traveled to Serpent's Hold.

Held prisoner there was the builder of Blackthorn's castle, which apparently lies on the isle of three volcanoes.

I remember seeing three volcanoes where I found the Skull of Mondain. I guess they've formed an island now.

He warned me that there were lots of trapdoors in the castle that I'd have to avoid. Good to know.

Afterwards, I spoke to the keeper of the Flame of Courage. He told me that he'd seen a vision of the Shard of Cowardice, which sounds like it might be connected to the Shadowlords. Apparently, to reach it, I'll need to descend to the bottom of the dungeon on the Isle of the Avatar (um...I may have been premature in my assumption that I wasn't supposed to be a religious figure), then from there access the underworld. Afterwards I'll have to teleport through various walls with magic, and from there I can find the shard at what would be the overworld coordinates L'A", L'I".

Afterwards, a waitress here was able to sell me five more skull keys -- some mage paid for his food with them because he was out of money. Excellent.

And even better, the lord of the castle was able to tell me the name of the Shadowlord of Cowardice: Nosfentor.

On my way to Skara Brae, I passed the shrine of Honor. Meditating there with the mantra "SUMM," I received another quest:

'Tis now thy sacred Quest to go unto the Codex and learn the darkness of Dishonor! Return again when thy quest is done!

I really need to get that ship.