If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Samulina's Warband Journal

edited 2012-11-10 23:03:02 in Liveblogging
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I am Samulina D'amour. The daughter of a travelling merchant; I was apprenticed to a builder as a young child, and sent to university as a teenager. My father had hoped that I would follow in his footsteps as a travelling merchant later in life.

Recently, my father's caravan was attacked by a group of bandits. My father was not spared; his caravan was looted, his guards were killed, and he himself was killed when he attempted to flee.

Currently, I am in the city of Praven. I am not quite sure of what to do with my life yet, now that my tenure at the university is over and my prospects as a merchant are dead.

I will leave this journal behind, in case anyone wishes to read through it and see how my life developed.

Current character stats and skills:

Strength: 6
Agility: 6
Intellect:  12
Charisma: 10

Ironflesh: 1
Weapon Master: 1
Riding: 2
Looting: 2
Trainer: 2
Tactics: 2
Inventory Management: 1
Wound Treatment: 1
Surgery: 4
Engineer: 1
Persuasion: 2
Prisoner Management: 1
Leadership: 3
Trade: 3

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

While I was staying in Praven, I was attacked by a bandit.

I quickly disposed of the bandit using my crossbow. A local merchant approached me soon after.

He told me of his brother, who was kidnapped by bandits, and asked me to help save his brother. I accepted, and he warned me that I would likely need at least five men following me to be successful.

Considering his words, I headed to Uxkhal, which was nearly a full day's journey, and attempted to recruit followers.

Only one woman was willing to follow me; a woman Deshavi. She told me of her life, as first a beaten wife, and then the victim of a bandit crew.

She seems to hate men very much. I am unsure of her attitude of this stage, but I am willing to tolerate her at this time.

I soon left for Yaragar, and attempted to recruit followers there. Two men agreed to follow me, but did not tell me their names. I asked the elders of Yaragar if they needed any help, and they asked me if I could train their troops to help fight off a force of bandits.

However, before I could successfully train up five villagers to form a militia, the village was raided- and not even by the bandits I was attempting to defend it from; it was raided by a force of Rhodoks, led by one of their Counts.

Discouraged, I headed to Veidar, where I found bandits raiding another village.

I attempted to help them. This time, I was more successful in my attempt. One of my recruits was wounded, and two of the villagers were killed, but we successfully fought off the bandits.

The villagers attempted to hand me supplies in payment, but I did not accept it. With all their wounded, they would need it more than I.

I am quickly coming to despise bandits.

I headed back down to Iyindah, where I recruited two more followers.

Now that I have four men, I will attempt to help this merchant in Praven once more.

Looters seem to be everywhere in this country, however. I have encountered several of them already.

I talked to the Merchant of Praven. He told me to be on the lookout for a band of Robbers.

Lo and behold, just an hour's ride from Praven, I found a band of Robbers. I successfully subdued them without casualties, and they agreed to tell me where to find the bandit's hideout.

The bandit's hideout had many more people than I was expecting. With a simple six soldiers, I was afraid of failure.

We successfully subdued the robbers, however, and rescued the Merchant's Brother. Returning him to the Merchant, we were paid 100 denars.

The Merchant then offered me further work; the captain of the guard of Praven was corrupt, and was allowing bandits to prey on people so long as they paid him.

I led several of the townsfolk in a rebellion against him. We were successful, and the Merchant dragged him off before the King, but King Harlaus was not pleased.

It would probably be well-advised for me to spend some weeks away from Praven. I will head to Dhirim and see what I can do there.

On the way, I encountered several groups of enemies.

My force is growing stronger. They are growing more disciplined, and listening to me more.

Once at Dhirim, I encountered a woman known as Ymira. Ymira is a good woman, but she seems to be much more a camp follower than a soldier. I will keep this in mind as I continue.

I am feeling distinctly uncomfortable in Swadia, so I will head to the kingdom of the Nords.

Once in the kingdom of the Nords, Jarl Logarson asked me to collect a debt of 3,000 denars Jarl Aedin owes to him. He promised me 20% of these denars if I obtained them. Thus, I will seek out Jarl Aedin.

I also met King Ragnar of the Nords. I asked him if he had any tasks for me, and he asked me to hunt down Murland of Curaw.

Nord recruits also make an excellent addition to my crew.

It has been a week since I have begun forming my Warband.

I find being a mercenary to be quite to my liking.

(Cost of this week: 100 denars.)

Spoiler:
    Leveled up once. I increased Intelligence, where I sunk the skill points into Persuasion and Prisoner Management.

Leveled up again, bringing me to Level 3. Increased Intelligence again, putting the skill points to Trainer and Persuasion.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I located Murland of Curaw. He was hiding at Ambean.

I successfully slew him, but the townsfolk are wary of me now. I suspect I will not be doing further tasks like this for lords.

I also fought in a tournament at Wercheg. Betting on myself every round, I proceeded to win the tournament, earning a prize pool of 200 denars, and 3980 denars from my bets.

Spoiler:
    Advanced to Level 4, and increased Intellect. Sunk the skill points into Surgery (Bringing me to 5 Surgery) and Persuasion.

Went up yet another level, to Level 5. Increased Charisma, and sunk the skill point into Tactics.

Went up another level, to Level 6. Increased Charisma, and sunk the skill into Leadership.

Aaand that's enough for today, I think.