If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM D&D game! (discussion)

edited 2012-11-09 23:34:19 in Roleplaying
yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Um.....

well this is pretty self-explanatory, honestly. I was just wondering if anyone here would be interested in a D&D game. I really don't have much in the way of preferences here as far as what setting or even what edition goes. I'm most familiar with 3.5 so obviously I'd want that, but meh.

Also I want to be clear I am not volunteering to be the DM unless people for some reason want me to, I'm not great at that sort of thing and am a total noob to D&D anyway (I've played one game which fizzled out after two installments, and that was Pathfinder and I played a ludicrously unorthodox character). 

Basically I just wanted to throw the idea out there. 

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

Hmm. I might play, but I sure as hell am not in a position to DM it. And I'd prefer 4e, unless the 3.5 game involved tristalting, with dual-casting prestige classes being allowed, and templates, or something batshit like that.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I don't know anything about 4e, but I'd be willing to give it a shot if that's consensus. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'd be interested, but...

Well, non-PbP RP's have not had a good history here.

(And if you did get it running, I'd much prefer if it was 3.5e, if only because I have physical reference materials on hand.)

Well, non-PbP RP's have not had a good history here.

This is a problem on a lot of forums, I notice.

I could ask people on Heapers' Hangout and my Skype Friends if any of them are interested. That way there might be at least a fairly sizable group.

Longevity is always a problem. Honestly, I'd just like to have fun and cannot frankly promise my dedication to anything on a strict schedule because of my job. But if we're willing to be lax here I think we can have at least a few people keep it up.

So I think, anyway. I just don't think "it might fail" is a good reason not to try, is all. 

• edited 2012-10-28 21:32:11
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I might be interested if kewl people want to do it and it is a good game.

Call of Cthulu

Maid RPG

Bunnies and Burrows

FATAL

:p

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So I think, anyway. I just don't think "it might fail" is a good reason not to try, is all. 

Many of the people who would be interested have other commitments that would interfere with this, is all. Job schedules, university work, and other unpredictable events cause people to have to reschedule themselves quite often, which interferes with non-PbP RP's, as they require set schedules where everyone shows up, unless you want to run a series of one-shots.

PbP RP's tend to run a lot slower (a lot slower), but would have the advantage of not requiring people to come at X time, instead just asking people to post once a day at minimum.

I think doing it PbP style might work better? I'm not honestly sure.

You probably have more experience in this than I do. I'm under the impression you're kind of a D&D veteran. Correct me if I'm mistaken. 

• edited 2012-10-28 21:36:07
    Has friends besides tanks now

Call of Cthulu

Maid RPG

Bunnies and Burrows

FATAL

wait why is call of cthulhu in there with those other things

PbP would probably work muuuuuuch better. But maybe not with D&D, specifically. I'd like to try a World of Darkness game PbP, though.

• I'd be for it, if I wasn't entering finals time. Also, In order to give the obvious third opinion, I'd prefer Pathfinder to either 3.5 or 4.

• edited 2012-10-28 21:38:35

Well, that's fine if y'all want to do that. I might even be interested, but I specifically wanted to try a D&D game.

No offense.

I'd be for it, if I wasn't entering finals time. Also, In order to give the obvious third opinion, I'd prefer Pathfinder to either 3.5 or 4. 

But Pathfinder basically is 3.5. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

^^ That gives me another idea, if we do D&D: E6. It would solve the issue of balancing, if we went with 3.5 or Pathfinder.

^ None taken.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

because Cthulu, All Nines.

Also, I would prefer Pathfinder.

Can we agree on Pathfinder/3.5 then? Or are there objections?

I am not necessarily a veteran, I have just played several games before, both in real life and not.

Realtime playing and PbP playing both have their advantages and disadvantages. PbP playing is many times slower than realtime playing, often requiring up to a month of play in order to achieve as much as a couple of hours of realtime playing would. However, it requires a set schedule, and if someone can't make it, you have to figure out a reason for why their character is suddenly not there this time- which is especially bad in the middle of a dungeon and such.

On the other hand, PbP playing allows people to put in a lot more detail in their post, and does not require a schedule. On the other other hand, it requires people to remember that it exists, and is slow as all hell.

wait why is call of cthulhu in there with those other things

Because Call of Cthulhu is skeezy as all hell.

What Nova said.

I AM leaning something PbP though. I think this forum would be nice with a couple of em.

• edited 2012-10-28 21:43:32
    If 3.5, I'd prefer tristalt or E6. If Pathfjnder, I'd have to learn the system.

^^ It is? Granted, I never got a chance to play . . .
  • edited 2012-10-28 21:44:33

My only problem with Pathfinder is that it's a nightmare for a person like me to actually make a playable character, because there are so many cool options that you end up wanting to fit them all on one character. Tala Glaye, my previous Pathfinder character was a Changeling (Half-Hag, no relation to Eberron Changelings) Summoner (highly specialized Sorcerer derivative, essentially) whose Eidolon ('mon) was a golem thingie.

Awesome, yes (IMO). But near impossible to play as. 

I am not necessarily a veteran, I have just played several games before, both in real life and not.

That makes you a veteran in my book. |:|

Realtime playing and PbP playing both have their advantages and disadvantages. PbP playing is many times slower than realtime playing, often requiring up to a month of play in order to achieve as much as a couple of hours of realtime playing would. However, it requires a set schedule, and if someone can't make it, you have to figure out a reason for why their character is suddenly not there this time- which is especially bad in the middle of a dungeon and such.

The way I see it, we either do PbP and just accept the slow, or we come up with some kind of story justification that works for someone not being there every time. The latter would be difficult, but if y'all can do it, go ahead.

Also as a note, daltar has expressed an interest. I don't know how familiar any of you are with her. 

Wait. Laz, you're talking to daltar?

I'm very familiar with her.

It is? Granted, I never got a chance to play . . .

I can't remember where I've seen it, but look through Something Awful's archives one day. One of their tabletop game threads talks about the really skeezy TRPG's, and Call of Cthulhu is mentioned many times for having really, really skeezy missions included with it, including one particularly memorable one where girls are mind-controlled into being prostitutes, and freeing them results in failing the mission- and "winning" the mission results in the GM being encouraged to either get you kicked out of the in-game group you're in or killing you (again, in-game).

If 3.5, I'd prefer tristalt or E6. If Pathfjnder, I'd have to learn the system.

I really would not like tristalt. It gets very complicated, very fast.

E6 I'm more iffy about, but I think that I would prefer playing Pathfinder to E6.

Wait. Laz, you're talking to daltar?

Umyea. We're good friends. 

I'd also ask Lockon-Lockon, but he's busy with college. I plan on asking Hydrall too whenever I can next get ahold of him, and might also ask my friend Pick (who none of you know, afaik). 

Just as a warning, if you go PbP, the more people involved, the longer it will take to get anything done in-game.

I personally think that 4 is a good limit, myself.

• I can't remember where I've seen it, but look through Something Awful's archives one day. One of their tabletop game threads talks about the really skeezy TRPG's, and Call of Cthulhu is mentioned many times for having really, really skeezy missions included with it, including one particularly memorable one where girls are mind-controlled into being prostitutes, and freeing them results in failing the mission- and "winning" the mission results in the GM being encouraged to either get you kicked out of the in-game group you're in or killing you (again, in-game).

I think you might be thinking of Cthulhutech.

• edited 2012-10-28 21:55:25
    Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

Umyea. We're good friends.

Cool. So are we. Talking to her right now. We've Skype RP'd plenty of times.

^^4 people for a PbP? That's horrible low. 7-12 is the best number there.

think you might be thinking of Cthulhutech.

... Maybe.

... I wish I could find the link again, but I was linked way back in March or April.

Just as a warning, if you go PbP, the more people involved, the longer it will take to get anything done in-game.

Well balls, because I did this. Although no one's actually expressed interest there yet and it's possible no one will.

Sorry guys :s 

For tabletop, I'd say 5-6 is best.

PBP could be anything from 4-15

• edited 2012-10-28 22:05:58

but look through Something Awful's archives one day.

Wait, the actual archives? I don't even have the account upgrade to look through their archives. It's tempting, though, more so than a Platinum account.

Call of Cthulhu is mentioned many times for having really, really skeezy missions included with it, including one particularly memorable one where girls are mind-controlled into being prostitutes, and freeing them results in failing the mission- and "winning" the mission results in the GM being encouraged to either get you kicked out of the in-game group you're in or killing you (again, in-game).

Eww. I hadn't noticed that in the PHB or anything. With that said, I don't remember any skeevy things inherent to the system, so presumably it would be fine if the GM made their own missions.

That's really restrictive. I'd go for 6-8, for PbP, or a hard 6 cap for IRC.

What's really the big difference between Pathfinder and 3.5? I've heard Pathfinder is still almost as horribly imbalanced as 3.5 is, and in my little experience with it, I didn't notice any major changes, except for maybe the Sorcerer's Bloodlines thing, which is admittedly a neat idea.

We should play the Pokemon tabletop. I have it downloaded and it's...pretty good.

• edited 2012-10-28 22:07:23

There was a PTA game here way back when, actually. In hindsight, I have my fair share of problems with the system, but it's certainly not bad. I wouldn't play it, now, if it was too similar to the last version I played, though.

So are we agreeing on Pathfinder as the system and PbP as the....other system?