If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Finesse Playtest: Combat

edited 2012-10-03 23:38:40 in Roleplaying
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So, for those not already aware of this, I'm playtesting a TRPG I'm working on. At the moment, all I have is the basic combat system, so I'm just starting off with some one-on-one duels.

Up first are Nova and All Nines.

Since this is the first fight, I'll try to keep my commenting to a minimum since half the point is to see how well people who didn't write the rules understand them.

Comments

• edited 2012-10-03 23:53:15
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Okay, well.

2d10+16

• edited 2012-10-03 23:49:38

Um.

I'm no expert, but I don't think the plugin is installed yet >.>

• The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

It is, it's just not working right apparently.

2d10+16

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Huh. :/

I has a game console.
    (Rolled: 2d10+16. Rolls: 8, 6. Total: 30)

Excellent.

So...what do you type to make it work? >.>

2d10+16 just like Nova did, but I think I might tweak it so the editor doesn't eat it.

Ah, okay.

Trying again with some new syntax:

(Rolled: [roll]2d10+16[/roll]. Rolls: . Total: 16) 

Right, the syntax in that post works with the editor now.  I'll just clean it up so it doesn't show the tags.

It doesn't look like it actually rolled the dice. It just took the 16.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

(Rolled: [roll]2d10+16[/roll]. Rolls: . Total: 16)

• edited 2012-10-04 00:13:53
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

(Rolled: 2d10+16. Rolls: 10, 1. Total: 27)

Apparently, stripping the tags was important. Also, lol post editing generating the below message

POTENTIAL CHEATING DETECTED. If it appears that dice were rolled in this post, they may need to be disregarded as fabricated.

Ooh, like the cheating detection.

Though given that the edited tag is already there, I'm not sure how likely it is to be needed.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

(Rolled: 2d10+16. Rolls: 2, 1. Total: 19)

Okay, rolled my pathetic, pathetic roll. Waiting on Allnines now.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, hey. Sorry, reading some E/N Bullshit.

(Rolled: 2d10+8. Rolls: 10, 5. Total: 23)

I don't think you have the modifier there right; It looks like you just added your Agility, instead of Agility+Perception.

I mean, you won either way; just though I'd mention it.

So, go ahead and take your action(s), then.

• edited 2012-10-04 01:11:48
    Has friends besides tanks now

Okay. So I guess I'll make my first attack roll now (not accounting for whatever modifiers/penalties I may have against Nova; just my own Agility penalty).

(Rolled: 2d10+8. Rolls: 6, 6. Total: 20)

^ Oh, yeah, I forgot that Perception is its own skill. So I would have had 30, but it doesn't make a difference.

I should probably get to sleep, though, I have an 8:15 class and I've had enough trouble getting out of bed when I get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

POTENTIAL CHEATING DETECTED. If it appears that dice were rolled in this post, they may need to be disregarded as fabricated.

Just to make sure everyone's on the same page, you should probably specify your weapon/skill.

• edited 2012-10-04 01:14:37

Sure thing. I'm using a Warhammer, so the damage ratio is NNN.

• edited 2012-10-04 01:15:17
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

That's a total roll of 22 for All Nines; 2d10 (6+6 = 12) + 8 Agility + 2 Two Handed (due to having a Warhammer listed on his character sheet). Yes?

Anyway, I roll to Dodge, which is...

(Rolled: 2d10+9+4. Rolls: 1, 7. Total: 17)

As my Agility is 9 and my Dodge is 4?

That's a total roll of 22 for All Nines; 2d10 (6+6 = 12) + 8 Agility + 2 Two Handed (due to having a Warhammer listed on his character sheet).

He's wielding it one-handed; historical Warhammers aren't much heavier. It's 8 Agility +5 one-handed -5 armor penalty.

• edited 2012-10-04 01:17:57

I'm using the Warhammer one-handed, though; got a kite shield in the other hand. Agility is 8, and One-handed is 5, but my Full Plate penalty to Agility is -5, since my Endurance is 9, so it works out to +8.

Ninja'd.

Ah. So that leaves him at twenty.

However, a Warhammer is a Mass Weapon, so I get a +2 bonus to Dodge.

Plus the Warhammer's listing states that all Dodge attempts get an extra +1 bonus to Dodge.

So my roll, with the added bonuses, equals twenty?

Or does the +1 bonus for Dodge from the Warhammer mean that I don't get the +2 bonus from Mass Weapons?

• edited 2012-10-04 01:21:33

Anyway, Nova takes 3 damage...

Wait, fuck, I typoed the Warhammer damage ratio in the rules. It says NNN, but should definitely be SSS (if it did normal damage, it would be way overpowered).

So, um, definitely fixing that for the next version :/

Nova takes 3 normal damage. Currently has a -1 to all actions from the wound.

^Wait, right, so that would mean the rolls are equal. So Nova takes no damage. Still need to fix that typo.

Or does the +1 bonus for Dodge from the Warhammer mean that I don't get the +2 bonus from Mass Weapons?

They definitely stack. I should probably specify this.

So... My roll evens out at a 20, then.

Which equals All Nine's 20, so I take no damage? Awesome!

• edited 2012-10-04 01:24:28

It says NNN, but should definitely be SSS (if it did normal damage, it would be way overpowered).

wait what

I mean, you initially forgot to account for the Warhammer's disadvantages against dodging anyway (in fact, it seems that my attack was neutralized, if barely), but how does it make sense for being hit by a hammer to be solely Stamina damage?

Because Stamina damage represents bludgeoning-type attacks.

• edited 2012-10-04 01:27:43

I guess I'll need more elaboration (or is that in the pdf too?), because I'm not seeing it.

At the very least, Stamina isn't the right word to be using. Granted, I don't have much of a way to distinguish between brusing/breaking damage and slashing/hacking damage besides with those terms, and attempting to distinguish two different-but-deadly types of injuries is tough to do with just simple numbers anyway.