If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Survival modes

BeeBee
edited 2012-09-19 22:59:11 in Media

More specifically, dying on wave 59/60 because it spawned a shitload of flying casters that were staggering a constant stream of spells.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

And from what I've seen of the wave 60 boss he's hella easy too  >:(

Comments

• Poot dispenser here

Which game is this?

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-09-20 01:13:01

Chantelise.  One of the games from the Recettear guys.

It has a survival mode that takes you through 60 rooms of previous levels, with a gradual stat scaling that gets pretty vicious by the time the last 10 levels roll around.  Those flying eyeballs can kill you in about 4 hits while you're wearing resist gear.  I'm guessing the Golden Wyvern at the end could demolish me pretty fast, but he's based on a boss that had hilariously easy attack patterns.

It takes about two and a half hours to go through, with a suspicious propensity to repeatedly put you through the Waterway and its goddamn HP sponge giant ghouls that hover over bottomless pits and take forever to kill so...yeah.  Rather annoyed.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Woohoo!  Someone talking about Chantelise!

I played it for about ten minutes.  Couldn't figure out the conrols; they were a bit unintuitive in that short period of time.

How is the game?

• To be or not to be? That is the question.

I think I was too busy with the story mode to bother with the survival mode... The final boss is really, really, hard.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-09-20 13:49:09

Yeah, I remapped the controls to switch jump and attack, and rebound targeting to left Shift.  It felt so, so much more natural.  The game is pretty good once you get used to it.

Which last boss?  There are three of them in a row, and the last one is really easy, if for no other reason than it only hits you in 1-2 HP chunks :P  Getting the Darkness Crystal helps -- it's one of the secret treasures for...one or the other of the Sealed Castle rooms, hell if I remember which.  It's your main godsend for Survival too.

For that matter, Darkness Crystal pretty much trivializes everything in the game that isn't the last few bosses and survival.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-09-20 20:28:36

Got it this time, Gold Horn from the trick kill and everything.

Half an hour quicker than the run that ended on #59 too, probably because I figured out that the ghosts in Waterway are close enough to the ground to be utterly demolished by charged Earth Crystal hits.  Even if they make it off the side to dick around out of melee range, the explosion is just big enough to nail them if you aim it right on the edge.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Chantelise is MUCH easier and much more tolerable to play if you have a gamepad. It is NOT meant to be played with a keyboard.

• It's perfectly fine to play with a keyboard, really.  It just takes a little bit to get used to it.

• edited 2012-09-21 01:30:06
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'll have to revive this thread to ask about the controls when I actually start playing this game for realz.

It's because the controls seemed clunky that I still haven't bought a full version of it.  Even though I've gifted it like three times already.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-09-21 01:48:18

Opening it from Steam gives you an option to run a config app, just like Recettear.  You can rebind pretty much everything, though I only found it necessary to switch attack/jump and move lockon to the other side so I didn't have to reach across other buttons for it.

The main thing is getting used to the depth perception because everything except the bosses is sprites on 3D (which is why the camera doesn't zoom or go up and down much).  It causes some weirdness going after the flying eyes at first.

I happen to find it a completely acceptable corner to cut for the sake of really fast rendering on my shitty laptop, so hey.