If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Savage Worlds Out-of-Character Thread

edited 2012-09-03 05:35:39 in Roleplaying
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The United Planets Federation is being torn apart by civil war.

The United Planets Federation consists of roughly eight dozen planets. The Core Planets, led directly by the founders of the UPF, form the basis of the the Federation, supplying the Frontier worlds with much-needed supplies, such as weapons, armour, food, drinkable water, and plants and animals, to establish themselves on the planets. There are roughly a dozen Core Planets.

The Frontier Planets are loyal to the UPF- for the most part. The UPF provides them with everything they need to really establish themselves on planets, including materials for building, food and water, and farming supplies. The Frontier Planets number about three dozen, and are where most of the UPF's raw, tough recruits come from.

The Outer Planets owe a fledgling loyalty to the UPF, but for the most part, the UPF ignores them, sending them token amounts of food, water and such. The Outer Planets muddle through on their own, learning to live off the lands they live on, fighting off aliens, and generally struggling to survive. There are over four dozen Outer Planets.

The Outer Planets, led by one Fer'au, the Minister of Hariss, recently seceded from the UPF. When the UPF took issue to this, they sent a squad of soldiers over to deal with the problem.

The squad was met with lethal force.

The situation has since degenerated. In an attempt to not look weak, the UPF sent a full battalion of soldiers to Hariss. The soldiers there tried to match forces with the local wildlife, but between Fer'au's forces and the deadly native creatures, the batallion died to a man. Hariss retaliated, commandeering the battalion's ship and using it to launch a surprise attack on the navy, capturing several other vessels and fleeing.

The rebel attacks have gotten worse in recent times, and are eating up valuable resources that would be best used colonizing new planets.

Now, the UPF is turning to hiring squads out, to infiltrate the Outer Planets and cripple Fer'au's war efforts.

This is where you come in.

But really, that is all just so much background fluff, written up at midnight by a tired GM. Not the most auspicious start, I do apologize.

Essentially, each of you players are playing the role of a commander of an elite squad. The details of each character and squad are up to you to decide; you could be loyal soldiers of the Federation, you could be mercenaries looking to make a name for yourselves, you could be Seccessionist defectors looking to aid the Federation for reasons known only to yourselves.

For actual rules...

Well, I would like for people to post interest, first.

Current available slots:

1. Fourteenwings
2. Juan
3. Still available!
Reserved:

Uh... I think that's it. If I missed anything, please tell me, and I'll get it sorted out as soon as possible. 

Character Creation Rules

Your character starts as a Seasoned Wild Card, following all the rules within the rulebook.

In addition, here are these campaign-specific rules:

Your squad can be comprised of a commander (your PC), and either three novice soldiers, or one novice soldier and one seasoned soldier.

You have a combined funds pool of $2500, for which you can buy gear for your characters. You also have access to two pieces of Military gear; you can have up to Battlesuit-grade Powered armour, or you can have up to two very crappy starships.

I will be posting stats below.

For your squadmates, you will be allowed to assign them an extra stat point and skill point if they're a Novice soldier, or two stat points, two skill points and an Edge if they're Seasoned, on top of what is listed.

In addition, you can change what stats and skills each character has- so instead of having a d6 in Notice, yo could have a d6 in Piloting, for example.

Soldier
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d6,
Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d6, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Stealth d4
Charisma: —; Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 5

Experienced Soldier
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8
Vigor d8
Skills: Fighting d8, Notice d8, Shooting d8, Stealth d6
Charisma: —; Pace: 6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 6
Edges: Any two combat Edges.

Starships are listed down below.

Hurricane-class Light Cruiser

Acceleration/Top Speed: 15/40
Toughness: 6
Crew Size/Max Crew Size: 1/3.
Climb -1

Executor-class Light Sabotager

Acceleration/Top Speed: 25/70
Toughness: 18
Crew Size/Max Crew Size: 1/4
Climb +1 

Comments

• edited 2012-09-01 20:11:40
    No rainbow star
    Me! I'd like to join!
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'm working out the setting a bit more clearly at the moment.

I do have three people looking at joining at the moment, though. Sorry, Icalasari, I'll have to wait a bit and see how everything's looking, to decide who wants to join.

Tell me your character concept, and I'll see which of the three seems more interesting.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Okay, I have the setting worked out a bit more clearly.

There's a whole lot of planets here that you guys can use to make up backstories. If you have any questions regarding specific planets or events, I do have several worked out, so feel free to ask.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Okay, just a couple of questions:

1. Are we allowed all the races or only the ones that fit in the setting? Are there any exceptions?

2. Will we have fixed parties+expendables or is the only character we get the commander and the rest are expendables?

3. How much detail do we need to go into with our character(s) build-wise? Can we just use the pre-set classes?

4. Are you going to totally annihilate us with your mad GM-ing skills?

Also:

>The guidebook totally has etiquette rules for Game Night schedules

• You can change. You can.

can someone pm me with a guidebook

There are no elves, atlanteans, half-elves, or dwarves in the setting. All the other races are available, but rather than being fantasy-esque creatures (although they are fantasy-esque creatures), they are aliens (in the case of Saurians, Half-Orcs, and Rakashans) or genetically-engineered species (in the case of Half-Folk, Androids, and Avions). The reaction from people generally differs from world to world, but s a general rule-

- Aliens are more acceptable on Frontier Worlds. Gen-En Species are rare there, and attract a lot of attention if their obvious differences are noted, but they are rarely actively hated on Frontier Worlds.

- Aliens are regarded with mixed fear and curiosity on Core Worlds. Gen-En species are commonplace, and rarely earn you more than a second look, if that.

- Aliens are accepted as commonplace on Core Worlds. Gen-En species are rarely seen here, and immediately garner a violent reaction on any planets affiliated with Fer'au.

As for party size- You have your Commander, who is your main character, and you have your squad. Much like you would expect in real life, you really, really don't want your squad members to die, especially as they gain experience with you, but they are more expendable than your Commander. If a squad member dies, you can replace them with a fresh recruit, but that recruit is only two-thirds of the level that the dead squad member was, and you have to outfit them out of your own pocket.

So, basically, Commander + expendables you don't want to die.

As for builds... I've never played this system before, so I'd prefer it if you stuck to the pre-set classes, but if you want to muck around with your build, feel free. Just run it past me.

And I am not going to try and annihilate you, but if you're unlucky, you may well find yourself annihilated.

(To avoid that, I suggest trying to familiarize yourself with the worlds I send you to, using both IC and OOC information to influence your decisions.)

• edited 2012-09-06 07:44:37
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Commander
    Rebecca Unathi - Human
    Age - 45
    Joined Army At - 20
    Rank - Experienced Soldier
    Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d8
    Vigor d8
    Skills: Fighting d8, Knowledge (Battle) d10, Persuasion d6, Shooting d8.
    Charisma:- Pace:6 Parry:6 Toughness:6
    Hindrances: Heroic [MAJOR], Loyal [MINOR], Bad Eyes [MINOR]
    Edges: Command, Natural Leader
    Gear: Powered Armor (Battle Suit), Laser MG.
    Background: Rebecca grew up on a Frontier planet, growing crops with her father, but she always wanted to go out and see the other planets. Her father encouraged her to join the army to fulfill her dream, as they had little funds and she'd never get to do so otherwise. She occasionally still visits home but her schedule has become tighter with the war, she hopes to see her father before he finally succumbs to old age. She feels that being Commander will give her a chance to see all the places she'd love to see and finally learn what it means to live.

Squad
    Sidik Bakari- Human
    Age - 21
    Joined Army At - 18
    Rank - Soldier
    Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6,
    Vigor d6
    Skills: Fighting d8, Lockpicking d4, Notice d6, Stealth d6.
    Charisma:- Pace:6 Parry:5 Toughness:5
    Hindrances: Code Of Honor [MAJOR], Loyal [MINOR], Death Wish [MINOR]
    Gear: Powered Armor (Battle Suit), 2 Molecular Knives.
    Background: Sidik is from an unknown frontier planet where he grew up working in one of its many energy plants until his parents were mysteriously murdered. It tore his family apart and he found himself looking for direction, he joined the army after he lost his job and was eventually recruited by Rebecca.

Kurowe Xaurer- Saurian
    Age - 57
    Joined Army At - 25
    Rank - Experienced Soldier
    Vigor d8
    Skills: Piloting d6 , Knowledge (Science) d10, Knowledge (Other) d8, Repair d8.
    Charisma:- Pace:6 Parry:2 Toughness:5
    Hindrances: Bad Luck [MAJOR], Big Mouth [MINOR], Slightly Delusional [MINOR]
    Edges: Jack-of-All-Trades, McGyver, Scholar
    Gear: Powered Armor (Battle Suit), Setyr AUG.
    Background: Kurowe is much older than the rest of the team and was a soldier even before the war broke out. He and Rebecca worked together for five years prior and have built a strong working relationship, so it was natural for her to take him as part of her squad.

Obviously I'm taking the Armor (This won't come back to bite me, no-siree...)

Inventory

3xBackpack (150)
    3xBedroll (75)
    9xTrail Rations (90)
    1xCamera [Digital] (300)
    2xFlashlight (40)
    3xFlask [Ceramic] (15)
    2xRope (20)
    2xGrappling Hook (200)
    2xCrowbar (10)
    3xWinter Gear (600)
    3xNormal Clothing (60)
    3xWinter Boots (100)

Total: $1660

You forgot Traits, I believe.

Each of your characters has a d4 in Smarts, Agility, Spirit, Strength and Vigour. You have 5 points to raise those die with.

Gah.

You also need to list which of your Hindrances are Major and Minor, tell me how many skill points you invested in which skills, and... Fuck, I dunno.

I'm doing up Rebecca's sheet now. She needs a minimum Spirit of d8 and a minimum Smarts of d6 in order to have those two Edges.

You also have no mundane items, such as food and sleeping rolls, so rest assured I'm going to throw you onto a dying planet and make you survive for a week without even putting you in the combat you're so well geared for >:p

And... Depending on how many Allies the others want to create, I'm looking at restricting the numbers of squad members you can have under your control, to a maximum of 4- 4 novices, or 2 seasoned members, or 1 seasoned member and 2 novices.

• edited 2012-09-02 04:09:46

Well, now I have to go over it a bit.

I have to list mundane items too? >.>

Well, I could get rid of some of my team, but I'd've liked 2 seasoned and 2 novices.

Well, they have a price, so I can't just give them to you for free.

• edited 2012-09-02 04:21:05

But we're a federation funded team!

Not that I'll materialize a tank out of nowhere or anything like that.

And they're stretched for resources!

They already gave you like, five hundred credits each and top-of-the-line armour. :|

But we're an elite squad!

Then again, we are led by a slightly above average soldier and the team is kind of weirdly set up.

I have to leave for a bit, but I'll work on whatever else I forgot when I get back.

Just a note; die go up by 2, not 1. So it's d4, then d6, then d8, then d10, then d12, not d6, then d7, then d8.

Oops, sorry.

• edited 2012-09-02 06:30:46
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Alright, hard limit; three soldiers and a Commander. Three Novice soldiers, or a Novice and a Seasoned soldier.

That is to make the Follower Legendary Feat useful.

In addition, the Handbook offers up a statblock for a typical Soldier follower-

Soldier
    Vigor d6

Experienced Soldier
    Vigor d8

^ haha, no worries. Good thing for you, anyway.

It's because those are the typical dice players have; d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and d100.

• edited 2012-09-02 08:26:10

Casualties are not automatically replaced

Does that mean we going to follow this rule?

d100

Those exist?

I should probably get to trimming my team now.

... No. Well, yes- we'll RP it, as you searching for recruits/being sent new recruits afterwards. But you'll definitely receive your new recruits, so long as you are still alive.

• edited 2012-09-02 14:52:50
    No rainbow star
    Tell me your character concept, and I'll see which of the three seems more interesting.

I'd need a link to the guide to be able to make anything (if this was directed at me)
  • edited 2012-09-03 05:44:24

Okay, so, here we go. Final decisions on squad sizes, what you can get, and so on. I won't be changing this again, even if I'm dissatisfied with my decision here, so just update whatever you have already with what is here.

Your squad is comprised of three to four members. The term 'squad' is a bit misleading, as you're more of a Special Forces task squad.

Your squad can be comprised of a commander (your PC), and either three novice soldiers, or one novice soldier and one seasoned soldier.

You have a combined funds pool of $2500, for which you can buy gear for your characters. You also have access to two pieces of Military gear; you can have up to Battlesuit-grade Powered armour, or you can have up to two very crappy starships, or one somewhat decent starship.

I will be posting stats below.

For your squadmates, you will be allowed to assign them an extra stat point and skill point if they're a Novice soldier, or two stat points, two skill points and an Edge if they're Seasoned, on top of what is listed.

In addition, you can change what stats and skills each character has- so instead of having a d6 in Notice, yo could have a d6 in Piloting, for example.

Soldier
    Vigor d6

Experienced Soldier
    Vigor d8

Starships are listed down below.

Hurricane-class Light Cruiser

Acceleration/Top Speed: 15/40
    Toughness: 6
    Crew Size/Max Crew Size: 1/3.
    Climb -1
    Weaponry:
    1 x  30mm Cannon, mounted on hull. Deals 3d8 damage (AP 6). RoF: 3.

Executor-class Light Sabotager

Acceleration/Top Speed: 25/70
    Toughness: 18
    Crew Size/Max Crew Size: 1/4
    Climb +1 
    2 x 30mm Cannon, mounted on wings. Deals 3d8 damage (AP 6). RoF: 3.
    1 x 40mm Cannon, mounted on hull. Deals 4d8 damage (AP 5) or 3d8 damage (AP 22, MBT). RoF: 4.

And... Kraken takes up the third place.

I am sorry, Icalasari. :(

Updating...

Sorry. I keep changing things because... well, mostly because I'm running on about five hours of sleep a day, and about half a litre of coke, whiskey and bourbon, for like three days straight.

Does my character pitch look complete yet?

Yep, you're done.

Just gotta wait for Kraken and Juan to get their character sheets in. Kraken should have his done Thursday/Friday.

• You can change. You can.

Same for me. Thursday's my free day

• edited 2012-09-06 04:34:49

Alright, lets see if I'm doing this right. 

Once upon a time, there was an elite unit of the best and brightest ace pilots the galaxy had ever seen. The Crimson Rapiers, nicknamed "the Knights of the Stars", were idolized throughout the protected sectors for their boldness, courage, success, wild exploits, and openness to all pilots of talent, becoming one of the first squadrons to integrate alien staff and pilots amongst their ranks.

But in their many adventures, the Crimson Rapiers made a host of enemies, which conspired against them. One night on shore leave, most of the Rapier pilot roster were horrifically slaughtered in a bombing that also killed a hundred civilians. 

Eager to get the squadron up-and-running again, high command posted in new, untested pilots did not share the Rapiers' ideals of teamwork, hard work, and obeying orders. Within a year, that batch of pilots were all killed in battle, were disgracefully drummed out of service, fell ill, or went missing entirely. The brass continued to send in more and more pilots, and finding recruits became harder and harder.

By the second year, the entire unit was converted into a suicide squad, convicts strapped to planes and sent into the most dangerous of zones in a vain attempt for clemency. The funding grew tighter and tighter. The soldiers' violent natures led them to be named "The Bloody-Reds Switchblades", and as a result the name of the Crimson Rapiers was tarnished forever.

All that remains of the one-shining Crimson Rapiers is a mostly-abandoned ramshackle base, the only survivor of the Rapier Massacre, a former air pirate, and a mechanic. They spend most of their days drinking.

Why yes, they're perfect for that suicide mission.

Master Sergeant Vayu Errbon - Pilot/Commander, Rapier Original.

Race: Saurian female (Whiptail variant) (Outsider -2 CHAR; Natural Weapon STR+d4 damage; Saurian Senses +2 Notice; Warm Natured -4 resist cold)

Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d6, Spirit d4, Strength d6, Vigor d4.

Skills: Fighting d12, Notice d6, Pilot d12, Shooting d12.
    Charisma -2, Pace 6, Parry 6, Toughness 4.

Hindrances: Curious (MAJ - wants to know everything), Quirk (MIN - persistent foible). Vow (MIN - A pledge to a group, deity, or religion).

Edges: Quick (N; discard draw of 5 or less for new card), Ace (N, Ad8; +2 to Boating, Driving, Piloting; may make Soak rolls for vehicle at –2), Fleet-Footed (N, Ad6; +2 Pace, d10 running die instead of d6), Danger Sense (N; Notice at –2 to detect surprise attacks/danger).

Ayer "Breaker" Degrut - Spotter/Soldier, former air pirate.

Race: Human female.

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6.

Skills: Fighting d10, Notice d8, Shooting d8, Stealth d6, Survival d8
    Charisma 4, Pace 6, Parry 6, Toughness 4.

Hindrances: Greedy (MIN - obsessed with wealth), Illiterate (MIN - unable to read or write), Death Wish (MIN - wants to die after completing some task).

Edges: Quick Draw (N, Ad8; may draw weapon as a free action), Two-Fisted (N, Ad8; may attack with a weapon in each hand without multi-action penalty) 
    ----
    Mess Sergeant Pariya "Banshee" Hargal - Mechanic/Communications, alcoholic.

Race: Human female.

Attributes: Agility d4, Smarts d8, Spirit d4, Strength d6, Vigor d6.

Skills: Healing d8, Knowledge d8, Repair d10, Gambling d8.
    Charisma 0, Pace 5, Parry 0, Toughness 5.

Hindrances: Elderly (MAJ - Pace –1; –1 to STR and VIG die types; +5 skill points for any skill linked to Smarts), Habit/Booze (MAJ - CHAR–1; fatigue rolls when deprived of Major Habits), One Eye (–1 CHAR, –2 to rolls requiring depth perception).

Edges: None.
    ----
    Equipment

Dagger ($25)x2 = $50
    Peacemaker ($300)x3 = $900
    M1 Rifle ($300)x2 = $600
    Staff ($10) = $10
    Survival Knife ($50)x3 = $150
    Flak Jacket ($80)x2 = $160
    Backpack ($50) = $50
    Bedroll ($25)x2 = $50
    Blanket ($10)x3 = $30
    Flask ($5)x2 = $20
    Flashlight ($20)x2 = $40
    Bullets, Medium ($50)x2 = $100
    Bullets, Large ($50)x2 = $100
    Trail Rations ($10)x4 = $40
    Tool Kit ($200) = $200

Actually, can I have a dwarf?

• edited 2012-09-06 03:21:12

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d5, Spirit d4, Strength d5, Vigor d4.

Attributes go up by d2, not d1.

That is, you have 5 Attribute points. You have a d4 in every stat. By the look of it, you've put four points in Agility, one point in Smarts, and one in Strength.

However, that is incorrect. Putting four points in a stat would raise it to d12; d6 with one stat point invested, d8 with two, d10 with three, and d12 with four.

So, with the points you've invested in this, you should have:

Agility d12, Smarts d6, Spirit d4, Strength d6, Vigor d4.

Fighting d8, Notice d6, Pilot d8, Shooting d8.

Skill points also follow the same rule.

However, you don't start with a d4 in a Skill; you have to spend a stat point to purchase it.

So you have to spend three points to get a d8 in Fighting; you purchase a d4, then a d6, then a d8.

So, as it stands, you have spent eleven skill points. That is, if your ranks in Notice were bought. If you are relying on your Saurian's natural bonus to Notice for that, then I have to inform you that you do not have a d6 in Notice; rather, you are making untrained Notice checks, with a +2 bonus.

Charisma 8

Charisma starts at a natural 0. It is only modified by things that explicitly modify Charisma.

In your case, you have two. Outsider, one of your Hindrances, lowers it by 2; and being a Saurian, you are naturely an Outsider, so you suffer another -2 to Charisma.

As such, your Charisma sits at -4, not 8.

Also, once again, I screwed up.

As you all start out as Seasoned, you have four Advances to spend.

An Advance allows you to:

• Gain a new Edge.
    • Increase a skill that is equal to or greater than its linked
    attribute by one die type.
    • Increase two skills that are lower than their linked
    attributes by one die type each.
    • Buy a new skill at d4.
    • Increase one attribute by a die type.

So, you can all choose four of those to use.

Actually, can I have a dwarf?

Unfortunately, Dwarves are one of the races I have chosen to disallow here.

• Aw.

Okay, I'll go over it again. This is the first time I've ever used this sort of system.