If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• edited 2012-08-12 23:13:24
    a little muffled

Sounds like a variant of the Sealed league*. I've never seen a Sealed league played for ante, but it seems like the most reasonable place to use it. Relevantly, Sealed league play is actually about as close as you can get to how Richard Garfield initially imagined Magic normally being played.

Ante was a neat enough idea, but it was eliminated for good reason. Specifically, because a) it was in sketchy legal territory in places with restrictions on gambling, and b) few people actually ever played for ante, as people got attached to pet decks.

*I can't find a good article explaining Sealed league, but basically how it works is you get a bunch of sealed product (normally six boosters, or a tournament pack and two to three boosters if you're using older sets that have tournament packs) and you build a 40-card-minimum deck from it, as in normal Sealed play. You play games for points up to a certain number each week (normally you can play further games not for points after this), and then each week you get an extra pack.

• edited 2012-08-12 23:16:06
    Has friends besides tanks now

That's sort of what I was thinking, except that I thought it would be more interesting if everyone got more packs (maybe even a lot more; anywhere from 9, as in a fat pack, to 36, as in a booster box, or 24 or 18), so that it's easier to make a good deck, either at minimum 40 or 60. And then, each week, get as many more from the next set, and then keep going.

And with what I was thinking of, it would really only be possible online.

• a little muffled

Eh, once you get enough packs it starts to turn into almost-constructed. Plus it seems really hard to build a deck from that many packs. If the league goes on long enough (and while the standard is usually a month, I've heard of ones that go on up to a year -- still with a pack a week) the card pools get pretty big anyway.

That being said, there are other league-type variants than Sealed league. I remember participating on one on the official forums years ago where you started with a theme deck (I guess they're intro packs now) plus one booster of any set of your choice (well, any set from a certain point forward -- I believe the cutoff was Tempest, since that was the first set to have theme decks), and then each week you'd get another booster of any set of your choice. That was fun, though it didn't last long.

• edited 2012-08-13 12:25:37

Well, I've found an easy-to-use randomized pack simulator in the TappedOut Draft Simulator, so if I could find a group for this thing, I might be able to actually try this League out. It would just be a little convoluted. I had found another simulator that's downloadable and would have probably worked much better, but something went wrong in the setup attempt, though that could just be because I suck at working with .rar files and couldn't figure out how to extract what I needed to, or something.

EDIT: Actually, the Draft Sim is a little wonky. I might look around more.

EDIT 2: Le Bestiare seems pretty cool.

• I always loved that it originally specified circles of protection.
  • edited 2012-08-13 19:12:57

I just love that it punishes people for using my least favorite color. :D

I was sort of surprised that it specified Circles of Protection in the original text, and it's funny that the errata actually makes it better. In the right format, this would make one hell of a sideboard card.

Alpha was just a great set. It also had easily the cruelest card in the game: Darkpact.

Drafting this is actually pretty fun.

• edited 2012-08-13 19:28:04

I'd be up for that sealed league thing (though I'd be busy on weekdays until September).

Relevantly, Sealed league play is actually about as close as you can get to how Richard Garfield initially imagined Magic normally being played.

For whatever it's worth, the Microprose game (and to a much lesser extent, Forge) also sort of simulates that experience.

Edit:

I just love that it punishes people for using my least favorite color. :D

If you do that sort of thing, Karma will hit you back.

• Has friends besides tanks now

^ I see whatcha did there.

I wonder if I should make a thread for the Sealed League thing, to see if more people are up for it. Also, that way I could get more feedback on what sort of variation we could use.

So can I get some help with my Wizard deck? I'm at 74 cards and I don't know what to get rid of. What dooooo? :(

3 Enclave Cryptologist
    2 Lighthouse Chronologist
    3 Echo Mage
    3 Venerated Teacher
    4 Mana Leak
    4 Rewind
    3 Augur of Bolas
    4 Steady Progress
    4 Ponder
    2 Fallowsage
    2 Glen Elendra Archmage
    2 Archmage Ascension
    2 Azami, Lady of Scrolls
    3 Magus of the Bazaar
    2 Magus of the Future
    4 Stonybrook Banneret
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Elixir of Immortality
    20 Island
    2 Jace's Archivist

• You can change. You can.

Color hosing never stops weirding and annoying me out.

not only is it way too many sideboard-y for my taste, it also seems like an excuse to take the colour pie to an alley and beat the shit out of it till it bleeds.

• edited 2012-08-13 23:54:04

I hadn't seen a good color hosing card until today, so I got a little excited about it. Still kinda love Gloom, though. And I sorta like the idea of each color having ways to thwart its enemy colors like that.

Anyway, I finished my Wizard deck. I don't know how effective it is, though, so if a friend of mine from meatspace doesn't respond, I'd like to try it out with someone here.

Anyone around for some games?

• edited 2012-09-01 16:08:27

Finally put together an Infect deck for Standard, and I'd be willing to try it out later.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Shocklands are back. Hopefully this will put a dent in their prices.

• edited 2012-09-02 16:59:02

Nifty.

I think I'll like the set. Its basic lands look pretty :3

Also, Overload.

I've always found the Guild mechanics to be very cool. It's nice to see that there's still so much that can be done. Out of the new ones, I think my favorite is Overload.

Shocklands are cool, too, of course.

I'm keeping an eye on Unleash, personally. There's got to be something more to it than we've currently seen.

• edited 2012-09-02 17:09:36

Oh, and of course, the new Jace is pretty cool. Probably my favorite card shown so far. My friend will probably flip shit about it; anti-weenie/aggro +1, Fact or Fiction-lite -2, and take the best card in each opponent's deck -8. And the sad thing is, it's probably still not as good as Mind Sculptor, if only for the latter's Brainstorm +0.

Unleash screams Ghave to me. 

• edited 2012-09-02 20:02:03

Only problem is, Unleash is Rakdos, a.k.a. BR, and Ghave is WBG, right? That would be tricky. But if you could make it work, that would be pretty cool.

Also, can someone help me with my UB Heartless Infect deck? I don't know if I have too many non-playsets, or what to get rid of. I also kind of want to add some counterspells.

11 Swamp
    1 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
    2 Corpse Cur
    3 Plague Stinger
    2 Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
    3 Necropede
    2 Core Prowler
    2 Contagion Engine
    4 Hand of the Praetors
    4 Dismember
    4 Heartless Summoning
    1 Blightsteel Colossus
    4 Drowned Catacomb
    4 Darkslick Shores
    3 Tezzeret's Gambit
    3 Island
    2 Throne of Geth
    3 Thrummingbird
    2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

Only problem is, Unleash is Rakdos, a.k.a. BR, and Ghave is WBG, right? That would be tricky. But if you could make it work, that would be pretty cool.

Well, the first Unleash card we saw was only black, so I figure there would be at least one non-red unleash card that would be worth a slot in my Ghave deck.

Regarding your deck, what I would suggest is to get rid of at least one Contagion Engine and go for clasps instead. I also suggest to have just one Zombie Mike so that you can have more Corpse Curs and get rid of Tamiyo, since she doesn't seem to be contributing much except for an ultimate that will be unlikely to be triggered, I think (Of course, you play Proliferate so I may be wrong)

I think I'm like, just going to sit in a corner and cry.

• edited 2012-09-03 09:36:49

^^ Hmm. Now that I think about it, the lack of mana ramp hurts this deck a lot. I didn't want to have to say it, but I think Green is just too useful to be ignored in an Infect deck, especially since Turbo Infect is one of the fastest decks currently in Standard.

I'll probably split the deck between UG and UB, so I can do all the stuff I want in a more timely manner. Maybe even a UBG deck.

^ That's awesome. Exactly my kind of card.

Fuck yeah, sexy Izzet general is sexy

come here, nivvie let me love you like the doctor does

• a little muffled

Meh. Outclassed by Emrakul and friends for cheating out, too expensive to ever cast in a reasonable game. Still dies to exile-based removal. It's probably solid in EDH but even there it's far from green's best fatty.

...Yeah, I'm not much of a Timmy.

"Dies to removal" really really needs to stop being a thing.

^ What Saigyouji said.

I could see Worldspine Wurm getting a lot of hate.

• edited 2012-09-04 11:16:58
    a little muffled

@Saigyouji: My point wasn't "lolol dies to removal it sucks", it was that its death trigger isn't as effective at deterring all forms of removal as it might seem. Furthermore, honestly? On an eleven-drop, "dies to removal" is a pretty reasonable criticism.