If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Film Club thread 2.0

edited 2012-07-15 05:49:38 in IJBM meta
You can change. You can.

I know we have an old one but I can't be arsed to find it so fuck it, let's do it from the top.

We have been trying to do this many times and to be honest, I'm not particularly faithful about this one but you hafta try don't you?

so, anyway, we all like movies. movies are cool. And I think that it'd be interesting to watch movies and discuss them together. Last time we did this, we created an IRC channel and watched a couple of movies, but the approach is flawed because it doesn't allow for much discussion and flexibility. The Animu club managed to proceed somewhat further via having a deadline instead. But I propose mixing the two so that we have a day when we can all watch the movie and discuss it in the channel or chat or whatever and then, if you didn't manage it, you can still watch it on your own and post either here or on the channel (PRovided people are there)

So, what say you, True IJBMers?

Comments

• They're somethin' else.

I nominate either The Warriors or Streets of Fire.

• You can change. You can.

Anyway, the channel is #filmclub at esper. If you are in dire need of a client, I recommend Pidgin. It's pretty and it's functional enough. If you need links for downloads, then I can normally produce them when possible. I'll be always in channel if possible so if you have to ask something, I'd prefer it'd be there. 

I also decided to be the only operator of the channel for now. Last time we had four operators and it never was necessary, for starters. I won't be doing much except the occasional kick and maintaining the channel unless it suddenly goes bigger than I expected and then I will look for more people to work for me. 

As for movies to watch, we'll set up a poll. Everyone will nominate one movie and after that, everyone will vote for any of the movies in the poll. We'll watch the most voted one first and then we'll go on from there. The only reasons why a movie would be taken from the queue would be because we can't find a link or a place to watch or because the nominator wants to retire the movie and watch something else or simply let us continue down the queue.

Any ideas, questions and so on are appreciated.

• Champion of the Whales

Can you recommend films in this thread?

No, but you can nominate one for us to watch and discuss. Unless you want us to recommend you one, if so, I wouldn't really mind it.

• edited 2012-07-22 16:35:32
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Black Death, still. Sean Bean is an Inquisitorial knight on a mission to destroy the necromancer causing the Plague.

one does not simply ignore this film

• I'm in. My nomination is Breathless by Jean-Luc Godard.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

If you like films, Criticker is a good website to check out. I'm no fan of the scoring system, but it's a convenient way to keep track of the movies you've watched.

• Black Death is good.

I nominate The 400 Blows by Truffaut.

• edited 2012-07-21 21:26:24
    You can change. You can.

Anybody else interested?

will we do live stream watching? Or "separate watch" followed by discussion?

• edited 2012-07-22 01:36:03
    You can change. You can.

(...) we have a day when we can all watch the movie and discuss it in the channel and chat or whatever and then, if you didn't manage it, you can still watch it on your own and post either here or on the channel (Provided people are there)

Coobeans.

Any particular theme we wanna go for our first bout? "Required watching"? "Sleeper hits"?

Not really. Just nominate things and we'll put it to a vote.

Welp, I've nominated The Warriors and Streets of Fire. I'll give a third:

Brick.

one per person please.

Brick, just Brick.

• edited 2012-07-23 05:27:04
    You can change. You can.

Fair enough.

So, we have 

Brick (Schitzo)

Black Death (Alex) II

400 Blows (Juan) I

Breathless (Samurai) II

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. (Malkavian)

anybody else wants to chime in?

• edited 2012-07-22 05:23:36
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Ok since I forgot this thread existed, Imma throw my suggestion in since it seems to be going slow with The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. If it's too old/well-known I can choose something else. (I promise it won't be Darkman)

• edited 2012-07-22 13:09:02
    They're somethin' else.

Why won't it be darkman? D:

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I often suggested Darkman and it would get shut down.

D:

Wait when? Don't remember that. 

• So are we ready to start voting?

I wanted to have seven people but that'll do. 

Remember you can't vote for the movie you nominated but you can vote for two movies on the list. 

My votes are for Breathless and Black Death.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I might have to sit this one out, given that my family has exceeded our download limit for the month. That means it'll be at least a week until I can download anything of substance. Given that I can't take part (unless it turns out to be Black Death, since I have the DVD), I'll withhold from voting this time around. 

Well, Malk's out for the week too so I figured we'd wait until we all are available and assembled.

...what? it's a fun word. 

• I vote for 400 blows.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Then all is dandy.

I vote for 400 Blows and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, not knowing anything about them. Or any of the suggestions here. "400 Blows" is kind of close to "40 Hs" and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" is just right out there, so it sounds interesting. 

Black Death and Breathless.