If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• You can change. You can.

There's Dark Impostor if you want to exile things too. Or playing Reanimator stuff to get the dead stuff on your side

• edited 2012-07-16 23:01:11
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I think I should note that the deck's primarily blue. I'll post the decklist in a moment.

Hmm. Maybe I could remove some Duty-Bound Dead for Doom Blades; it's sort of just a black one-drop for the sake of having it, with a passive boost.

Is it an exalted deck?

• a little muffled

Repeated removal is rare in any colour and mass removal is more white's thing, but black's got some of each. The flagship card for the latter is Damnation, which is...really expensive these days for some reason (EDH I guess). Black Sun's Zenith and Mutilate are the next best options, but the former is less than ideal for dealing with big dragons and the latter will likely only do the trick if nearly all your lands are swamps. Life's Finale is a decent suggestion: six mana is a lot and the library-searching side effect isn't huge, but it's not nothing and the card will do the trick.

On the repeatable removal end, there are cards like Avatar of Woe and Visara the Dreadful, but neither of those are in Modern or Standard.

All in all, though, your best weapon is Doom Blade. Play lots of spot removal and use it judiciously. Dragons really shouldn't be causing too big of a problem to a black control deck.

oooh also, if you are playing Modern, you can use River's Grasp. 

• a little muffled

River's Grasp is pretty cool. It pretty much falls under Doom Blade variants though.

Well yeah. Wouldn't have suggested it otherwise

• edited 2012-07-17 23:04:55

^^^^^ Not really, but if I really felt like it, I could put in more Exalted cards; I got the Exalted starter deck on a whim.

^^^^ Hmm. Out of all that, I think Life's Finale is my best option for mass removal. Also, I have an Avatar of Woe, just an aside, but yeah, I'm not using it. I got it when I was all like "ooh, find the best black cards possible".

And the reason the dragons cause trouble is that . . . well, the deck's more stall than control at first, and the goal is to make it the most dickish deck possible. I use Kraken Hatchlings, Walls of Frost, Trading Post with a focus on getting goats, and an Etched Champion and Phylactery Lich* if possible to keep them at bay while I use Merfolk Looter and Jace Beleren to accelerate my drawing, ideally finding Clones, Mind Control, Rise from the Grave, or Rite of Replication to use whatever the opponent has that's best at the moment. Or if all the cards are in place, bring in one of two Nicol Bolas, Planeswalkers, to wreak further havoc. Problem is, aside from replicated creatures, none of these things have Flying or Reach.

*Probably not the most defensible choice in a Blue primary, but it's basically a good card and it amuses me to use it with Etched Champion. Plus, if I get mass removal, it stays, provided I put a Phylactery counter on something besides Etched Champion.

EDIT: Ooh, Sadistic Sacrament is cool. And I have some Screeching Silcaws in the side deck, so maybe I'll integrate a bit of mill or something.

EDIT 2: I suppose a good choice would be to get rid of the Phylactery Lich and find something else to put in.

EDIT 1 day after for those who see it: Holy shit, Shadowmoor has some amazing cards.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Cockatrice has broken for me :(

is it asking for an update

if so burn everything

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

yes

it is

and when i try to update it it breaks it

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Me is bored because the college term ended.

Me tries to make a green hexproof deck for standard game use

End result looks like a EDH deck more than anything else.

• a little muffled

@Nova: Reinstall?

Didn't work :(

• a little muffled

What exactly is the problem you are having?

And it works now. How mysterious. :|

• Has friends besides tanks now

So I just altered my real-card deck a bit more, after yesterday's draft (where I went 1-2 playing monoblue and tried but failed to put together a good mill deck. My douchebag friend nabbed a pair of Mind Sculpts and a Clone, and I never even saw any Tome Scours. >:/). In fact, I only won once by milling, thanks to a first-pack Sands of Delirium coming in early enough in the game. Got a pair of Jace's Phantasms, though, which helped. Most of my wins involved me plinking away at the dude 'cause he couldn't block.

So my current deck is mill. You can proceed to hate me now. :D

Mill post-Innistrad is both bizzarely effective and bad. 

What do you mean? That leaves me sort of confused.

I think M13 has given us some pretty good mill stuff.

Well, ISD has given us mill stuff too. The issue's not that so much as the fact that when you're playing in an environment with cards that use cards from the graveyard constantly, it seems more like an enabler to your opponent's victory unless you are playing graveyard hate.

• edited 2012-07-21 21:20:34

Ah. Well, the deck's only modern anyway, and I don't want to take the time to Standardize it, so I might just split my sideboard between stuff to deal with graveyard grabbing and stuff to deal with ferocious fliers.

And worst comes to worst, there are Clones and Mind Control. And Stoic Rebuttal.

Oh, and I had another idea for a deck: blue/green, with green as mana ramping and support, to bring out Doubling Season, and then Tamiyo, and get her emblem early; when combined with Rewind, it's basically free counterspelling for the rest of the game. And then find some way to make use of this awesome combo but otherwise sub-optimal color combo.

Or Green/White weenies with the new Ajani beacuse holy shit that capstone.

EDIT: Whatevs. I'm pretty happy with this mill deck after taking a few hands. Only had one really terrible hand, I think. And I'm only running 21 lands, too.

• edited 2012-07-23 22:59:43

Okay, if I may take a poll: what deck strategies annoy you or flat-out piss you off the most? For one of my friends who I've just played, it's mill, and it really pisses him off that I just milled him out. Me, I hate weenie decks (unless it's Elves, if they count, because they're so absurd that they cross back over my approval line).

Combo for me. And it doesn't even bother me that much, it just annoys me when they end a game too early. But when it ends it just when it got started, it's just annoying. 

Wanna play on Cockatrice? Preferably with Standard-legal decks, if you have any. I'd like to have a game or three against someone who won't call me a faggot for running blue mill and tell me I'm not playing a real deck.

Sure why not. 

• a little muffled

No deck strategy pisses me off in general; everything has its place. Though if you bring land destruction or lockdown to a casual game that's kind of annoying, and combo decks in EDH are pretty lame.

• edited 2012-07-24 23:41:06

Anyone up for some games? I might upload my irl black deck (which I think is only Modern-legal, but I don't remember what qualifies as Extended, so maybe it's good there, too) and use that.

EDIT: I'm in the process of making a green deck, too. I think it should turn out okay, in spite of me trading off a lot of my best green cards to friends.

EDIT 2: Still have at least 80 decent green creatures. Including a Primordial Hydra I pulled a few days ago!

I decided to check how many EDH decks I had.

Huh. I thought I had many more untested decks. Five's not bad, though.

I've been wanting to do more decks for the rest of the nephilim but I only like Yore-Tiller and Ink-Treader, really.

Funnily enough, after the purge a few weeks ago, Thrax's the only general with two decks. And I think I'll delete the one with creatures. 

Also I need to pun more with these things. 

• But you never had any to begin with.

You have more decks than me. What is this madness? :|