If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2012-06-23 16:33:09
    a little muffled

My friend liked it, but then he likes a lot of shitty things too.

I've been meaning to watch it for a while myself.

• I haven't seen it, though pretty much everything I've heard about it has been very positive.  If nothing else, it's probably worth trying.

• a little muffled

I love how the conversation between Quon and Ixtli in episode 9 of RahXephon is more or less a competition to see who can be more cryptic.

• You can change. You can.

Most dialogue in RahXephon involving Quon and Reika amounts to "Who is cryptic-est of cryptics?", really

• a little muffled

Also Bähbem. And, to a lesser extent, Watari, Makoto, Itsuki, Kunugi, Maya...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Just bought Noir in its entirety for $10. I'll eventually have time to watch it.

yesss

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Eureka Seven?

I've seen it. It's amazing. Though if you have a thing against hipster Buddhism and mecha you'll want to skip it.

• edited 2012-06-24 15:23:15
    Has friends besides tanks now

I watched Summer Wars at PortCon. Couldn't exactly call the plot or characters exceptional, overall, or anything, and the parallel baseball game was very annoying, but it was entertaining, and the animation was pretty.

• edited 2012-06-24 16:06:16
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Just bought Noir in its entirety for $10. I'll eventually have time to watch it.

Holy fucking shit.  I saw it once for $45.

Has anyone here watched Eureka Seven? I was thinking of watching but wanted some opinions.

It's very, very character-centric, especially focused on the main characters.  The first half of the show is rather slow in plot progression, though may contain a lot of tear-jerker moments.  The second half of the show, especially the last quarter, are more setting-centric.  The ending is a bit ham-handed, though endings are never easy for writers to handle.  Overall, it is a pretty darn epic series.

I give it a 9/10.  It's currently the highest-rated series on my MAL.  The negatives are that it doesn't handle the ending that well (some people feel it's a bit silly) and that it doesn't really give enough attention to some very interesting supporting characters.  The pacing is a mixed bag--on one hand, it can be kinda draggy, but on the other hand, it really gives you time to understand the characters.

• edited 2012-06-24 16:23:30

^ On the other hand, I saw Shiki on Blu-Ray for $43.73. Does anyone know if it's any good? Don't need to know how or why if you don't want to get into detail, a yes or no is fine. I considered buying it because vampires, but ultimately decided against it because I don't even know if it's actually worth watching.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    So thoughts on Stein's;Gate so far. I really like the animation and most of the characters (well mostly Okabe and Kurisu) but it is kinda silly, but really wants to be taken seriously. And it can do serious well like when they uncovered the Jellyman files. But it feels a little bit unsure of itself. Oh well only six episodes in. Let's see what the other 3/4ths of the show have to offer.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

hey

hey everest if you're there

look

• edited 2012-06-24 21:45:44

I can't tell from "Date Modified", does this mean you've watched them already? If so, fuck yeah, and what did you think?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

no

i just downloaded them again

since i lost them when my computer exploded a while ago

so

i'm going to watch some now

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-06-24 22:48:34
    What's the appeal of K-ON! outside of cute things acting cute? Or is that all there is to it?

It's "cute comedy", really. I found it amusing, and I'm kind of a nitpicker so make of that what you will

• edited 2012-06-25 00:32:39

no

i just downloaded them again

since i lost them when my computer exploded a while ago

so

i'm going to watch some now

Why do you not have the first 12 episodes or the last 3?

Also who the hell releases anime and doesn't include CRCs and group names and source and resolution and codecs in the file name?

Anyway, K-ON! is a comedy, so the appeal is... like any other comedy (that is, you like it if you think it's funny)?  It also has endearing characters and is pretty good at creating a relaxing, nostalgic atmosphere, so... make of that what you will.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

How good is Smile Precure?

• edited 2012-06-25 00:55:56

It's... decent.  I really want to answer that more specifically but I don't know if I can.  It's... an alright show that doesn't really excel in any way in particular.  I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but that's because I'm a fan of the genre.  It certainly is a competent magical girl show but I don't really know how you in particular would like it.  You could try just watching a few episodes to see, although I wouldn't really recommend that considering both how slowly you watch anime, and that the first few episodes are pretty weak compared to the ones later on (i.e. after episode 5 or 6).  So... wait for fourteenwings to answer you (because I think they're watching it too... unless it was someone else)... or something.

Yeah, I'm watching Smile.

The first couple of episodes are kind of mind numbing (Turn of your brain whenever a new cure is introduced, seriously, it helps). It's getting better now, but it's not at good just yet. It's hit (Yayoi's April Fools, the Akane and Wolfrun fight in Miyuki's mom episode) and miss (Nao's bug episode, anything that focuses on Candy) so far. So are the characters (Yayoi, Nao, Akane, Reika, Wolfrun, Akaoni and Pop VS Majorina, that camp Joker-ish clown guy, Miyuki and Candy)

I like the decors and their Fourze switch like powerups and a great rescue arc seems to be coming up, it's not very continuity heavy so you can jump in whenever.

• edited 2012-06-25 12:42:23
    Loser

MrW,

What's the appeal of K-ON! outside of cute things acting cute? Or is that all there is to it?

I think DYRE is right about atmosphere. Part of the appeal may just be that while K-On! is one of those schoolgirl slice of life shows like Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class etc., it actually has more plot, believe it or not, than a lot of them do. The music stuff might play a role too. Still, I would not really be surprised if the main reason why people liked it just came down to moe.

Anyway, I am curious about whether people here tend to rewatch shows or not. I get the impression that many people who frequent anime/manga sites watch a lot of different shows every season and are less likely to rewatch series and I was kind of wondering if that was the case here as well. I might be wrong about that though, so if anyone has any thoughts about this stuff I would be glad to hear them.

• I'm a damn twisted person

I'll rewatch anime I've liked in the past before. Granted anime has lost a lot of it's appeal and exoticness for me after high school, so I don't really bother keeping up with new stuff as it comes out each season. 

• edited 2012-06-25 13:09:14

I don't ever reread or rewatch anything I've already completed, unless it's a movie that's being shown at a group gathering I'm participating in or something, but I do sometimes revisit things I couldn't finish on my first attempts.

• Anyway, I am curious about whether people here tend to rewatch shows or not. I get the impression that many people who frequent anime/manga sites watch a lot of different shows every season and are less likely to rewatch series and I was kind of wondering if that was the case here as well. I might be wrong about that though, so if anyone has any thoughts about this stuff I would be glad to hear them.

I've watched K-ON! 4 or 5 times, and the second season twice (and am planning to watch it again before the movie comes out).  I've watched Haruhi 3 times, and I've watched a bunch of other shows twice.  Still, I mostly am concerned with watching lots of new shows, but it can be fun to watch something I liked a lot again, so I will occasionally.  I could understand why you'd think a lot of people like that don't rewatch anime very much, but it's not like you can't watch a lot of new shows at the same time that you're watching a show again.  I mean, I'm always in the middle of 10 or more shows at once, so...

• edited 2012-06-25 13:24:20
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I only reread/watch something if it's been a long time (like a few years) and it's just really damn good.

I only rewatch stuff that has impacted me in an emotional way and I want to replicate that effect (Like, say, reading All Star Superman every year when I'm feeling ridiculously down)

In the case of anime, I watch very very few series, mostly because most anime doesn't really attract my interests, but I do rewatch some provided they fulfill the above requirement

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I rewatch bits and pieces of shows that I like, either randomly or with an emphasis on particularly important, dramatic, or memorable parts.

• Has friends besides tanks now

So I read the first volume of Biomega at dad's. Aside from the inexplicable talking gun-toting bear, and the amount of space taken up by Nihei's landscapes (which are admittedly quite entrancing), it's pretty neat so far. I actually feel a bit of tension reading it, which hasn't been true for like any other zombie apocalypse series.

I love re-watching stuff that I like, do it all the time. Especially if said thing I like gets an English dub.

^^ Sometimes I do that too.