If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Something Awful

13»

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I don't think it was ever a particularly British thing to do anyway.

• Champion of the Whales

It was, like in the 1930's as a mild swear because it appeared in a series of books about an English public school lad called Billy Bunter.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    >See the SA thread got about 30 replies in a night

>Uh oh

>It turns out to be talk about Australia

Well, I can't say I'm not surprised
  • There is love everywhere, I already know

^ Basically that.

• You can change. You can.

I don't think any of us actually reads the SA thread on goonland by now. At least, I know I don't.

• Champion of the Whales

I read some threads on SA but not the TVT one

• Took a peek, it's still the same repetitive moral indignation, with a few sacred cow fanfic MSTs peppered in.

• I still read the SA thread about TVT.

• So Madass, what you're saying is, the current Australian generation is a nation of hipsters.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

That's also true in the literal sense. 

Jokes aside, I consider it for the best. As noted above, I've never been entirely comfortable with mainstream Australian culture, and the hipsterism (both literally and figuratively) of my generation is far preferable to the exceedingly masculine expectations that dominated my childhood. Of course, I resent literal hipsterism for the reasons most "real" nerds do -- the repurposing of the things that set me apart and in many ways alienated me when I was younger in the interest of social posturing. Call it petty if you like, because it certainly is. 

So that's Australia, I guess. Wedged somewhere between an excessively masculine old guard and a current generation of insincere reverence for what was traditionally considered nerdy, with each "side" kind of looking a lot better in comparison to the other. On the other hand, this could just be Melbourne, since I've only spent short amounts of time anywhere else and mostly within the state of Victoria. 

I know the post above was a joke and everything, but it prompted some worthwhile thoughts, so I thought I may as well take the opportunity to expand a little. 

• The one Aussie I knew in my WoW guild almost never used stereotypical Australian slang.  Like, the accent was about as prominent as it gets, but the vernacular wasn't really any different.

Then again, this was the same guild with a Russian guy who had an accent that had us all convinced he was Mexican for the longest time until he performed some rather artistically effluent swearing.

• Champion of the Whales

For the longest time, my guild leader and his gf were Russian but they spoke and swore in English, I was most disappoint.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^I am now picturing Speedy Gonzales swearing in Russian.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Are you implying speedy was never a comrade?

• Well, Speedy was always stealing the roses and stuff that one mouse chick gave to the guy serenading her.  Clearly it was part of a communist scheme to redistribute wealth by starting with mundane gifts of affection.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

He broke into US territory to distribute cheese among his peers! He is communist.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-06-05 19:22:11

This has added humor for me because said not-Mexican guy was a very overenthusiastic Leeroy and asspulled a lot, so I can very easily hear him as Speedy.  He'd probably get pissy about the commie jokes though.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Heh. Went and accidentally derailed the One Piece manga thread, whoops. Clearly it's IJBM's fault for hosting so many derailed threads.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Wouldn't we have to have rails to have derails?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

We have off-road vehicles.

where we're going we won't need rails

• There's nothing on Earth like a genuine, bona-fide, electrified, six-car monorail.
  • Oh hey, this thread again, Ahh History, y u repeat yourself >:p

George Santayana was an unlistened genius indeed

• ^ I did a presentation on him for my high school philosophy class. I thought his metaphysics cribbed pretty heavily on Plato's.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.

The only thing I ever saw were the LP Archives.

So, yeah, other than that, I don't really go to SA.

This, pretty much.

there are too few screenshot+story LPs as opposed to vids with running commentaries

Also this.

And yes, I'm aware that the thread actually already derailed.

• Heh. Went and accidentally derailed the One Piece manga thread, whoops. Clearly it's IJBM's fault for hosting so many derailed threads.

We have a One Piece thread beside Animu/Mango central? Must find.

The older (and current) GRRM threads in The Book Barn are full of so much goony butthurt, it's beautiful.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    ^ No, the one on SA. I'm under a different name there now.