If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Superman vs Goku

edited 2012-05-29 01:23:00 in Media
Definitely not gay.

Why the hell are they going to fight anyway? Both Superman and Goku are unrealistically nice, they'd probably be bros.

Comments

• Why can't it be Superman and Goku vs the Universe? Now that would be a comic book I would actually bother to read.

• Because we need to prove our superiority by proving our favorite guy can beat up your favorite.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

They'd have to fight. They need to do the whole 'mistake each other for villains' thing.

• Definitely not gay.

As for the fight itself...

I'm assuming Pre-Crisis levels here, as that's the only way Superman is going to stand a chance. Superman trumps Saiyan Saga-level Goku and is pretty evenly matched with Super Saiyan/post-Frieza Saga Goku. Cell Saga Goku and Supes have about equal chances, but Goku has a slight advantage.

Buu Saga Goku-onwards laughs at Superman.

• You can change. You can.

I've always hated this question because we all know that Superman would just call the Justice League if he saw himself in really big trouble.

SSJ3 Goku would be able to take on a Byrne-level Superman to a fairly even level.

But if we're talking Silver Age where the dude pulled out a new power every week and could actually juggle planets Goku doesn't stand a chance.

The only real problem I have with this question is that people seem to conflate power level with character quality. And think one winning vindicates whichever country's comics as superior.

And if you're pushing DBZ as proof of Japanese comics' superiority...

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    >And if you're pushing DBZ as proof of Japanese comics' superiority...

What I find funny is that DBZ is so successful despite being where the creator started trying to end the series because he was tired of making it.
  • edited 2012-05-29 07:35:34
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

East vs. West debates are bad enough but when people use shonenshit to make their point...

Don't get me wrong. The Western industry could learn a lot from manga but it's not an altogether superior medium.

• Oi, this thread is making me miss Edmond Dantes. Is that a bad thing?

• edited 2012-05-29 09:09:48

That is a downright terrible thing and you should feel bad for even considering it.

I mean, dear God. How depraved and foolish and twisted do you have to be?

By a lot, my friend. By a lot.

Then again, we get to say "Batman is better than Dragon Ball Z" (Which is an absolute truth of life, much like gravity)

• edited 2012-05-29 09:45:43

^^You're right. I do feel terrible.

Perhaps I should go back to crying on my Batman pillow again.

^ But is Superman better than DBZ? :D

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Neither would win because neither exists 

But is Superman better than DBZ? :D

Things that DBZ has not published: All Star Superman

Things that contain Superman:All Star Superman

therefore, Superman is better than DBZ. 

• As for why they'd fight... sparring match? Goku likes a good fight, and Supes would probably appreciate a friendly brawl against someone he can be sure he won't hurt too badly.

• Are there any other comic characters we could throw in to make this more interesting? (besides Batman; all hail Batman, etc, etc)

• edited 2012-05-29 14:33:14
    Has friends besides tanks now

I don't know if I can think of any who are quite so iconic while sitting at around the same power level. The first I can think of is Luffy, but he's nowhere near the level of Goku or Superman.

• They'd never fight anyway. They are both the greatest heroes of their world. I mean, I know Goku likes friendly fights, but Superman doesn't so...yeah.

I don't know if I can think of any who are quite so iconic while sitting at around the same power level. The first I can think of is Luffy, but he's nowhere near the level of Goku or Superman.

There's Wolverine. He can get pretty damn ridiculous.

They'd never fight anyway. They are both the greatest heroes of their world. I mean, I know Goku likes friendly fights, but Superman doesn't so...yeah.

Chances are it'd be like "There's this dude flying around Metropolis with big energy readings." and then the Justice League sends Superman to investigate cuz he's the one who's closer and then Goku's all like "Hey! You look strong! Let's fight!" and Superman's like "no" and then Goku's like yes and then superman's like "nuh-uh" and then goku's like "uh-huh"

make thirty minutes of this until Clark gets exasperated and accepts and fights him in a desert.

• Has friends besides tanks now

There's Wolverine. He can get pretty damn ridiculous.

How so? Must be pretty ridiculous if it's on par with teleportation, energy beams, and flight.

Hurm. On second thought, I was thinking of Hulk. Wolverine didn't survive a nuke and lift a mountain. That I know of.

Not like Wolverine hasn't regenerated from disintengration and similar shit, but whatever.

Wolverine survived the nuclear explosion in Civil War but it is widely agreed to be balderdash.

I dunno what is this Civil War thing you're talking about. Sounds like a stupid story where Tony and Steve were not the best brothers-from-another-mother in the whole universe this side of Clark and Bruce.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Hurm. On second thought, I was thinking of Hulk. Wolverine didn't survive a nuke and lift a mountain. That I know of.

Not like Wolverine hasn't regenerated from disintengration and similar shit, but whatever.

Hmm. Well, I would have guessed that the Hulk would be a more likely contender, if any Marvel hero.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

East vs. West debates are bad enough but when people use shonenshit to make their point...

I disagree with the notion that fighting shonen series are not equivalent to the overuse of the superhero genre in western comics. I can agree the quality of the character does not dictaminate power levels, but I find it a lopsided comparison: Superman's quality as a character varies wildly with the era and writer involved, and this applies to all superheroes in the big comics companies, while the manga industry characters have, usually only the interpretation of the original author.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Nah the best Marvel heroes for this match up would be either Thor, Beta Ray Bill*, Ms. Marvel and the Silver Surfer. All can fly, function in space, dish out a ton of punishment and take a serious beating.

*Fuck yeah viking space horse!

but but but hulk and goku would be best friends!

"HULK SMASH"

"Hooray i get to be punched by green giants now~"

see, perfect.

I disagree with the notion that fighting shonen series are not equivalent to the overuse of the superhero genre in western comics. I can agree the quality of the character does not dictaminate power levels, but I find it a lopsided comparison: Superman's quality as a character varies wildly with the era and writer involved, and this applies to all superheroes in the big comics companies, while the manga industry characters have, usually only the interpretation of the original author.

The issue is simply that manga has much better to offer than the standard shonen fare. Plus part of the issue is that, as you say, shonen manga doesn't offer the same variety in characterization that superheroes offer. (Imagine a world where only Stan Lee ever wrote Spider-Man. Just...imagine it)

• I'm a damn twisted person

Are you trying to say Thor and Goku wouldn't have a great time beating each other up Juan? Because that is dangerously close to heresy right there man.