If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

E 3 2012 general discussion

MrWMrW
edited 2012-06-05 12:13:08 in General

Making this thread in advance, so it doesn't inevitably clog up the existing Video Games thread.

So, what are you folks looking forward to?

Comments

• More offical Wii U information.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Seeing which companies make fools of themselves this time around.
  • Angry fanboy rage.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Hoping for a US release announcement for Fire Emblem: Awakening.

• If that don't work, use more gun.

Seeing which companies make fools of themselves this time around.

Pretty much this.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'd be pretty happy with some 3DS Zelda news.
  • Details about the One Piece: Pirate Warriors game coming out in November. I have some slight hope that it'll be dubbed, but that hope is diminishing rapidly.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Angry fanboy rage.

This. 

Also, presenters making fools of themselves. There's a particular way to imbue a presentation with personality, and a lot of the presenters that try it are very obnoxious. Contrast Miyamoto showing up on stage with a Master Sword and shield, with a big dumb goofy grin, which was several shades of awesome. E3 has a lot "wrong" with it, but the most grating for me is pretty much the way presenters do things in general. It's embarrassing every year and reminds me of the kind of artificial humour you get... well, everywhere else, essentially. 

Basically, I'm looking forward to Nintendo being dumb and endearing and then promptly going back to not caring. 

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Hoping for a US release announcement for Fire Emblem: Awakening.

This and:

Also, presenters making fools of themselves. There's a particular way to imbue a presentation with personality, and a lot of the presenters that try it are very obnoxious.

I'm not saying they should all pick up forumgoing and be total nerds, but I don't want the 'We're at a serious event so I'm going to be lightly humorous by making the most obvious puns that come to mind while trying to sell our object without any semblance of love or care for it. -Stepford wife smile-.'

• If that don't work, use more gun.

I wonder if Nintendo's gonna actually reveal anything new this year, instead of the same rehashed shit they brought up in the past few years.  Probably unlikely though.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

A new awakening of consumer-company synergy where consumer demand is met without stifling creative ambition and the hopes of new ideas and complex concepts are not crushed under the pressures of gimmicks and other successful franchises.

I'd also like to convince the tides to stop rolling in and out and ride my unicorn to avalon.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    >same rehashed shit they brought up in the past few years

Didn't they kinda reveal a new console last year?
  • LaiLai
    edited 2012-05-26 01:40:24

Was probably talking about the games and while I don't share the same... vitrol? dissatisfaction? Marioguy128 has, Nintendo does reuse a lot of concepts.

I wonder if Nintendo's gonna actually reveal anything new this year, instead of the same rehashed shit they brought up in the past few years.  Probably unlikely though.

I don't feel as though this is exactly a fair statement. It's true that they reuse IPs like hell, but Nintendo has done more than anyone to innovate in the industry. Calls of "gimmick" from some gamers aside, the DS and 3DS provide developers with tools that allow them to craft unique experiences, and while the Wii's controller was less well-utilised, it still showed a commitment to change. While Nintendo definitely has small innovation when it comes to their actual IPs, they've consistently pushed to provide developers with new ways to make games. From the SNES shoulder buttons to the de-facto handheld giant to motion controls, they're the company that always looks to take gaming somewhere else on a hardware basis. 

Am I the only one who think known IPs can be a useful tool for pushing new ideas? I mean Skyward Sword sold a lot of people of motion controls.

• edited 2012-05-26 02:09:20
    If that don't work, use more gun.

IPs was mainly what I was talking about, yes.  I won't deny that they innovate with their systems.  Tech-wise, ithey're pretty interesting.  I wonder what more they'll show of the WiiU this year.

Was probably talking about the games and while I don't share the same... vitrol? dissatisfaction? Marioguy128 has, Nintendo does reuse a lot of concepts.

Slight dislike, distaste, a bit disgruntled, really.

^Skyward Sword was pretty polarizing really.  I've seen a lot of people hate (and I mean hate) the game cause of motion controls, and drove people off of motion controls forever, while I've seen some like and was sold on them for the same reasons.

I don't see what's wrong with continuing their IPs. It's not like Resident Evil where they're bogged down in continuity. They're just connected by mascots and broad strokes ideas.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-05-26 02:10:29
    Kay. Thank you clarification.

There is a point of oversaurating said IPs and lack of anything new.

And I tend to agree about that part. Both from the company's refusal to make new IPs and the public's tendency to ignore them and go, "Where's the new Mario/Zelda?"

^^^Saying 'I've seen people who hate it' doesn't mean it's polarizing. I've seen people who hate Citizen Kane. That doesn't make it not an undisputed masterpiece.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

the motion controls turned me off of finishing the gane

I'm not denying there are people who disliked the game. I'm talking about popular consensus.

• While I won't deny that Skyward Sword did do a lot of things right, it also did quite a lot of things wrong. It certainly wasn't the "end all masterpiece" that Nintendo promised it to be.

Another thing I noticed was that was quite clear that Nintendo spent most of those five-plus years of development focusing on Motion controls, while building the whole game around it. A quasi-tech demo, basically. and if they're planning to continue using them, it would be better to de-emphasize it in favor of the bits that made Zelda fun. If they can rope in Retro Studios, even better, though I still want them to make their own IP.
  • You can change. You can.

I don't see the issue with known IPs provided they don't fall into formulaic stagnancy and I would like to point out that Skyward Sword is, for better or for worse, a break from the Zelda formula, if not a by a mile-long distance.

• Champion of the Whales

same rehashed shit they brought up in the past few years

What rehashed shit is that?

I felt it was mostly other gamers who advertised Skyward Sword as the Zelda to end Zeldas. Like Juan said, it was a break from the norm and I appreciated that. To be entirely fair, though, I don't think any Zelda game has bested Majora's Mask in terms of providing a ground-shaking experience. That game was unlike any Zelda game before or since, and while Ocarina is rightly considered a turning point for the series towards even greater heights, I think Majora's Mask will be remembered as a masterpiece that didn't just convert something great into a 3D version of the medium, but took it somewhere games generally did not tread. 

• edited 2012-05-27 10:58:29
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Another thing I noticed was that was quite clear that Nintendo spent most of those five-plus years of development focusing on Motion controls, while building the whole game around it. A quasi-tech demo, basically.

Ocarina of Time was basically the same thing but for 3D gameplay, you know.

Still, I do agree that Skyward Sword isn't the best Zelda game; I'd say it's not even in second or third, in fact. But it definitely is an experiment, which is something all too rare in today's game industry.

• Champion of the Whales

Thats always been Ninty's thing though seen they got spanked in the N64 days I think. They haven't been afraid to experiment with their main franchises.

• edited 2012-05-27 11:07:39
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, yeah. They're pretty much the only company whose releases I wouldn't often describe with the phrase "the same rehashed shit."

• While they do tend to fall back on their old guard, they often use them as vehicle for experimentation, with typically great results. Otherwise, we wouldn't get Metroid Prime, most Zelda games and Super Mario Galaxy.

In other news, who else wants to see what Monolith Soft has in store next? After Xenoblade, anything by them is sure to be wonderful. Considering how much they got out of the Wii with Xenoblade(huge, unique environments on par with The Elder Scrolls, an ambitious scope and style), seeing them do something for the Wii U would probably be even better. Though in the case of the 3DS, they're apparently developing that Capcom/Sega/Namco crossover SRPG.