If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When you are a witness to culture's loss

edited 2012-04-19 13:25:38 in General
"you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I mean, picture this. There was an on-line community, or a webpage or whatever. It gave some people laugh, annoyed some, had that peculiar kind of humour. I copied some of the pictures posted on it, downloaded some of the content.  And then it died, lost in the shifting currents of the Internet, and took all that was on it, with itself, to its digital oblivion. Now I feel a tiniest bit like a Medieval monk, going around with his daily monastic business, only once in a while reflecting on the books gathered in his library, that his may well be the last artifacts of the old times.

Luckily the Magical Adventures of Winnie the Pooh were spared such fate, but that must've been my motivation when I started a 'Tropes entry on them.

Have you ever felt this way? 

Comments

• JHMJHM
    edited 2012-04-19 13:32:30
    Here, There, Everywhere

Rarely, but I've had my moments. Listening to Bügsküll's Gargamelodies or Ludus' The Seduction, for example.

I really like Milne's Pooh books. I should read them again soon.

• edited 2012-04-19 15:12:15
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

Not really, but I know the feeling when I can't take someone seriously anymore, because they use an exaggerated metaphor.

Actually, now that I think of it, that reminds me of Encyclopedia Obscura, which I really liked to read. It's still there, but it hasn't updated since ages and the owner, Per Arne, seems to have vanished. It's very disheartening to take a look at the forums, whose last entries (ages old too) are about exactly that.

But as I said, it's still there, so that probably doesn't fit.

• Man, if you could've seen the Homestar Runner Fanstuff Wiki in its prime.
  • Well, the ED motto is/was "And nothing of value was lost." I wouldn't get that sentimental about it.

On a serious note, I remember reading a few years ago that the US Library of Congress was going to start downloading stuff from the Web for storage in order to protect material of cultural significance. The arguments you could have over what that extends to..

• If nothing else, the Utah NSA database will have everything.  Granted, not for the same purposes as Library of Congress.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

^^ Well, I wasn't talking about ED, but I confused the names.

Fucking ED, pushes the beautiful memories of EO out of my head...

• Fucking ED, pushes the beautiful memories of EO out of my head...

I read that as "fucking ED plushies".  I kind of want one now just as a conversation piece or something, but it'd probably wind up being a felt Goatse or something  :|

• edited 2012-04-19 16:21:40

Could simply be ED-Tan.

Now I want to see how one would look.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

^ ed-tan

You would expect something crazier.

• The plush doll, I meant.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Felt Goatse sounds quite a rad thing to have.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^If you're into that, I guess...

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

People've been having plush Cthulhus, distribution functions and chlamydia microbes. In such company, plush Goatse just can't not fit.

• Cthulhu, math, and viruses all have one important thing in common though.

They're not a goddamn distended anus.

• You can change. You can.

Man, I wonder if scientists sometimes sit down and classify things based on whether they are or not a distended anus.

you're a rocket scientist, bee, is this true?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    if there's anything science needs more of

it's distended anuses
  • We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    I thought Science needed more jet packs.

wait

distended anuses with jetpacks
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    i think you're on to something there
  • Sorry if I'm missing something here, but is Irdgck referring to anything specific?

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Allow me to explain [insert link to goatse . cx here, note don't go here it's a picture of a dude with a gaping anus, seriously]

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

People've been having plush Cthulhus, distribution functions and chlamydia microbes. In such company, plush Goatse just can't not fit.

>Plush Goatse

>Not talking about some weird sex toy.

Waaaaaaaiiit....

• I actually prefer ED-Tan to a lot of the other tans, because she's less child-like. If you made the eyes smaller she'd basically be a normal adult (cartoon) woman.

• Definitely not gay.

That feel bro

• edited 2012-04-20 11:13:43

Wikipe-tan is still my favorite website-tan.  Maybe it's her hairpieces.  Or maybe it's just because I like pixel art.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I can't bring myself to like ED-tan, based off of that picture. The eyes are too screwed up.

• No rainbow star

Is there a Tan-tan?

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.

Yeah.

She smells just as bad on the inside.