If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Republicans wish to block renewal of the Violence Against Women Act.

edited 2012-03-15 21:48:55 in Politics
I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

We all know nowadays how the Republican Party treats women.

But good news! They've found an even more disgusting way to be horrid bigots. The Violence Against Women Act is up for renewal in 2012. And Republicans don't want it to be renewed. Why? Well don't worry, it's not because they hate women, no sirree, it's because they hate LGBTQ people, Native Americans, and "illegal immigrants."

To clarify, the renewal act expands the legislation to incude the option for immigrants to acquire a temporary visa if they are victims of domestic abuse, allows for the persecution of domestic abuse in same-sex households, and lets Native Americans persecute non-natives who abuse natives.

So you see, Republicans aren't so bad! They don't just hate women exclusively, so you know they're not sexist!

http://www.fourthestatenewspaper.com/mobile/opinion/gop-opposes-violence-against-women-act-1.2806080

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/us/politics/violence-against-women-act-divides-senate.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

(I'll remove the cartoons if you want)

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

So they are FOR domestic abuse against women in the US?
    How can they spin it as a good idea at all? 

• "and lets Native Americans persecute non-natives who abuse natives."

Amazed this one isn't already in the legislation.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

No, they're just for the abuse of LGBTQ women, Native American women, and Mexican immigrant women. Totally different!

• I guess it's time for the obligatory "Why do people vote for these idiots again?" question.

• I guess it's time for the obligatory "Why do people vote for these idiots again?" question.

And the obligatory "because people are idiots" answer.

• edited 2012-03-15 22:00:50
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

^^^
    That is fine then I guess. :v

Seriously though, what are the chance of them getting away with it?

• edited 2012-03-15 22:00:53
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^^Because hating groups who are different in some way is one of humanity's most ancient traditions.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

I'd laugh if I wasn't crying about the current government weren't following in her footsteps.

• No rainbow star
    The republicans have to be a prank. They just HAVE to be!

One day they will start laughing and go, "Hah! We got you guys GOOD! I mean, really, you actually thought people could be that ass backwards!?"
  • edited 2012-03-16 10:17:48
    Loser

On second thought, it looks like I misinterpreted this.

• "but as far as I can tell, the reasons for opposition are a lot more nuanced than just simple bigotry or idiocy"

Republicans say the measure, under the cloak of battered women, unnecessarily expands immigration avenues by creating new definitions for immigrant victims to claim battery. More important, they say, it fails to put in safeguards to ensure that domestic violence grants are being well spent. It also dilutes the focus on domestic violence by expanding protections to new groups, like same-sex couples, they say.

Which parts are more nuanced? None of these are good reasons to outright oppose it.

• edited 2012-03-16 10:16:56
    Loser

Yeah, I realized my mistake after you pointed it out, so I edited out my post, sorry about that.

• Am I the only one who thinks political cartoons are the most basic observations with extreme strawmanning? If they can't understand politics, can they at least understand holding and/or supporting just extreme views only alienates your audience, meaning only true bigots/idiots read your comic?

Who would want that?

• Well, you always have to defend against the possibility that your bill may help brown people and gays.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ Ever since I figured that out, I became less interested in political cartoons.  Sure, they're witty and humorous, some of the time, but they unfortunately do very little to convince people who don't already agree with the side the cartoon is on.

• edited 2012-03-16 13:18:40

^^^Ideologues of all stripes love preaching to the choir because it satisfies their egos. Everyone outside the ideology agrees with your sentiment.

^It would help if they were actually funny rather than preachy. 

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

Well, I suppose that by preaching to the choir exceptionally well, those political comics are good ones.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa